Utah / Florida Permit Class April 20, 2013

DavidC77

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hello All

Northampton Revolver Club (Nton RC) will be holding a Utah / Florida Permit Class on April 20, 2013.

Nton RC: .northamptonrevolverclub.org/training

The class will be done by Mr. Robert McDermott.

See his info at this link: McDermott & Company, Inc., Robert J. McDermott, Firearm Instructor.

He is also a member of NES McDermott & Company, Inc..

Nton RC is in Northampton, Ma on Ryan Road.

If you want to take the class fill out the form and send it to me by April 15, 2013.

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you the form, or use the e-mail link in the Nton RC webpage .northamptonrevolverclub.org/training (bottom of the Nton RC webpage).

The cost of the class is $100.00.

The class is limited to the 1st 25 people that sign up, so don't wait till April to send me your info/check.

The class starts at 9 AM.

The Ut/Fl permit allows you to carry in around 38 States.

This class is not a NRA Class, it will not give you what you need for a MA LTC, there is no live fire in the class and the class runs for about 4 to 5 hours.

The class will give you what you need to get your Non-Resident Utah and Florida Permits.

It is a good idea to take this class even if you do not have your Ma LTC yet. It may not help you get your Ma LTC, but it can't hurt either. If you have your Ma LTC or you are waiting on your Ma LTC take this class and get your Ut/Fl paperwork started.

Hope to see you at the class.

Last edited:
How long is the class? Will they do the fingerprints there w/the proper cards?

The class is about 4 to 5 hours long.

You will get the "Fingerprint Cards" in each package you get (one Ut, one Fl), then you just go to any Police Station and have them finger print you onto the card.

Make sure you have the officer sign the front of the card (were it needs to be done, you will see it on the card) and have them sign and give their info on the back upper right hand side of the FP Card.

It will also be talked about in the class, so that way you know how to fill it out.

The class is about 4 to 5 hours long.

You will get the "Fingerprint Cards" in each package you get (one Ut, one Fl), then you just go to any Police Station and have them finger print you onto the card.

Make sure you have the officer sign the front of the card (were it needs to be done, you will see it on the card) and have them sign and give their info on the back upper right hand side of the FP Card.

It will also be talked about in the class, so that way you know how to fill it out.
From what I understand most Police Depts won't do this anymore. We have a Security Dept here that does them. Would that be acceptable?

From what I understand most Police Depts won't do this anymore. We have a Security Dept here that does them. Would that be acceptable?

I'm not 100 % sure about that, I think it may be OK, but Robert can answer that at the class (or you can use the link above and send him that question).

My local Police had no problem doing it for me, I had also checked with two other departments around me (one a City, one a Town) and they would have done it, but I was able to hook up with my local PD so I didn't need to. I would think that most Police Departments wouldn't have a problem doing it. You may want to give them a donation to their Pizza Fund if they hym and haw about it [smile] [wink] , Robert will be able to answer that better at the class.

Last edited:
Excellent course to take with Bob! Took his Utah/FL course at Boston Firearms last year. He knows the stuff like the back of his hand. Excellent instructor and informative. Some of the stuff is from his MA firearms course but it so surprising how FL and UTAH differs from MA.

Excellent course to take with Bob! Took his Utah/FL course at Boston Firearms last year. He knows the stuff like the back of his hand. Excellent instructor and informative. Some of the stuff is from his MA firearms course but it so surprising how FL and UTAH differs from MA.

Thanks for adding that, he is a great instructor.

He did a class at the club about a year and a half (or so) ago that I took, he did a great job.

I kind of took over planing events like this and the Women On Target Class that we are having in May.

If this UT/FL Class go's good I think I will plan another one for late summer, early fall.

... Some of the stuff is from his MA firearms course but it so surprising how FL and UTAH differs from MA.

FL accepts MA LTC courses and does not require an additional course like Utah does...so it might differ from MA (my guess the differences is mostly the Utah stuff), but with the MA course you are good to go for FL license.

FL accepts MA LTC courses and does not require an additional course like Utah does...so it might differ from MA (my guess the differences is mostly the Utah stuff), but with the MA course you are good to go for FL license.

Florida does not accept a Ma LTC if you want to carry in Fl.

Check out this map

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

As far as using your Ma LTC to get a Florida (Fl) LTC I was told by Fl that my Ma LTC wasn't good enough, I had to also supply my Utah LTC in order to get my Fl LTC.

If it worked for you than that was good, was it just a short time ago???

I got mine about 8 months ago from Fl and what I said above is what I had to do, so if you did yours awhile ago I would say Fl has changed, if you just got yours then they must have just changed from when I got mine...

Last edited:
Florida does not accept a MA LTC to carry in FL - and I hope my posting did not imply that it does.

BUT Florida accepts the LTC-course you have to take to get your MA LTC as a proof that you have taken a firearms safety or training course. (here are the FL guidelines: Acceptable Training Documentation - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Your MA LTC itself is not good enough (as you were told by FL), but the course completion certificate of a MA-LTC course is. My guess is - FL does not want to deal with 50 different licenses and find out by themselves what kind of training had been necessary to get that license...they just want to see your training documentation.

I got my FL license 4 weeks ago (submitted paperwork end of October 2012) and sent a copy of my 'MA-LTC course' that I took in 2010 as proof of training.

Florida does not accept a MA LTC to carry in FL - and I hope my posting did not imply that it does..

Nope I didn't think that, I just wanted to post that so folks wouldn't get confuzed.

BUT Florida accepts the LTC-course you have to take to get your MA LTC as a proof that you have taken a firearms safety or training course.

Your MA LTC itself is not good enough (as you were told by FL), but the course completion certificate of a MA-LTC course is.

I got my FL license 4 weeks ago (submitted paperwork end of October 2012) and sent a copy of my 'MA-LTC course' that I took in 2010 as proof of training.

OK Good. Florida must have just changed because when I sent mine in they wouldn't accept just the Ma LTC.

Thanks for the info, I do know that they will take the Utah class as an approved class (if you don't have the Ma LTC). I ran into a "Selective State Employee" that wasn't going to accept the Ut class at 1st, I then had to send a letter that Robert gives you in the class that is from the "Head Person in Fl" in which she tells Robert that the Ut Class is a approved Fl Class.

One thing you want to make sure you do is fill out all of the forms correctly, I had one of mine sent back to me, it was crazy why it was sent back, on their form it said to have the LEO filling out the fingerprint card to sign it with his info "only on the back" , well that wasn't good enough for the "Selective State Employee" that was doing mine, she wanted the LEO to sign the front of the card also. It was no big deal, they sent the card back to me and I had the LEO sign the front, it was just a PITA and I had to wait longer to get my LTC from them.

Some of these "Selective State Employee's" just like to make you jump through extra hoops sometimes...

There are numerous other reasons members of the public need PD fingerprints, and this is a standard service most PDs offer - often at a nominal fee. There are certain immigration papers that require a ten print card, and my wife had to get one for a private background check company whose services (no doubt with a kickback to the school) were required for entry into a grad nursing program.

So, refusing to do a print service is targeting much more than gun owners.

Thanks Rob...

I was answering him with me just thinking about a LTC part of it.

I wasn't even thinking as you say "The Other Reasons".

That might not end well for the LEO if he/she refuzed to print someone.

Back
Top Bottom