• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UV-5R

Wait, now there are three to choose from?

UV-5R
UV-B5
UV-B6?

Four. I had ordered the UV-5R from Amazon and they shipped the UV-5RA.

I finally got CHIRP up and running, imported repeaters for Cheshire county, then tried to add repeaters for Hillsborough county but they won't load into the radio, they also seem to be missing more than a few repeaters in both areas.

Loolk like I'll be spending today going through a couple of Ham forums and YouTube video's to get this up and running

Four. I had ordered the UV-5R from Amazon and they shipped the UV-5RA.

I finally got CHIRP up and running, imported repeaters for Cheshire county, then tried to add repeaters for Hillsborough county but they won't load into the radio, they also seem to be missing more than a few repeaters in both areas.

Loolk like I'll be spending today going through a couple of Ham forums and YouTube video's to get this up and running

Check out nerepeaters.com

I'm told it is pretty definitive for amateur. Site owner is a drew coordinator.

I don't believe it can auto load with chirp, though.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

The Baofeng can talk FRS and GMRS frequencies, which you don't need a license to use (if that is a worry for you)

Chirp can import them.

That's what I'll be doing to start. I think I need to set the radios to low power to be compliant though.

That's what I'll be doing to start. I think I need to set the radios to low power to be compliant though.

*technically*, as dwarven1 pointed out, the UV-5R is NOT type-classified for FRS or GMRS use.

That being said, the FCC likely has better things to do than investigate and prosecute cases of 1w transmissions on FRS/GMRS through non-type-classified radios.

It looks like the removable antenna and over 500mW transmit power keeps it from being FRS/GMRS compliant. I just got the radios and have already set up channels for listening to local repeaters, local Fire, Police, Ems, NOAA and FRS for family communications. Tech license is next on the list. These radios are pretty cool for $35 each.

I have inside info that I'm getting two of these for Father's Day.

Now....just one tiny issue to take care of before hitting the transmit key.

Hi,

Been thinking of buying one of these UV-5 radios. I have a couple of old dual band walkies but have dead batteries and the rigs are quite large. It is cheaper to upgrade to a UV-5 than to buy batteries, but I am concerned about programming the new radio.

I am not familiar with CHIRP. I just Googled it and see that it is a download available so that one can program the UV-5.

Question: Is this a very technical issue? Lots of other HAMs using this CHIRP stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Hi,

Been thinking of buying one of these UV-5 radios. I have a couple of old dual band walkies but have dead batteries and the rigs are quite large. It is cheaper to upgrade to a UV-5 than to buy batteries, but I am concerned about programming the new radio.

I am not familiar with CHIRP. I just Googled it and see that it is a download available so that one can program the UV-5.

Question: Is this a very technical issue? Lots of other HAMs using this CHIRP stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

A buddy that is "into" HT type radios is moderately impressed with mine.

At ~ $40 the quirky programming is something I'm fine with. Actually, add the cable, a better antenna and a spare battery and you'll be closer to $80, but still a great deal.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Don't sweat CHIRP. It has a learning curve, but you'll either use it so much it won't be a problem, or you'll only program your radio once or twice. Either way, no huge problem.

The 5R and 5RA are down to $32 to $34 on amazon.com, the price is fluctuating by the hour. Remember to click through comm2a

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

A friend of mine recently got his Technician Class Amateur Radio License and was considering one of these BaoFeng radios. Is there one better than the other? I wonder what accessories he should consider?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

If he's just looking for a cheap handheld they are great. I've had some people complain that my signal is weak coming into the local repeater, but it's common with these radios. I have 2, the UV-5R and the UV-B5; they are both good, and can both be programmed via chirp.

The B5 feels nicer in your hand but only has 100 memory locations. It also has a tuning knob on top so you can change presets without looking at the radio

The 5R has 128 memory locations but is boxy in the hand. The 5R can also do split offset so you can program it to Tx on 70cm & Rx on 2m so you can use it for the FM satellite SO-50. There is another FM bird being launched next fall. It also has a LED flashlight on top instead of a tuning knob, which can also come in handy sometimes. There are also several sub-models of UV-5R; the E, A...according to this they are all the same internally.

