• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vacation Gun Finds

Mark from MA

NES Member
Everytime I go on vacation or travel in general, like many people here ( I assume) I like to find a local shop and browse and look for those hard to find guns in good condition that may are sitting or undervalued. The majority of time i see a rare or old gun, its generally overpriced and the reason why it sits unsold. But always on the lookout in some garage gun shop, or corner there is hope, that there is a deal somewhere.

My soft spot is working mans guns from 50's,60's etc that are generally in nice condition. (think Savage 99's, Old Winchesters, Ithaca's, and Remingtons) They are not that hard to find, but are getting harder to find, and carry US made quality and fit and finish not seen in most of today's production. If its even made anymore.

The problem here is these are working mans guns, usually beat up, altered, drilled, tapped, messed with somehow in ways you just wonder WTF was this guy thinking. My goal is always to find one that looks like it was well cared for, and maybe used, but unmolested and not used for a hammer. That's where the rare part comes in with these type guns, as they were intended as tools and not to be showpieces. Bring home meat, paddle the canoe when hunting ducks, tie the rope to when hauling deer out. I get it. Most of them came off the rack for 50 dollars or less at some hardware store in the 50's or 60's.

Unfortunately after striking out in those mid hole in the wall Maine gun shops, I found this years vacation gun at Cabelas on the way home. A 1959 Ithaca 37 Deerslayer in 16 gauge, original and unmolested, looking like it may have been hunted with once or twice and shelved, or safe queened. Its in 99% wood and bluing easily.

Its a bit of a grail gun for me....as I always wanted a Deerslayer and would have been very happy with a nice 12 gauge Deerslayer which is much more common, yet still has been very hard to find in good condition for me in the vintage I prefer. Or I would have been happy with a nice 16 gauge 50's-70's featherlight regular shotgun........ Finding a 16 gauge in Deerslayer in a 1950's vintage gun in great condition is definately something special for me. I have a couple vintage Browning Sweet Sixteens with deer barrels and this will go well with them. And I got it at a good price as well, which makes it all the more sweet.

I'm sure there are some people that have some vacation or travel grail guns out there that HAD to come home with you. Love to hear the stories....as it is vacation time.

Last edited:
No vacation stories. but how about this one. When my father and mother were first dating he told her that once he had $500 saved they would get married. He got the money together and went out and bought a Springfield .22LR semi auto and an Ithaca model 37 in 16GA, you brought back a good memory. he bought it when he was 21, after he came back from WWII. He gave it to me when I was 16, I passed it on to my Nephew in Vermont about 10 years ago, still use it now and then when I visit.

Saw a pristine Browning a5 a few years back on a trip back from Maine at ktp. 1969 deluxe vent rib full choke and I mean pristine. Was ogling it for like 15 minutes. Left it there.

3 weeks later my wife had a day off.....I came home from work and it was in her hands and she gave it to me. She took the drive up there to surprise me with it. True workhorse of a hunting gun....yup. having one in perfect shape is amazing. Over the last two years I've acquired a ic barrel and iron sights slug barrel for it as a set. Hunted successfully and often with all 3 barrels. My son will inherit a nice set of hunting irons.

Saw a pristine Browning a5 a few years back on a trip back from Maine at ktp. 1969 deluxe vent rib full choke and I mean pristine. Was ogling it for like 15 minutes. Left it there.

3 weeks later my wife had a day off.....I came home from work and it was in her hands and she gave it to me. She took the drive up there to surprise me with it. True workhorse of a hunting gun....yup. having one in perfect shape is amazing. Over the last two years I've acquired a ic barrel and iron sights slug barrel for it as a set. Hunted successfully and often with all 3 barrels. My son will inherit a nice set of hunting irons.
You sir have an amazing wife. You are a lucky man!

I have a beat up, 3 digit serial 1895 in 30US (Krag). Beat to hell. Former owner decided to put a peep sight on it and the drill job was a disaster. Then in his dementia decided to go at the receiver with a belt sander.

One of these days, I’m sending it to Turnbull for full restoration. I’ll likely never shoot it in either condition, but it’s an early one. 124yo gun. It deserves saving.

I do this too and it’s interesting to me that what sells like hot cakes in one state just sits on the shelves gathering dust in another.

My wife was sitting in the parking lot, and we were going to go to Famous Daves Barbeque after I got out of Cabelas.

I called her and she said if important enough for you to be calling instead of texting.....its gotta be a good one. Don't start second guessing it, because you'll regret it later, and I'll hear about it. Just buy it an hurry up...I'm hungry.

I saw a nice custom Mauser 98 at Crossroads of the West gun show (Vegas) a couple of years ago. Varmint rifle with 4x-12x Leupold. Price was right. When I saw the caliber marking on the pristine Krieger barrel (.219 Donaldson Wasp), I walked away. I don't have the time, patience or $$$ to feed a wildcat.

Hand picked myself a Win13 Garand at the CMP South Store a few years back. I remember telling my girlfriend at the time how much it was going to be worth once I restored it :/

2 years and probably $2500 later and i’m still not done buying parts for it!

At this point, i’m seriously considering abandoning ship and have a local armorer thread a match barrel on it for me...sell my acquired parts on eBay or CMP forums and cut my losses in shipping/maybe make my money back and then some depending on the market.

I’m the only guy I know that would buy a perfectly good rifle and replace every part on it. Stupid is as stupid does.

To be correct with the group of TWITS I traveled with, I'd say I was going to look at shoes. Saw a nice SW41 drilled and tapped straight through to the bore. A lot of stores across the country are gun and pawn shops with overpriced junk.

Back
Top Bottom