• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VE Card

Just got my VE certificate in the mail. I was sent a laminated card along with the cert, but not the red plastic one with the call sign. Anyone know if arrl changed to a newer type of card.

This is the one I have, received about 4 years ago I think:

1604538582536.png

Didn't know they had new ones.

Ok, thanks. That’s what I got. The people who ran the exam session had red plastic name cards with their call sign on it. Must be something they purchased for Club use.

The people who ran the exam session had red plastic name cards with their call sign on it. Must be something they purchased for Club use.
I was afraid that's what you saw.

You can get one for about $18 from The Sign Man of Baton Rouge,
shipping included.

Volunteer Examiner is tan:
jqvpAevzaJ-TZDjTmBsnThlBWVTHPqak31Sk_H7YqD2hUTBpKV1tafgmgvAMAbwdmeTG6PDFQPPIv6_db6ylz3pYFAoDDDOmC9mYuc7uE_xzahCyuqdOn2O0xab3fD9GnMoIw_AL

If you saw badges that were pure red,
those were some serious League officers/appointees/staff.

Far more commonly seen is orange,
which are various flavors of EmComm appointments.

I took my exams at the ARRL HQ in Connecticut. A few of the examiners were indeed ARRL Staff. Thanks for the link, I will look into it.
Nikos

Ok, thanks. That’s what I got. The people who ran the exam session had red plastic name cards with their call sign on it. Must be something they purchased for Club use.

Congrats on the VE accredidation and thanks for the service to the community.

Did they do away with the testing? I was looking into it tonight and it looks like you read the material, do an open book "review" of the material, send it in, wait for your accreditation.

I'm not a member of a club, so I don't even know if it would be worth getting accredited, but I was just looking at what it takes. I've found clubs generally aren't for me and I always end up annoyed with the personalities, but I might give our local radio club a go.

I have yet to use my VE status. Covid hit right after I got the VE card and in person testing was stopped for a while. Then I moved to a rural area where Clubs are far away. So I suspect ARRL will cancel my status soon.

Five years of no activity will put you on hold. From the manual:

ARRL accreditation renewal is automatic for ARRL VEs who maintain a current address, contact phone number and/or email address on file at the VEC office and have participated at an exam session within the past 5 years. Renewal stickers, extending the ARRL VE’s accreditation expiration date, are issued and should be placed on your credentials. By issuing automatic accreditation renewals, the ARRL/VEC can ensure that the needs of our VEs are met; as well as the amateur radio community. After 5 years of inactivity, your VE accreditation will be placed on hold until you contact the VEC office. Depending on the amount of time that has passed, you may be required to reapply. No one's accreditation will be permanently revoked solely because of his or her inactivity because many factors can contribute to a VE’s activity level.

That sounds good. Not that I'm looking for the easiest way out, but if I had to find a test to get certified to give tests, I wouldn't bother.

Back
Top Bottom