With either radio I would recommend picking up a whip antenna ( Amazon.com: ExpertPower® 7.56" Dual Band Two-way Radio Antenna SMA-Female: Electronics) you can get them for short money.

Bottom line if I had to choose between the two I would keep my 5R.

Hey guys. A few tin foilish, paranoid, over-the-shoulder-checking NESers were talking about these the other day over pork chops and beers. So naturally I became obsessed and need to buy one. There seems to be an even newer model, the UV-5R+ Qualette. At first glance it seems like a colored version of the 5R+, but it boasts greater frequency range (400-520 vs 400-480). Reviews are all over the place including ones that say they get it home and it doesn't have the promised range. Anyone know about these?

Regular UV-5R+ for reference: Amazon.com: BaoFeng *UV-5R Plus* UV 5R+ Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version): Car Electronics

UV-5R+ Qualette: Amazon.com: BaoFeng UV-5R Plus Qualette Two way Radio (Royal Blue): Car Electronics

I think I'll need to get another license to stuff in my wallet [smile].

Todd - a hand held unit is going to be fine for "around town". You might get further than that depending on terrain, but you probably won't be reaching more than 10 - 15 miles at the outside. Unless you are on one mountaintop and a buddy is on another one, anyway.

A repeater will buy you some distance. New England Repeater Directory

Do get a whip antenna. There is a cheap 14"(?) whip Amazon carries ~ $15.

Todd - a hand held unit is going to be fine for "around town". You might get further than that depending on terrain, but you probably won't be reaching more than 10 - 15 miles at the outside. Unless you are on one mountaintop and a buddy is on another one, anyway.

A repeater will buy you some distance. New England Repeater Directory

Do get a whip antenna. There is a cheap 14"(?) whip Amazon carries ~ $15.

Thanks. The reviews are pretty unanimous that a new antenna is mandatory. I've got one in my shopping cart already along with an extra battery.

I'm considering it mostly for emergency reasons, but like I am with every other hobby I'm sure I'll get out of hand in a hurry. At least radios don't have to be locked up.

At this price, it might be worth checking into:
BaoFeng UV-5R Ham Two Way Radio - $29.95 shipped

They're about the same price on Amazon, the newer ones run a hair more. I just got mine for ~$44. Make sure you get the new ones with the extended frequency range. I don't know how useful it is, but more must be better. I picked blue because some guy said it didn't look as toyish. I think it looks pretty toyish. Now I just need to get my license :D.

What's funny is Amazon says the range on the 70cm band is 400-520 MHz, the box says 400-440 MHz, the manual says 400-480 MHz and the actual range: 400-520 MHz.

The manual is rubbish. From what I hear, this is the place to go.

ETA: The manuals say it comes with a dead battery and to fully charge it before using. The battery meter on mine says it's fully charged and when I put it on the charger it also says it's fully charged. Same for the spare battery I bought.

Last edited:
You should get these before the .gov figures out that it'll TX on any frequency. These could be pre-ban receivers.

See what I did there?!??

What is the difference between the UV-5R and the UV-5R Plus? Is the "Plus" worth the extra $10?

Are there others to consider instead? I'm also seeing a UV-B5 and a UV-B6 here: Amazon.com: baofeng: Electronics

Thanks.

Internally they are all the same...
attachment.php

Man I have never scrolled down and seen there was a Ham radio section here........ This is what I posted in Off Topic

Hello all, I picked up a Baofeng UV-5R the other day. For $30 I did not really care if it was a piece of crap or not. It came in the mail today and I am impressed. It is built well, has tons of features and should work great for listen to emergency freq's and for the freq's we have at work. I was even able to tweak it to pick up the VHF freq's we use at the airport for aircraft communication (even though I do not have a ham radio licence my A&P authorizes me to use these frequencies for work). I am using the CHIRP software and the frequencies from here and here. I can pick up the weather broadcast no problem but I am having problems picking up other broadcasts.

What I am looking for is someone to give me a hand figuring out the nuances of this radio. It has some huge capabilities I just do not know how to access them. I am studying now for my ham radio license and will be picking up my FCC licence through work soon but I would like to have this thing set up. I am willing to trade beer, work on yoursnow blower or lawnmower, fix your computer or even a box or 2 of .22LR for your time.

Maybe some one can share a .csv file with me that is set up?

Back
Top Bottom