• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA with 9mm , Any Recommendations ?

just cleaned my box

haaa! I bet you did!

That being said, I knew who Cooper was, and always read the things he had to say in whatever gun magazine had his coopers corner nonsense. I think it was american handgunner. I often found myself thinking, wow, this guy is a cranky old bitch stuck in the past whining about almost everything, he's probably still pissed we don't set milk bottles out on the box by the doorstep waiting for the milk man to refill them in the morning, and now can go to the supermarket and buy ourselves full gallons of multiple varieties of milk, fat free, 1%, 2% skim, whole, soy, almond, even premade strawberry, or chocolate milk! THE TRAVESTY!
Don't the milk drinkers of today know the origins of milk from a cow? it came out one way, it was unflavored, we had to go out into the fields to get it, and it was unpasteurized! That's the way it was and we liked it!
we didn't need our milk improved, we liked it going bad in a day or two, and needing to reload our milk bottles more often, and we liked our inefficient internal combustion engines with their crank start engines, these damn kids going to their carburators, and sin of sins- Electronic fuel injection! in my day we didn't have any of it! and it was BETTER!

i'd laugh at that dope running over a hill with an empty single stack, then, take the time to take out my fancy open gun, turn the dot on, and shoot him in the ass with it faster than he could wax poetically about how lovely a 2 second reload is

Tons of gun improvements and innovation have come from the shooting sports, innovations that would not have been accepted, or even tested if we all had the attitude that grumpy old man had. The military could keep losing soldiers because they couldn't acquire their targets and get rounds on them if they never started accepting the speed advantage that the various red dot sights give you. This came directly from uspsa competition.
So, if you want to whine about how the games have strayed, you may as well regret the advantages our soldiers now have.
USPSA is one of the proving grounds for guns and accessories, and is where plenty of innovation comes from. You want more ammo? thank the "gamers" who wanted more than 8
You find someone who is happy with going into battle with a gun that only holds 8 rounds, you've found yourself someone who's not going to have a very long life span.
If you need more than 8 in your gun and a couple of magazines then you need more practice? Please! we all need more practice, but that isn't going to solve anything if you have more bad guys than you do bullets.

Furthermore, there is a good reason why his baby- the scout rifle- a shorter barrel, light weight, bolt action rifle in .308, with a forward mounted minimal magnification scope- was never really put into significant production by anyone. Because it was full on retard.
but maybe they liked slower shooting, heavy recoil guns, huge muzzle blast guns that will get you killed after you give away your position with that first shot and can't follow it up with anything quickly
Slap a red dot on an AK and rounds will be on target faster, and more effectively than with that silly waste of money

So, in summary-
Cooper- probably still pissed we have heat in our homes and don't have to chop down trees and split logs all year round so we stay warm in the winter while we type away on the fancy interweb to post our thoughts rather than type them out on a type writer, then crumple up the paper, and start over again when we change our mind on something, or make a mistake, then take our letter down to the post office and send it in to the letters to the editor section, and wait two months of magazine production to see if our letter made it through the screener and got published. This inefficiency is exactly what kept him in such high regard by the gun store commandos who never get out there and shoot, but hang out in the store, talking with the clerk, while spitting dip into your dunkin donuts cup. No group could effectively challenge his outdated nonsense while he held the soap box in the published magazine, which, if you never got out there and DID IT, you believed was gospel cuz the colonel said it was so!

CZ- great gun for production, but you probably won't find many in MA, worth the extra money over the glock.

Mike's S&W- if you buy that, you're doing better than any deal on a glock you'll find around here.
that shoots really nicely, and i'd say nicer than a glock 17, and you'll save money on needing to buy all those other accessories to get started shooting.

Cooper (again) and people who complain about how the gun games have strayed from their so called roots- people who are unwilling to acknowledge they were games then, they are games now, and people can play the game better than they did, because they are faster, practiced more, and got better equipment, and as the players evolved, so did the game. Players can still shoot USPSA with their old equipment, no one says you HAVE to shoot it as fast as possible, they can play at any speed they want. They can use cover if it's there and they want to. Sure, they won't beat the majority of competitors, because we recognize it's a game, and accept that. But if you wanna play like that, and are having fun, no one is going to force you to do it different.
PPC hasn't changed, that's gonna be the next big thing I hear.

Now, buy Mike's gun so you're ready for the season when it starts up in a few months and I won't be on here to be the voice of reason because I'll be off shooting

Regarding all the discussion regarding "cooper"... i dont know jack about any of it really... but what i can tell is that people are passionate about their view, and that means its an active community that people care about. That makes me happy. :)

Nothing scares me more in this world more than when large groups of people have absolute consensus on everything....

I plan on attending the practices on Wednesdays at the Harvard sportsmans club starting in the next few weeks... i'm super excited to get started.

Thanks again,
-Lenny

well, i love my glock 35, and think it's awesome which is why I leave my SVI home about 4 times a year, my 17, i'm indifferent towards, the 23 is one of the like 3 guns i've sold in my life, i hated it that much.
I havent fired any M&P's except for Mike's, and that gun shoots great.
granted, it's had work done to it, so that makes it way nicer than a stock glock.

well, i love my glock 35, and think it's awesome which is why I leave my SVI home about 4 times a year, my 17, i'm indifferent towards, the 23 is one of the like 3 guns i've sold in my life, i hated it that much.
I havent fired any M&P's except for Mike's, and that gun shoots great.
granted, it's had work done to it, so that makes it way nicer than a stock glock.

At some point it's really a personally preference. I think both can be modified to have great triggers although the good M&P and Glock triggers I've tried do a have a slightly different feel for sure. Glocks do seem to have a "mushy" feeling... which I like for some reason. Ironically... the G23 is one of the few Glocks I don't have.. the only one in .40 I don't have. The 35 is a great competition gun.

