UTAH CCW

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Wooooooot it arrived today! Only took two weeks. $59 for 5 years.

Thank you again Darius! [wink]

Last edited:
It'd be nice if you could overlay that into Google Maps and generate a "freedom path" for driving to MN.

It seems that a few communist states are going to be in the way, for a short period of time, at least. :(

Gray States

ME and CT both mail order permits on a shall issue basis.

RI issues permits on a discretionary basis, and you have to go there in person if approved.

Derek, you might want to double check your map. South Carolina does NOT honor a NH permit according to Packing.org. That one jumped out at me since my brother in law lives in SC.

Or do you have info that packing.org does not?

sdavid said:
You may want to recheck FL. After their no retreat law went into effect, non-res permits are not honored. I didn't believe this until I looked.

Unless you have a resident NH permit, I wouldn't hop a flight yet.
Florida's non-honoring of Non-Resident permits pre-dates the no retreat law.

sdavid said:
You may want to recheck FL. After their no retreat law went into effect, non-res permits are not honored. I didn't believe this until I looked.

Unless you have a resident NH permit, I wouldn't hop a flight yet.

Sean,

Where is that listed? I guess I'll have to apply in FL as well.

Packing.org has had the information about Florida and Michigan both honoring only resident licenses for some time. OTOH, you can also check off Ohio, since it too recognizes your Utah non-resident license.

Ken

Rob Boudrie said:

I can vouch for that. I almost did Florida instead of Utah.

Floida accepts NO non-resident CCW permits, and hasn't for at least the last 2 years.

Nickle said:
Rob Boudrie said:

I can vouch for that. I almost did Florida instead of Utah.

Floida accepts NO non-resident CCW permits, and hasn't for at least the last 2 years.

Nickle, it goes back further than that. My first FL CCW application went in during the Summer of 2001 and they didn't recognize NH NR or I would never have applied in FL. We had planned on going to FL in December 2001 and I had already had a NH NR CCW for a few years prior to that.

LenS said:
Nickle said:
I went back only as far as I knew for sure.

Nickle, and so did I. [wink]

I don't know the genesis, but I'll give a SWAG that FL probably was like that since they started issuing CCWs.
Pretty close. It dates from "day 1" of the reciprocity provisions of the law, which I believe were added after the original law. It was subsequently reinforced with a formal opinion issued by the state of Florida.

A couple questions:

1)Packing.org states that you have to take a course from Utah certified instructor to get your Utah CCW. Was this really the case? Any work arounds?

2) Since FL doesn't reciprocate with any non-resident permits if your goal is to get maximum state coverage wouldn't it make more sense to apply for a FL non resident CCW instead of Utah? (Yes, I understand that Utah is half the price of FL)

killington said:
A couple questions:

1)Packing.org states that you have to take a course from Utah certified instructor to get your Utah CCW. Was this really the case? Any work arounds?

2) Since FL doesn't reciprocate with any non-resident permits if your goal is to get maximum state coverage wouldn't it make more sense to apply for a FL non resident CCW instead of Utah? (Yes, I understand that Utah is half the price of FL)

No work around for the Utah certified instructor. Cross-X is a Utah certified instructor and he was kind enough to give me a class and recommendation.

The reason why I went with the Utah permit was because Minnesota recognizes it. My whole family lives in MN and I go there a couple of times a year.

I will be sending in my FL application after the holidays as well.

killington said:
A couple questions:

1. No work-around, but this is easy to resolve. There are a number of Utah certified instructors in MA. SR and I know one very well. I also think (not 100% certain) that Ken might be one. Some of these folks are multi-state certified so you can take one course and get certs for FL, UT, MA, etc.

2. This depends WHERE you are likely to travel. I had plans on going to FL, so UT didn't cut it. On the other hand, when I was going out to Microsoft, a WA CCW capability might have been nice (but not necessary given the sheltered life MS had us under) and UT would have done the trick where FL won't. So each person's mileage will vary here.

killington said:
A couple questions:

A1) No work arounds around that. But, there are locals that are Utah certified. Where do you live? There are instructors in VT and Mass, as well as other states in the area.

A2) In my case there was several advantages to Utah over Florida. I don't intend on going to Florida. Utah and NH cover more states than Florida and NH, including Texas, where I do go occassionally. Utah keeps your info private, it's public record in Florida, and I don't want to advertise. And lastly, even if everything else was the same, Utah was far easier to do business with.

if we have any utah instructors they should see if we cant set up a NES training day. Set the pricing and we all meet at the range of the instructors choice and go thru the motions.
I myself was looking into this today as i mailed my NH Non-res permit out today.
im sure theres at least 2 or three of us, myself included that would be interested.
plus its just an excuse to go shooting :p

I am a Utah certified firearms instructor. If there is sufficient interest, I could put together an NES Utah LTC training day, and it wouldn't cost too much.

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

Cross-X said:
I am a Utah certified firearms instructor. If there is sufficient interest, I could put together an NES Utah LTC training day, and it wouldn't cost too much.

Darius Arbabi
massgunlaw.com

I'm interested. My folks are in Washinton so a Utah permit would cover me there.

Utah

If you have an NRA instructor certificate and are willing to fill out a few forms, you can become a Utah certified instructor by mail for $5.00.

I just submitted by LTC renewal, so I have time to do the UT instrucotr paperwork.

And yes, UT will let you be the certifying instructor on your own application.

If anyone wants to try for RI, I have a supply of "Army L" targets I could bring if Darius asks me to bring them. Army L targets are needed for the RI range test, but they are hard to find since they are so large.

I'd be willing, too.

I've been offering to do the Utah paperwork for anybody who takes one of my other courses for $5. If I honestly know that somebody already knows the basics, I can do a very quick review of the Home Firearm Safety course content, plus the Utah paperwork in about an hour. A group would take a bit more time, but we could always replace the safety demonstration part with observation of behavior on the range.

Ken

Excellent feedback. From your reply's it appears that getting a Utah Certified Instructor class under my belt is not *Impossible* but actually *Possible* since we have certified instructors in our midst. That overcomes the largest hurdle between Utah and FL that I saw. On additional review I see that Utah actually has slightly better coverage. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I would be interested in a group Utah course.

Regarding the post about getting the Rhode Island range test while the Utah test is administered. I have a sailboat docked in Newport, RI for 6 months a year and spend a bunch of time down there in the summer months. While a range test and RI application is something that I'm always thinking about I've decided not to even apply for a RI CCW on the fear that it will hurt my MA renewal. I would love to get a RI CCW has I probably spend more time during the summer in RI than MA but I'm have no interest in damaging my chances for renewal in MA, especially if I move from my green friendly town to a not so friendly town in MA down the road.

For those in the know about the latest happenings in RI is my logic sound or have things changed and I should attempt my applicaton????

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I might be interested as well. I've got MA, FL, CT, NH, ME. One more can't hurt (except I might need a bigger wallet...)

Back
Top Bottom