Veteran on my license

Since I needed a new license I went with the real ID. Since I had to bring paperwork to the registry I figured I might as well bring my DD214 and put veteran on my license. Maybe it will get me out of a ticket some day.

Anyone else do this?

Just applied for my renewal (NH). Did not need DD214 because I gave it to them when I got my Vet plates in 2008. Wanting for my license in mail....

Some of you may not be aware, but if you were awarded the Purple Heart, or the equivalent of a Silver Star or higher, there are no plate or renewal fees in Mass. if you have multiple awards (not OLC's) e.g. PH, SS you can put them on your other vehicles...including motorcycle's

A simple Veteran's plate however is considered a vanity plate and will cost $100 semi-annually

I have it on mine, but I think Lowes now wants "to put you in their system" by having you go online and fill out a few forms.
Not really worth the hassle, or the extra junk mail.

About 5 minutes extra and no junk mail. I had to buy a washer, dryer and fridge. The $500 savings was worth it. They will combine discounts and also take 10% off sale items.

It’s your money

I renovated my entire house over the last few years, it's saved me thousands... but they'll take any proof of service. I suppose having it on your drivers license makes it more convenient.

Not sure if this has been posted before, Veteran ID Card (VIC) It's a picture ID card for receiving discounts offered to vets, I had a paper one from the VA no picture just name address dod#,DOB and branch of service, this one is a plastic card with your picture name and branch of service logo.

Here is the link if you served and don't have a ID card.
How to Apply for a Veteran ID Card | Veterans Affairs

About 5 minutes extra and no junk mail. I had to buy a washer, dryer and fridge. The $500 savings was worth it. They will combine discounts and also take 10% off sale items.

It’s your money

I personally spend thousands annually at home improvement stores and 10% goes a really long way. Now that i’m newly Civ-Div i’ll only shop at Lowe’s.

Home Depot only offers their discount to active duty...not even to retired vets which I very much disagree with. Even someone that spent 20 years pushing pencils (or penises) in the Air Force deserves a little recognition, I guess. Either offer a discount for all or don’t. There’s no reason a boot that just got out of basic should get a discount somewhere, but a medically discharged combat vet with PTSD gets a middle finger.

I literally did nothing of value on paper in 8 years in the Marine Corps, but Lowe’s thinks I still earned a discount to 10% of their products. They have earned my business for the rest of my life.

Home Depot only offers their discount to active duty...not even to retired vets which I very much disagree with. Even someone that spent 20 years pushing pencils (or penises) in the Air Force deserves a little recognition, I guess. Either offer a discount for all or don’t. There’s no reason a boot that just got out of basic should get a discount somewhere, but a medically discharged combat vet with PTSD gets a middle finger.
Depends on the HD and probably the checkout clerk as well. I went to the one in Westfield yesterday and got 10% off by showing them the "Veteran" endorsement on my license - not active, not retired, just garden variety honorable discharge. She then let me know there was a $1.50 coupon for a push broom I bought as well.
YMMV.

Before Lowes changed their policy to include all veterans you had to be active or retired, not just having served. I needed a new riding mower and my wife and I brought her uncle to Lowes with us. He never leaves the house without his ball cap from the U.S.S. Iowa with various pins on it and several lapel pins. When we got to the checkout I asked the cashier what form of ID they wanted. She glanced at uncle and said "no need. Thank you for your service". He had a spring in his step and a smile on his face as we were loading up.

get veteran plates if u can, will likely prevent the stop in the first place. (some will question but I know)!

Depends on the HD and probably the checkout clerk as well. I went to the one in Westfield yesterday and got 10% off by showing them the "Veteran" endorsement on my license - not active, not retired, just garden variety honorable discharge. She then let me know there was a $1.50 coupon for a push broom I bought as well.
YMMV.
Same for me. Showed my license with "veteran" and HD applied the discount.

On a related topic of plates. I wanted to get MA vanity plates with the veteran logo. I was told Veteran cannot be applied to vanity plates.
Then I learned that the veteran plates are premade as 5 digit numbers, and the local RMV will likely let you pick one from the stack they have.
The number I would really like to have is 99105.
I know it had not yet been issued when I checked.
I h
Just need to find out which RMV office has that one in their pile.

Any idea how I can find out which RMV has veteran plate 99105?

Message on the RMV web site was not productive in case you were wondering

How the hell do you guys shop at Blowes and Home Cheapo? Aren't there any real lumber yards and hardware stores where you live? I absolutely refuse to load a cart with lumber and push it through a store and then stand in line and try to explain to the clerk what's in the cart, and then drag it through the parking lot.
Walk up to a big box store employee and ask them if they have any 5/8" CDX fir or some 5/4 red oak. They'll just look at you and cock their head like a dog that just heard a squeak.
When I go to my local lumber yard the people at the counter are all construction pros. I tell them what I need and shortly after I pay for it, it's being loaded into my truck. No morons in vests, no steering lumber carts through crowded aisles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom