• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Traps/Hides

Any LEOs have any experience or advice for detecting mechanical or electronically operated traps/hides in vehicles. Wasn't sure if there were any techniques or tools used that could help in locating them. I know trapfind.com offers a course in detecting traps in vehicles. If anyone has attended it can you comment as to your experience with it and was it beneficial.

Best option. Dogs nose is a 1000% better chance of finding your dope than a couple cops on the side of the road looking for PC.

Dogs just tell you 'something' is there. Getting into the trap is an artform. I know I've let tons of drugs go because I couldn't find the trap and even with a positive K9 hit, back then there wasn't much I could do. Today, unless I can find it, there still isn't much I can do.

Dogs just tell you 'something' is there. Getting into the trap is an artform. I know I've let tons of drugs go because I couldn't find the trap and even with a positive K9 hit, back then there wasn't much I could do. Today, unless I can find it, there still isn't much I can do.

Use an EDU team to X-ray wherever the dog is hitting.

With the dog, an X-ray and a warrant take some hand tools and rip it open. Don’t need “the code” at that point.

I dont deal with vehicle hides much but I know guys that do.

There are experts around that you can call for assistance, but its not something you can do at the side of the road.
You have to get the car towed to the station and then probably best to get a warrant to search it.

A vehicle hide costs about $10,000 to get installed, so they are sometimes worth more than the car itself.
Some cars are better than others for the purpose, as they have void spaces that are suitable, so the people that build them tend toward certain years makes and models.
Honda's seem to be very popular.

Your best option might be to become an expert yourself.

Last edited:
I dont deal with vehicle hides much but I know guys that do.

There are experts around that you can call for assistance, but its not something you can do at the side of the road.
You have to get the car towed to the station and then probably best to get a warrant to search it.

A vehicle hide costs about $10,000 to get installed, so they are sometimes worth more than the car itself.
Some cars are better than others for the purpose, as they have void spaces that are suitable, so the people that build them tend toward certain years makes and models.
Honda's seem to be very popular.

Your best option might be to become an expert yourself.

I know a thing or two about traps. The original post was asking about training, I suggested a multi-agency training program that pulls knowledge from across the country that puts together a pretty good training program, complete with cars set up with traps, how to locate, and activate them. I know a lot of people who attend it self pay for the program, so I guess it's affordable. I don't know the actual cost, my agency pays for us to go.

P.A.C.E. New England

This is a pretty good class focused on behavioral profiling to identify cars and then locate hides in those vehicles. I took it a few years ago and they bring in 15 or so cars seized throughout the region and show you where the hides are and how to identify and access them. I will say that the class is more geared towards those agencies that work in long wide open spaces/highways as far as the behavioral profiling goes. Most likely better suited to agencies that work that sort of area. The instructors when I took it were a few MSP as well as Ohio Troopers/MD Sheriffs. Some of these hides are really complex. Having the AC on a certain setting, radio on, and hitting a combination of other switches in a certain order.

All in all its a great class, but I have yet to locate an actual hide in the real world.

iu

Pace is a good class. If you’re on Facebook check up trap find, lots of good info/videos.

We hit one last week in an accord. Magnets inside a vehicle are usually a big give away. Being familiar with what’s normal and what not helps too. As stated some vehicles are more common than others.

I was on a grand jury for 3 months. One of the cases involved drugs and we got to watch videos of them finding and opening the trap. Then the guy that did it, who was an expert, came in to testify. I was absolutely amazed at what I learned. It was actually pretty fascinating. If some of these folks put their knowledge and expertise to legitimate purposes, they could seriously be living large. Although, I suppose it's not illegal to make and install the traps and their fee is probably unreported, so they probably ARE living even larger!

Related question: would the electric, password-protected compartment in the dash of aTahoe be considered secure storage?

Back
Top Bottom