• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UZI SBR with collapsed stock?

I would like to build an UZI SBR with a 10.5" barrel. I would like it more compact than the traditional wooden stock or welded extended metal stock.

Can I register it as a rifle with a collapsed stock? Since I will be building this on a new receiver that is post-ban would I have to weld the stock in the collapsed position? I am trying to figure out how to be compliant with both MA and NFA laws. If I decided to swap a wooden stock on the UZI, would have have to register it again with the ATF?

Any other thoughts? I am trying to match a preban UZI that I already have.

Chris

Most think if it's nfa sbr you don't have to worry about the mass awb.

That's basically what your asking you won't get a clear answer. Other then fighting .

The different over all lengths with different stocks and barrels. You shouldn't have to contact the ATF to change the info as long as you can convert it back to the specs. I know the barrels are quick change I don't know if the stocks are. But guys with sbr ar's get one stamp for the lower and use different uppers. Same idea .

Most think if it's nfa sbr you don't have to worry about the mass awb.

That's basically what your asking you won't get a clear answer. Other then fighting .

The different over all lengths with different stocks and barrels. You shouldn't have to contact the ATF to change the info as long as you can convert it back to the specs. I know the barrels are quick change I don't know if the stocks are. But guys with sbr ar's get one stamp for the lower and use different uppers. Same idea .

Ok, makes sense, so if I measure the stock closed and submit that to the ATF I should be clear with respect to the ATF?

Swapping stocks is very easy, I just didn't know if the length had to measure exactly what the paperwork stated if ever questioned. The plan is build it as small as possible and swap in a longer fixed stock of necessary.

Chris

Normally the stock is measured in the unfolded position.
For a non sbr rifle at least . Since a rifle needs to be 16" barrel and 26" over all many folding stock guns you wouldn't hit the 26" over all length when it's folded .

Normally the stock is measured in the unfolded position.
For a non sbr rifle at least . Since a rifle needs to be 16" barrel and 26" over all many folding stock guns you wouldn't hit the 26" over all length when it's folded .

See this is where my thinking crosses over to the MA AWB. Let's assume the AWB is enforced on NFA firearms. Can I weld the stock in the closed position which would satisfy the AWB and then register it with the ATF in this configuration with the 10.5" barrel?

Is there another part of the MA AWB that I am not considering?

Chris

Yeah if you want to weld it that be it fixed over all length length then.

But like I said most cant figure out if a sbr needs to pass the awb or not since the wording is a rifle with. Barrel longer then 16" .

The only other awb you need to care about is if it has a bayonet lug. Or you wanted it to be a pistol .

I have a sbr'd model b uzi that I got approved back in 2006. Pm me if you want to know the overall length I used to get it approved.

- - - Updated - - -

Easiest thing to do with the OAL is guess and then just send an email with the actual when it's built.

Re/ SBR's & the MA AWB: This is a grey area bc by definition SBR's are not rifles. You will get people who think they should conform but the truth is that this is an undefined area, much like using an FA10 with a trust. The answer lies in your risk tolerance.

The recent case in MA where the kid had an unregistered SBR? The cops specifically said it wasn't a rifle by definition. Ask EOPS how you should register it and they will say handgun bc there is no other option.

Last edited:
The recent case in MA where the kid had an unregistered SBR? The cops specifically said it wasn't a rifle by definition. Ask EOPS how you should register it and they will say handgun bc there is no other option.
I built a 9mm sbr and I called the FRB and spoke with 3 different individuals, they all told me to register it as a handgun because it doesn't meet the requirements to be a rifle. It has a 5" barrel on it.

I built a 9mm sbr and I called the FRB and spoke with 3 different individuals, they all told me to register it as a handgun because it doesn't meet the requirements to be a rifle. It has a 5" barrel on it.

I had the same experience but alas it isn't a handgun either: They simply do not have a category for it and by MA law it isn't a rifle so ipso facto it has to be a handgun.

Back
Top Bottom