• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VA Healthcare and Medicare Part B

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
So , I get all my healthcare and prescriptions from the VA now, and I think I can cancel my Medicare Part B and not have to pay $148 to Social Security every month. Anybody have any info on whether or not I can do this?
Does the VA charge Medicare for my doctor visits and tests?
I can’t seem to find out on the VA website so far.

Thanks, I thought so because I have been under VA care for almost two years and have never any info from Medicare about any charges from the VA.
More beer money for me!

Kim,
I believe (not 100%) if you get a Social Security check, you have to part B as well. Best to call
You are automatically enrolled in part A. You may opt out of part B. The VA and SSA will do all in their power to persuade the individual to keep part B. They really want that monthly premium. As it is approximately 90 days before your 65th birthday you will receive a packet in the mail with your Medicare Part A and B ID card. If you want part B you do nothing. If you opt out you sign the form the card is attached to. A witness then signs and provides his/her address. The firm is then mailed back with the enclosed postage paid envelope. At a later date you will receive a Medicare Part A ID card. If you already have part B you must notify SSA that you wish to cancel. If for some reason a individual wishes to opt out of part A he/she will lose ALL SS benefits. I just sent in my opt out form last week. It’s a bit odd that VA will promote the high level of care the veteran will be provided ( in my case true ) but as pertaining to Medicare Part B they would have you believe that you take your life in your hands by relying on CA.

Just to update……..i cancelled my part B, and now get an extra $151 on my SS every month!
If you are covered with the VA also paying SS for part B, cancel that crap!

Back
Top Bottom