UTAH PERMIT

Does anyone know how much the NR Florida permit is? That combined with my Resident NH permit opens up the most possiable states. Only thing that sucks is Ill have to also get a Maine NR to be able to carry around New England. The only one that srews me is MA but thats why I moved out! Its just to bad I live on its border and work in it![sad]

Does anyone know how much the NR Florida permit is? That combined with my Resident NH permit opens up the most possiable states. Only thing that sucks is Ill have to also get a Maine NR to be able to carry around New England. The only one that srews me is MA but thats why I moved out! Its just to bad I live on its border and work in it![sad]

$117, the same as a resident permit. The interesting bit about Florida is that there is no way to select resident or NR on the app. They issue you one or the other based upon the address you provide on the form.

Alaska, Arizona, and Vermont, don't require permits do they?

No, it's legal to carry openly or concealed in all three of those states without a permit. Alaska & Arizona issue them, but they're not required.

Our MA state ltc class is excepted in Florida.

FL will accept any proof of firearms training or handling, they're very liberal about it. A military ID is enough for a Florida CWFL.

I think the real difference is that Utah is a little bit cheaper to get but you have to take a Utah CCW class whereas FL is a bit more expensive to get but the MA LTC class is enough to obtain it.

Correct. The initial cost is about the same, but Utah is much cheaper to renew. A Florida license is also good for 7 years.

How hard is it to get an out of state florida CCP? According to the US carry website you get a few more states with florida's than Utah's. No?

Not hard at all. Below is a link to all the info you'll need to apply.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Florida looks easy. You don't need to take any more classes. You can get a Florida permit even without a MA permit.

Correct on all points.

$117, the same as a resident permit. The interesting bit about Florida is that there is no way to select resident or NR on the app. They issue you one or the other based upon the address you provide on the form.

That's because Florida's Concealed Weapon or Firearms License is like Connecticut's State Pistol Permits, they only issue one, and resident or non-resident status is only determined by the address on your license/permit. It's very convenient when you're going to be moving to a state like that, because you can carry from day one.

Florida just recently changed things around a bit too, they're not putting addresses on the license itself anymore, but if you move you still have to notify DOACS.

Just out of curiosity where can you get the fingerprint cards done?

I have no info on Utah as I've never been permitted there or even looked into it, but when I lived in MA I had my prints done at the local PD for non-res. permits. One time I went there and was told to come back at a certain time when someone would be free to do it; I'd suggest asking in advance to be sure that they can do it. Also, expect some strange looks or confused questions if when you go to have it done.

I was just informed that my Utah License is sitting at my house waiting for me. took the class in april 10th sent out the paper work on the 12th. received my license Friday June 18th.

Just out of curiosity where can you get the fingerprint cards done?

i took my class with the mass firearms school in framingham and they did the finger prints there as well as the photo after the class. i believe i've heard of other Utah classes doing the same. Also i believe you can just go to your local PD to get them done (if you do that make sure you get 2 sets done incase the first set gets rejected)

I was just informed that my Utah License is sitting at my house waiting for me. took the class in april 10th sent out the paper work on the 12th. received my license Friday June 18th.

i took my class with the mass firearms school in framingham and they did the finger prints there as well as the photo after the class. i believe i've heard of other Utah classes doing the same. Also i believe you can just go to your local PD to get them done (if you do that make sure you get 2 sets done incase the first set gets rejected)

Same dates and I also received mine today. [smile]

[smile]
I took the course at Mass Firearms also. The following Saturday 4-17-10. The paperwork was mailed in on 4-19-10, the check was cashed on 4-28-10. The license came in the mail today 6-19-10!!!! Now I can go to the GOAL banquet and show it off thanks to Major Boom Boom.
[smile]

Last I heard, FL is pursuing a reciprocity agreement with Maine.

That would be great, but would Florida honor Maine Non-Resident or just resident ?

As of now I have;

* MA LTC-A
* NH Non-Res LTC
* ME Non-Res LTC
* UT Non-Res LTC

The only other one I was concidering was Florida as I go there every couple of years.

That would be great, but would Florida honor Maine Non-Resident or just resident ?...

Florida will not honor any NR permit. Also, a Maine resident permit is not recognized in FL. So the answer is no.

P.S. This is as of this date (06/22/2010). What becomes of these rules in the near future is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
I've got a CT permit and a FL, UT and NH non resident permit.

The NH one is a no brainer, simple and cheap.
I got the Utah one originally then found out that if I want to carry in FL I need a FL Ltc.
I will probably not renew my Utah permit.

That would be great, but would Florida honor Maine Non-Resident or just resident ?

If, and I stress the "if," Florida enters into a reciprocity agreement with Maine, I'd assume that FL will only recognize a resident Maine license/permit, since that's how they do things now.

The only other one I was concidering was Florida as I go there every couple of years.

It's worth it if you travel around the US at all; according to the always current reciprocity list it allows a non-FL resident CWFL holder to carry in 28 of the US states.

Depedning on your lifestyle though, you might not need the license from FL. No permit is needed in FL for carry in the home/business, or carrying it loaded while "securely encased" in the car (glove compartments qualify for this, among many other things), including hotel rooms and rental homes. I know some people only carry in the car or home, etc.

A great thing about the FL permit is it lets you carry for a huge portion of the drive down 95 from MA; with a non-res. FL permit you can carry on your person from Pennsylvania through Delaware, lock it up at the Maryland border and through DC, then take it out of FOPA 86 compliant storage and carry on your person through Virginia & North Carolina, glove compartment carry through South Carolina, and carry on your person again through Georgia and into Florida.

I just did out the math, that means if you have a FL non-res. you can have a gun available in the car for 70% of the 1,300 or so miles of your driving trip (depending on where you start in MA and end in FL), granted it means paying attention to state borders and all. You'd increase that number even more if you factor in carrying in MA on an unrestricted LTC, getting a CT non-res., or by driving around DC & Maryland, which can save money on tolls too. If you time your gas stops and everything right you won't have much to worry about, if you've driven it before it's fairly easy to keep track of.

FL is also friendly to military members getting licensed; military training counts as a "safety course" for obtaining the permit, and they extend the license if the soldier is deployed more than 35 miles from home to prevent more fees and similar issues caused by expiration.

And who doesn't want to have a gun license in their pocket issued by Charles Bronson? [smile]

Florida will not honor any NR permit. Also, a Maine resident permit is not recognized in FL. So the answer is no.

P.S. This is as of this date (06/22/2010). What becomes of these rules in the near future is anybody's guess.

We're talking a hypothetical here, if/when FL enters into an agreement with Maine. Right now they don't have one.

The NH one is a no brainer, simple and cheap.

NH non-res. used to be cheap, it's $100 now.

Back
Top Bottom