Value "Precision" rifle, which one?

It's been a while, and I've decided I want to jump into the precision rifle game. Given this is my first real attempt at this, I want to stay out of custom rifles. I guess I would classify as a value setup.

It seems like there are more and more options out there, but here's a few that are out there that fit somewhat of what I think I'm looking for.

Ruger Precision Rifle
Savage Stealth
Tikka t3x tac a1
Tikka t3x ctr
Bergara b 14 BMP
Bergara B 14 HMR
Bergara Premier HMR pro

As you can see from the list above the focus is on sub $2k rifles, particularly more in the $1k - $1500 range. The Ruger and the Savage I'm the least interested in, but I will continue to research. I'm not really loving the idea of a full chassis rifle as I do shoot in the cold and all that aluminum doesn't seem like it would be fun. The Tikka T3x CTR stock is awful, so I feel like i need to add $500 to the price of that rifle to add an upgraded stock put of the box.

The most intriguing is the new Bergara Premier HMR Pro, but it was also just announced a few days ago

Caliber will be either 6.5 creedmoor or .308, with a preference towards 6.5 (i will reload)

Total budget for this value setup is between $2000-$3000 with optic and bipod.

Is there rifles I'm missing? Thoughts or personal experience?

I've owned all four brands you list above. the only one i've kept is my Bergara LRP in 308. I stupidly sold my savage 10-FCP in 308. if you're looking for phenomenal accuracy at great price then just go with a savage. the 10-FCP is a cool rifle. one overlooked issue is magazine availability and prices. if you are into changing mags then you will want to purchase extras. for some Tikka models this is a big issue since they are required to import their mags and some arent available.

i haven't fired the savage "stealth" but i would probably go that route just checkout the mag situation. if the rifle can take AICS mags that's fantastic. even a plain jane Savage 10-FCP will serve you very well. i wish i hadn't sold mine. the ruger precision is a cool rifle but i'm not sold on it. i think savage's barrel is better. the savage system is also very easy to headspace and change barrels.

--
how far are you shooting? if inside 500 yards i would stick with .308. yes 6.5 is all the rage right now but the ballistics don't offer much until you stretch past ~800 yards at which point it absolutely smokes the 308. cost of 308 is substantially lower and it's still a fantastic round. i would stick with .308 unless you are really going long range. the recoil on 6.5 is nice but a decent muzzle brake will make any 308 feel nice too.

--
as mentioned below the choice of optic is critical. there are many excellent (and crappy) options out there. i would not go budget on your glass. the only "budget" glass i've found that runs well on a 308 is the SWFA super sniper 10x. while variable mag is popular, fixed magnification offers several advantages such as simplicity, durability and your'e going to be shooting on max magnificaiton anyway. i'm sort of a Leupold fan especially as the Vortex prices seem to be going up I'm not convinced that Vortex offers the same amazing value they did a few years back. the leupold Mark 4 series is great, just pay attention to the reticle since some of the Leupold scope offer weird ass hunting reticles that are suboptimal for precision shooting.

Last edited:
Do you want it to be precise or accurate? What is your max range? With your budget, almost 75% will be allocated towards quality optics as they will come in at the tune of $1,500. Unless of course you just want to punch 1/4" groups in paper at 100 yards, then even a bargain $150 Barska Scope will work.

Do you want it to be precise or accurate? What is your max range? With your budget, almost 75% will be allocated towards quality optics as they will come in at the tune of $1,500. Unless of course you just want to punch 1/4" groups in paper at 100 yards, then even a bargain $150 Barska Scope will work.

Optics will likely be entry level Steiner, Nightforce. Perhaps Burris or Vortex. Max budget of approx $1500 for optics

As I have heard Jon Green say, "the Europeans will buy a $500 rifle and put a $2000 scope on it. Americans buy a $2000 rifle and put a $500 (or less) optic on it."

I tend to think that they got it right.

Of your list, I have only personally shot the Ruger and I was very impressed by it. I have heard great things about the Savage rifles from several people.

Good luck.

what do you plan on doing? bench, prone, F class any actual competing?
I only ask as i have been trying as many bolt guns over the past year and so far depending on what you want to do I really liked the savage 12 bench rest i tried over the summer. liked it alot topped of with a weaver T36
I also got some time behind the "tactical" rifles and the Tikka TX stock hardware just felt much better thand ruger or savage stealth.

if you dont need all that tactical plastic the heavy barrel varmint options can save you a little money as the stocks are not as tricked out.
also dont discount used, my friends kid picked up a nice savage model 10 with a very nice scope at a local shop.
as for optics i took a long time bothering anyone who would let me behind their glass for a few rounds.
Really need to know what you want from the optics and what you expect to do for accuracy. I got behind many scopes and there was so much crap in the way (reticle style) on some of them. Fine for some but way to much for my likes. I went with a sightron SEIII 8x36x56 side AO with a 2 moa reticle with a .25 moa dot in the middle. I dont like my targets covered by the reticle. . i also like basic 30/30 cros hairs if they are thin and i have a few leupould VXIIIs that i like , simple and robust...precision maybe not

As I have heard Jon Green say, "the Europeans will buy a $500 rifle and put a $2000 scope on it. Americans buy a $2000 rifle and put a $500 (or less) optic on it."

