Vermont magazine ban

I’m a NH resident that travels to VT and I go shooting with a family member, I know I can’t bring my 30 round magazines up they’re anymore, he bought some 30 rounders for my specific guns before the ban so when I visit and we go shooting I will have magazines to use.

We shoot at a local state forest where your allowed to target practice, sometimes a game warden will show up because of a neighbor complaining, my question is could i get in trouble if a warden showed up, and was using his 30 round glock magazine in my AR-9? Also he doesn’t own a gun that uses glock magazines.

First, there's no way to prove where a magazine came from.

Second it will be dependent on the cop. Cops and actual laws have little to nothing to do with a personal interaction with law enforcement. If you get a pro 2a guy, he doesn't even bother you. You get the Bernie Sanders fan and he'll arrest you even if you're not breaking the law because guns er bad.

There is no real answer to your question. If it went to court they'd probably drop the charges. But you'll always still have to say yes to be arrested in the past forever

If you read the laws it says "loose quote --- you can have it if you owned it before a certain date" I think that means you need proof of when you bought it. Too bad if
you didn't keep the receipt. :(

If you read the laws it says "loose quote --- you can have it if you owned it before a certain date" I think that means you need proof of when you bought it. Too bad if
you didn't keep the receipt. :(
Fortunately the law does not work that way. You never have to prove you are innocent, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty. The burden is totally on them.

I really can't picture in mind a government that spends a million dollars trying to determine when a magazine was manufactured, when it was sold and who owns it. What's easier, sitting on the side of the road and ticketing speeders or investigating gun magazines which in the end will turn out to be a fruitless effort?

A google search found this:

In 2018, Vermont enacted legislation to generally restrict the sale, purchase, possession, manufacture, and importation of large capacity ammunition “feeding devices.”1 However, this law created an exception for the possession of large capacity magazines that were lawfully possessed on or before the date the law was enacted (April 11, 2018).2
These restrictions apply to a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept:......

I think the one case in question where someone actually got rapped for this they somehow were able to prove where the guy bought the magazine from and that it was
new, either from running his mouth or because he had a receipt laying around from an NH gun shop or something.

Otherwise if someone is not retarded, this law is basically unenforceable outside of VT gun shops possibly not being able to have those new magazines on pegs in their
stores.

The only arrest I’m aware of for this law, the guy’s girlfriend/wife told her therapist that he was a white supremacist and had a stockpile of weapons. The therapist immediately called the police. The girlfriend told police she drove the guy to a store in New Hampshire to buy magazines and then drove him back to Vermont. The store happily provided police with receipts/video footage. The magazines were still in the house where she dropped him off. That’s a lot of evidence.

Fortunately the law does not work that way. You never have to prove you are innocent, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you are guilty. The burden is totally on them.
Not necessarily true. Look up the difference between "burden of persuasion" and "burden of going forward."

Back
Top Bottom