• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UV-5R CN Names

*crackle*
Hey now!

I just got a Baufeng UV-5R and ran the software on my PC to program station/repeaters into the radio. The station frequencies stick, but not the CN-Names. I programmed the Andover, Westford and Paxton receivers but they only show the frequencies, not the station names. I did reboot the PC and the radio but they still show only the frequencies not the station names. Also any good repeaters out in the Amherst/Hadley/Springfield area when I am out that way? I have the ARRL Repeater Directory, but if some are more active than others, that's a win! :)

Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

-g-
Over and out.
*crackle*

Try switching from frequency mode to channel mode by pressing the orange button on the front.

-JR

Try switching from frequency mode to channel mode by pressing the orange button on the front.

-JR

And the channel names only display on the top channel. The bottom channel shows the frequency, but the channel number is next to it on the right.

I ended up picking up two of these. I've been leaving one of them on my town and the next town's police frequencies when I am just hanging around the house or waiting in the car. I can hear my hometown police even if I am ~25 miles away.

I'm half-ass studying for my technician license and I hope to do something about that in the next couple of months.

And the channel names only display on the top channel. The bottom channel shows the frequency, but the channel number is next to it on the right.

I ended up picking up two of these. I've been leaving one of them on my town and the next town's police frequencies when I am just hanging around the house or waiting in the car. I can hear my hometown police even if I am ~25 miles away.

I'm half-ass studying for my technician license and I hope to do something about that in the next couple of months.

if you program it with chirp you can change the setting for both the top and bottom channels.

The CN names can only be a certain length. I found this out through trial and error. You may want to try and abbreviate.

Hopefully this helps.

Half-ass studying now too. I was told to get the Q&A version of the AARL Book and high-lite all the correct answers and study from that.
I also own a pair of Baofengs. Great radios for short money. Good luck.

Go to a the "Tech in a Day" session set up by CAARA.... Fastest and easiest way I know to get your Tech license....[thumbsup]

Go to a the "Tech in a Day" session set up by CAARA.... Fastest and easiest way I know to get your Tech license....[thumbsup]
The CAARA club held their Tech-in-a-Day last month, so the next will be in the spring. If you don't want to wait that long you can easily do it studying on your own. The Q&A book is great. Plus go to http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ and grind through the practice tests until you are passing them most of the time.

CAARA holds test sessions on the 2nd Sunday of each month. Once you are ready, stop in for a test. I think it's $15 which all goes to the FCC.

Err... the bottom channel is toggleable, you can swap between a/b, and both can be set to either display as the channel number, channel name, or frequency.

The menu items to set these are something like MDF-A MDF-B, IIRC.

I'll send you a PM on this but the way to change between Freq, Channel and Name labels is to:

1. Press Menu
2. Scroll to menu item 21 for "A"
3. Arrow up or down to pick desired label
4. Press Menu again to confirm
5. Scroll to menu item 22 for "B"
6. Arrow up or down to pick desired label
7. Press Menu again to confirm
8. Press Exit

That should let you do what you want to do!

Cheers!

Err... the bottom channel is toggleable, you can swap between a/b, and both can be set to either display as the channel number, channel name, or frequency.

The menu items to set these are something like MDF-A MDF-B, IIRC.

Thanks. I also found it under the Settings tab in CHIRP, under 'Basic Settings'. It has pull down menus for both channels, that let you select Channel Name, Channel Number, or Frequency.

I find using CHIRP to be a thousand times easier than navigating the radio menu. Plus, it is really easy to clone both of my radios every time I find a new freqency I want to add.

The CAARA club held their Tech-in-a-Day last month, so the next will be in the spring. If you don't want to wait that long you can easily do it studying on your own. The Q&A book is great. Plus go to http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ and grind through the practice tests until you are passing them most of the time.

CAARA holds test sessions on the 2nd Sunday of each month. Once you are ready, stop in for a test. I think it's $15 which all goes to the FCC.

I'll second the suggestion for the online practice tests at qrz.com - I used them to pass my technician and general test within the last month. Also check out the 'no nonsense study guides' at kb6nu.com. They don't delve much into theory, but it will help prepare you for the test.

Funny, doing the exact same thing!

Thanks. I also found it under the Settings tab in CHIRP, under 'Basic Settings'. It has pull down menus for both channels, that let you select Channel Name, Channel Number, or Frequency.

I find using CHIRP to be a thousand times easier than navigating the radio menu. Plus, it is really easy to clone both of my radios every time I find a new freqency I want to add.

I just discovered CHIRP. I used it to clone my UV5R from my Wouxun. I thought I was going to have to program all the channels in manually.

This video was helpful in showing how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
aeromarine hit it right on the head. That's what I needed. The radio is now displaying station names and not just frequencies.

Way to go, aeromarine. Reps inbound! :)

Back
Top Bottom