I tend to think that they got it right.

Of your list, I have only personally shot the Ruger and I was very impressed by it. I have heard great things about the Savage rifles from several people.

Good luck.

This is pretty much what I did. I did not want to pay extra for tacticool. I wanted a 6.5mm Creedmoor with the intent of joining Granby for the 1000yd range. I bought a Savage Model 10T-SR at Cabelas. With a sale and coupons, it was under $500. I added a Sightron SIII 10-50x60 illuminated scope. It was just over $1200 with my C&R discount and a coupon. I mounted the scope a few weeks ago and took it to the range to zero. I used Hornady off the shelf ammo in 14' weather. (Nice having the range to yourself on a cold Sunday morning!) Here are my final 3 (I think) shots at 100m. I am going to have fun with this setup.

target.JPG

You are on the right path. All rifles you mentioned are perfectly capable fine accuracy. Bergara is getting lots of love at Snipershide. Tikka is a known quantity. Ruger RPR is easy to rebarrel.

Problem here is that once you commit to accuracy, what’s the endgame? You WILL end up spending more than you anticipate.

I prefer .308 myself as I don’t shoot super long distance and match ammo is now available from CT. ; )

Last edited:
Bergara all say long and twice on Sunday. If I were doing this, and I have thought about it, 6.5 Creedmoor out of a Bergara, if you reload even better.

I think any of the rifles you listed would suffice. All will shoot sub-MOA. I'd be looking at which rifles are the easiest to rebarrel. If you start competing, you'll go through barrels at least every other year, maybe annually. Savages' are easy to rebarrel. The Rugers are always in high demand and seem to sell "used" for as much as they do "new".
Caliber selection depends solely on the BIG question: do you handload? No? Get the 6.5 Creedmoor. Lots more accurate factory loads available. I don't see any reason to get a .308 nowadays unless you are interested in Palma or FTR.

Glass? Yes, it's important, but you don't have to spend $1500 to get there. Nightforce gets a lot of attention (and they are very, very good), but I hate to see someone drop $2K on a scope for something they "want to jump into" with a "value set-up". The Weaver T-series is something you want to look into.

So, I guess a few things. I don't "need" this, it's a toy. I would love to say I have plans to compete on some level but I've done everything from High power to USPSA and my schedule just doesn't allow me to attend or practice with regularity.

This rifle WILL be shot from 300-600. I have always wanted to build a skill set and equipment to would allow me to do 1000, but frankly I'm not traveling 8 or 12 hours to make that happen on a consistent basis.

I do already stock .308, but not match grade stuff for my M1A Scout Squad. I would prefer to him into 6.5 Creedmoor because 1. My fascination of 6.5 in general 2. I do reload 3. The limitless possibilities if I do decide I can and want to do more with this setup

Yes, I want "tacticool" (lol) Not tacticool for no reason, not made in China lights and lasers stacked on top of one another... But yes, the rifles I have listed and others like it are listed for a reason :) I have decent gear already, setup with decent optics and lights... BCM, CZ, Benelli,Springfield, Steiner, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Surefire... im not looking for $300 optic to shoot Wal-Mart ammo out of a $2k gun

Accuracy, I really enjoyed my White Oak AR I had when shooting high power. When I missed, I new damn well I missed because I sucked and didn't do my part. I've had other "accurate builds" with a Rem 700 and a DMR type AR build but never felt the same connection in terms of what i could consistently to with the rifle. Perhaps that's me, but I don't think so.

So, I guess a few things. I don't "need" this, it's a toy. I would love to say I have plans to compete on some level but I've done everything from High power to USPSA and my schedule just doesn't allow me to attend or practice with regularity.

This rifle WILL be shot from 300-600. I have always wanted to build a skill set and equipment to would allow me to do 1000, but frankly I'm not traveling 8 or 12 hours to make that happen on a consistent basis.

I do already stock .308, but not match grade stuff for my M1A Scout Squad. I would prefer to him into 6.5 Creedmoor because 1. My fascination of 6.5 in general 2. I do reload 3. The limitless possibilities if I do decide I can and want to do more with this setup

Yes, I want "tacticool" (lol) Not tacticool for no reason, not made in China lights and lasers stacked on top of one another... But yes, the rifles I have listed and others like it are listed for a reason :) I have decent gear already, setup with decent optics and lights... BCM, CZ, Benelli,Springfield, Steiner, Aimpoint, Trijicon, Surefire... im not looking for $300 optic to shoot Wal-Mart ammo out of a $2k gun

Accuracy, I really enjoyed my White Oak AR I had when shooting high power. When I missed, I new damn well I missed because I sucked and didn't do my part. I've had other "accurate builds" with a Rem 700 and a DMR type AR build but never felt the same connection in terms of what i could consistently to with the rifle. Perhaps that's me, but I don't think so.
sounds like you have a good what you want , now just need to get behind a few options and im sure you will get the " I like this" moment

sounds like you have a good what you want , now just need to get behind a few options and im sure you will get the " I like this" moment

I guess that's why I'm asking. I don't have any access to any of these personally at the range and would love to hear thoughts on any of them specifically. I've never even seen a HMR in person as then seem to be long since out of stock

I've been behind a Sako Trg 22 and M10 at the range and a Accuracy International... but, no, a $6k+ setup is not in my future

There's also the fun part of the research that leads to a purchase like this. I don't throw down $3k without obsessing over it to make sure I'm going to be happy with the outcome. Many times NES has brought ideas I just wouldn't have thought of.