Anything Mike has shot for a bit... you know it's gotta be good.

haaa! I bet you did!

That being said, I knew who Cooper was, and always read the things he had to say in whatever gun magazine had his coopers corner nonsense. I think it was american handgunner. I often found myself thinking, wow, this guy is a cranky old bitch stuck in the past whining about almost everything, he's probably still pissed we don't set milk bottles out on the box by the doorstep waiting for the milk man to refill them in the morning, and now can go to the supermarket and buy ourselves full gallons of multiple varieties of milk, fat free, 1%, 2% skim, whole, soy, almond, even premade strawberry, or chocolate milk! THE TRAVESTY!
Don't the milk drinkers of today know the origins of milk from a cow? it came out one way, it was unflavored, we had to go out into the fields to get it, and it was unpasteurized! That's the way it was and we liked it!
we didn't need our milk improved, we liked it going bad in a day or two, and needing to reload our milk bottles more often, and we liked our inefficient internal combustion engines with their crank start engines, these damn kids going to their carburators, and sin of sins- Electronic fuel injection! in my day we didn't have any of it! and it was BETTER!

i'd laugh at that dope running over a hill with an empty single stack, then, take the time to take out my fancy open gun, turn the dot on, and shoot him in the ass with it faster than he could wax poetically about how lovely a 2 second reload is

Tons of gun improvements and innovation have come from the shooting sports, innovations that would not have been accepted, or even tested if we all had the attitude that grumpy old man had. The military could keep losing soldiers because they couldn't acquire their targets and get rounds on them if they never started accepting the speed advantage that the various red dot sights give you. This came directly from uspsa competition.
So, if you want to whine about how the games have strayed, you may as well regret the advantages our soldiers now have.
USPSA is one of the proving grounds for guns and accessories, and is where plenty of innovation comes from. You want more ammo? thank the "gamers" who wanted more than 8
You find someone who is happy with going into battle with a gun that only holds 8 rounds, you've found yourself someone who's not going to have a very long life span.
If you need more than 8 in your gun and a couple of magazines then you need more practice? Please! we all need more practice, but that isn't going to solve anything if you have more bad guys than you do bullets.

Furthermore, there is a good reason why his baby- the scout rifle- a shorter barrel, light weight, bolt action rifle in .308, with a forward mounted minimal magnification scope- was never really put into significant production by anyone. Because it was full on retard.
but maybe they liked slower shooting, heavy recoil guns, huge muzzle blast guns that will get you killed after you give away your position with that first shot and can't follow it up with anything quickly
Slap a red dot on an AK and rounds will be on target faster, and more effectively than with that silly waste of money

So, in summary-
Cooper- probably still pissed we have heat in our homes and don't have to chop down trees and split logs all year round so we stay warm in the winter while we type away on the fancy interweb to post our thoughts rather than type them out on a type writer, then crumple up the paper, and start over again when we change our mind on something, or make a mistake, then take our letter down to the post office and send it in to the letters to the editor section, and wait two months of magazine production to see if our letter made it through the screener and got published. This inefficiency is exactly what kept him in such high regard by the gun store commandos who never get out there and shoot, but hang out in the store, talking with the clerk, while spitting dip into your dunkin donuts cup. No group could effectively challenge his outdated nonsense while he held the soap box in the published magazine, which, if you never got out there and DID IT, you believed was gospel cuz the colonel said it was so!

CZ- great gun for production, but you probably won't find many in MA, worth the extra money over the glock.

Mike's S&W- if you buy that, you're doing better than any deal on a glock you'll find around here.
that shoots really nicely, and i'd say nicer than a glock 17, and you'll save money on needing to buy all those other accessories to get started shooting.

Cooper (again) and people who complain about how the gun games have strayed from their so called roots- people who are unwilling to acknowledge they were games then, they are games now, and people can play the game better than they did, because they are faster, practiced more, and got better equipment, and as the players evolved, so did the game. Players can still shoot USPSA with their old equipment, no one says you HAVE to shoot it as fast as possible, they can play at any speed they want. They can use cover if it's there and they want to. Sure, they won't beat the majority of competitors, because we recognize it's a game, and accept that. But if you wanna play like that, and are having fun, no one is going to force you to do it different.
PPC hasn't changed, that's gonna be the next big thing I hear.

Now, buy Mike's gun so you're ready for the season when it starts up in a few months and I won't be on here to be the voice of reason because I'll be off shooting

Have you read "Cooper on Handguns"?

I plan on attending the practices on Wednesdays at the Harvard sportsmans club starting in the next few weeks... i'm super excited to get started.

Thanks again,
-Lenny

Hey Lenny,

Look forward to seeing you at the Practice a few NES's shoot the Practice weekly. Hope to see you there.

Figured "Super" should have another reason to jab at me again. Been away for a couple of days.
Super? Hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year! Really!
I like to jab this stuff back and forth.
Makes the place more fun.

More of a riding horsey, playing with cap guns thing

Too much, Thanks for the chuckle I needed that today. Glad the "Cap-Guns" I bought are able to shoot real bullets. I understand SASS is a lot of fun too. You probably have no desire to hear about the origins of SASS, so I won't bore you with it. Do love the Vaqueros thought and the yellow boy in 45 LC. Never had cap guns like that when I was a little kid. Probably would have taken out an eye.
And I do still have fun playing horsey.

Are they holding practice tomorrow night ? If so, I wanted to come by and check it out... meet people, etc.

-Lenny

I will be there as well - name's Mike, look for the guy in the red polo shirt. Be prepared to have fun!

ETA: Also, I have a Glock 17 and would be glad to let you try it out. Trying before you buy is always a good idea!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom