Verify that box matches ammo inside

I was at the range last night and the guy next to me was shooting a savage 30-06. I look over and notice him all pissed off yanking on the bolt because of a jammed casing.

Turns out he was shooting .308 out of his 30-06. He got 5 or six rounds off before the casing stuck and I lent him a screwdriver to get it out. The necked down portion of the casing had expanded.

The two boxes of ammo that he purchased from bass pro shop were marked 30-06, but contained .308.

I've seen shops post signs asking that you not open boxes of ammo, but this instance makes you want to check that what's on the box is really inside.

If you've recently bought 30-06 from bass pro, I'd double check it to be sure.

I'm guessing he's new to the caliber to not notice the difference between .308 and 30-06 casing length and profile.

Poor guy then whipped out his .45 to vent his frustration and it wouldn't fire due to some issue. I thought his head would explode right there. I felt so bad for him and truly wish him better luck in the future.

Last edited:
homeboy needs to go back to the store, who was the ammo manufacturer? i don't see how that level of ****-up could have happened both on the store and the shooter's part.

.308 is very different from .30-06. always check your own shit, you are responsible for your own safety.

are the prices between the two significantly different? maybe someone swapped them trying to get a "deal" on the ammo they wanted, and he picked up the other box of the swap?

If you're shooting 30-06 and picking up .308 and not capable of realizing the difference, I think you need to spend a lot more time familiarizing yourself with your gun.

I was at the range last night and the guy next to me was shooting a savage 30-06. I look over and notice him all pissed off yanking on the bolt because of a jammed casing.

Turns out he was shooting .308 out of his 30-06. ...

The two boxes of ammo that he purchased from bass pro shop were marked 30-06, but contained .308.

I've seen shops post signs asking that you not open boxes of ammo, but this instance makes you want to check that what's on the box is really inside. ...

Start by double-checking the outside of all the boxes. (At the store, for starters).

The "Sporting Goods Department" staff at the Hudson, NH Walmart are experts at reciting a mantra (in a monotone) about how all ammo sales are final, and there are no refunds or exchanges...

And they don't let customers anywhere near the ammo cabinet while they have it unlocked, and insist on carrying the boxes to the cash register themselves and directly bagging them.

But more than once I've pointed out that a box or two is in the wrong stack, and all I get is a blank look. Don't lift a cuticle to move the box even if I say it 2-3 times. And I'm not talking about a JHP box lined up by a FMJ barcode. I mean totally wrong caliber, and not an adjacent one either. It's not like they whirl around and fix it as soon as the sale is done, either.

You would not believe the dead-behind-the-eyes stare (and no action) I got from one when I said "that box of TulAmmo is .40 caliber, and belongs in that pile [two yards to the left], not in the middle of the .45s". I've seen more comprehension from the Pretty Cows™ competing at the Cobleskill Fair.

sf006_tx728_fsharpen.jpg

Last edited:
If you saw my ammo set up your head would explode, I have 30-06 cases that are 22-06AI, 6-06AI, 25-06AI, 6.5-06AI, 270AI, 280AI, and 30-06AI and 12 different versions of 300 RUMs. Not to mention 6 different 308 and 6 300WSMs and then some. Man I tell you when I pass it will all have to be disposed of cause no one will be able to figure them out.

Dean

Nice milling job who ever did the work on that cutaway barrel.

Dean

PS: With more powder the bullet would have made though the barrel.LOL

Nice milling job who ever did the work on that cutaway barrel.

Dean

PS: With more powder the bullet would have made though the barrel.LOL

That's why I never puff load [laugh]

But yeah that's a nice mill job. My guess is EDM or ground. If you tried end milling that the bullet jacket wouldn't look that nice.

I don't care what a store's policy is, I always check the ammo before leaving the store. If it's in a box that's glued I'll pay for it first and then immediately open it to make sure it's right. Never had a clerk or owner take issue with that.

homeboy needs to go back to the store, who was the ammo manufacturer? i don't see how that level of ****-up could have happened both on the store and the shooter's part.

.308 is very different from .30-06. always check your own shit, you are responsible for your own safety.

The store will not do shit. You will have to deal with the manufacture. I had 22shorts in a 500 round brick of 22lr. I shoot shorts so it was not a huge issue.

Back
Top Bottom