Is there even PRS matches around new england?

There were PRS matches at Granby. Those are on hold while the club works through some zoning shenanigans stirred up by a very small number of malcontent neighbors. They are going to do 22LR PRS matches to 300 yards, but the big boy course is on hold for now.

Is there even PRS matches around new england?

There is one (of a series) today in NH. There were openings as of yesterday. 10 stage 100+ rounds. I was looking at course of fire last night.

I also believe there will be some at a commercial range in Catskills mountains come spring. Just a few exits below where Mass Pike hits NYState thruway. That range closes for winter.

I also expect a series of matches in VT.

There is one (of a series) today in NH. There were openings as of yesterday. 10 stage 100+ rounds. I was looking at course of fire last night.

I also believe there will be some at a commercial range in Catskills mountains come spring. Just a few exits below where Mass Pike hits NYState thruway. That range closes for winter.

I also expect a series of matches in VT.

Out of curiosity, is there info somewhere?

Rugers are stupid.

For budget friendly awesomeness it's Savage all the way.

FTR...I know a guy that posted a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50mm MRAD with Talley Crossbones rings in the classifieds for $850 cash or trade. I hear he is very handsome and a super swell guy, too. He just wants to go with a fixed power 10x because he likes to be like the military (kind of a poser if you ask me).

Out of curiosity, is there info somewhere?
TheNH one today was at Pemigawasset Valley Fish and Game. Registration was on Practiscore.

VT ones will be under Vt State Rifle and Pistol Association. To be held at camp Ethan Allen which is state Nat Guard training range. Info not on VTRPA website yet.

Catskills at Sheepdog Warrior range which won’t reopen till spring. Website says March 31.

I don’t know of central source for info

There were PRS matches at Granby. Those are on hold while the club works through some zoning shenanigans stirred up by a very small number of malcontent neighbors. They are going to do 22LR PRS matches to 300 yards, but the big boy course is on hold for now.
My hold off on a bolt gun has been a few things
1. Many unfinished projects , almost done though
2. My conclusion that I'm just not going to get out past 200 yards that often. SO I'm thinking higher end 22lr and just hunker down and pay for the better ammo OR just stick with 223. Figure even if I get out to Reading for 600 yards with some 80 grain pills they will be no more or less accurate at my skill level and equipment vs 308,6.5 ect

My hold off on a bolt gun has been a few things
1. Many unfinished projects , almost done though
2. My conclusion that I'm just not going to get out past 200 yards that often. SO I'm thinking higher end 22lr and just hunker down and pay for the better ammo OR just stick with 223. Figure even if I get out to Reading for 600 yards with some 80 grain pills they will be no more or less accurate at my skill level and equipment vs 308,6.5 ect

Even 300 yards is a total no-brainer for the type of rifle the OP is looking for unless one is attempting benchrest-like accuracy. Even the Bula M14 with irons hit the 377 plate with almost boring consistency. 22LR at 200 gets interesting.

Agreed regarding the 80 grain at 600 vs. the 308. I do see a difference with the 6.5 CM and you are a much better shooter so I'll bet that you would see a difference even when comparing semi to semi, let alone a bolt gun.

Last edited:
Even 300 yards is a total no-brainer for the type of rifle the OP is looking for unless one is attempting benchrest-like accuracy. Even the Bula M14 with irons hit the 377 plate with almost boring consistency. 22LR at 200 gets interesting.

Agreed regarding the 80 grain at 600 vs. the 308. I do see a difference with the 6.5 CM and you are a much better shooter so I'll bet that you would see a difference even when comparing semi to semi, let alone a bolt gun.
If sako had a finnfire range left handed I might have my 22lr long range shooter already....almost done with the rascal tactical F class rifle

I’m very new to presision rifles. Recently got qualified at Harvard’s 200/300 ranges. Like you I hit the forums and asked the guys at the range for help in choosing. I ended up with a Savage 10 BA in .308. It was used, but looked new and very well cared for. Came with a Vortex 24x50, bipod and Pelican (wheely) case. All for $1200. After I did the math in the store and emailed a few shooting friends everything said buy it. After a few range trips I swapped out the butt stock for an XLR Tatical buttstock. The original was ok, but rattled and moved a lot. Always felt like I was not properly behind the gun.

I’m not looking for 1/2” groups at 500 yards, I want and can easily achieve head shots at 200. When I feel more confident I’ll move over to 300 and hopefully get the same results. All in all Im very happy with the Savage. Good luck in your quest.

Back
Top Bottom