• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Veteran's Day: Helping Disabled Vets

(Mods, I screwed up another post. [sad] I put this in the Members section, but it might be more appropriate in the General or other area. Please move as you see fit. Thank you.)

I subscribe to an electronic newsletter called The Shooting Wire. In today's issue they had an article asking people to help support disabled Vets in getting out to shooting events and hunting trips.
Looking for 100,000 Patriots

The Paralyzed Veterans of America-Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund (PVA-ORHF) has announced the launch of their newest program to help injured veterans get outside again to enjoy the outdoors. The program's called " 100,000 Patriots" and it's an initiative that's designed to help wounded warriors in their recovery by involving them in outdoor activities.

But they're not asking for the 100,000 Patriots to host hunts or go afield with injured veterans - this program is designed to help those of us who don't readily have the time participate in making it financially possible for those veterans to step outside. To become one of the 100,000 Patriots, all you have to do is donate $20 to help form a permanent endowment for the Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund. According to Lt. Col. Lew Deal, USMC (ret), the program is a way to say thanks to our troops by allowing PVA to "continue putting our deserving, injured military men and women in hunting blinds, on bass boats, and on the shooting line."

Today, most of the outdoor opportunities for rehabilitating vets are donated by private individuals or clubs around the country, but there are many more injured veterans than there are opportunities. "We have thousands of men and women who have returned home with varying degrees of injuries - far more deserving veterans than available hunts or other trips."

Deal says there's a great need for more outdoor opportunities -but also funds to cover the costs of a soldier's participation. The Paralyzed Veterans of America has proven the outdoor experiences help the vets regain confidence in themselves and their abilities, have some joy in the outdoors, and take a positive step toward being part of the mainstream again.

Like most of you reading this, I'm not able to provide hunting land or a particular expertise needed to get these heroes back outside where they can connect with nature and hopefully reconnect with themselves. But I'm certain I can afford to give twenty bucks to help those who can. To me, the price paid by our modern-day warriors is worth far more than five cups of designer coffee or lunch for two in an average restaurant. After all, while we were worrying about paying our bills, living our normal lives and tending to day-to-day family matters, these heroes voluntarily left their families, traveled half-way around the world, and risked their lives to make certain our lives weren't disturbed.
We've been asked to help spread the word about the 100,000 Patriots program, and I'm personally honored to have the opportunity. To that end, we're going to be monitoring the progress of the program, and quietly encouraging you to get involved as well.

We're less than 48 hours away from the next Veteran's Day, and I think it's an appropriate time for all of us to see what we can do about doing more for our wounded military members. You can learn more about Operation 100,000 Patriots at www.pvaheritagefund.org. If you want to donate hunting trips or other opportunities, you should contact Lt. Col. Deal at [email protected]. If you're a media member and want to join us in spreading the word, you can contact the PVA-ORHF's National Marketing and PR Coordinator Chris Chaffin at [email protected] or drop me a note ([email protected]) and I'll pass the word on for you.

Each one of us can make a difference - and should.

--Jim Shepherd

I was undecided about posting this because it involves Jim Zumbo. For those of you who don't recognize that name, a concise explanation can be found here.

Jim Zumbo is the National Spokesman for the Outdoor Recreation Heritage Fund which is supporting the Paralyzed Veterans of America.

Regardless of how I feel about Jim Zumbo's comment(s) regarding "assault rifles" I think he's doing a good thing by helping to raise money for this cause. If you want to donate to disabled Vets and avoid Zumbo entirely, go to the PVA link above. If you would like to donate to specifically help these Vets get to a hunt or range, then go to the Outdoor Recreation link.

I really don't want this thread to become a rehash of Zumbo. I only mention his association to make folks aware of how he is involved. It would be a shame if people held Zumbo's past mistakes against an organization that's trying to help Veterans enjoy the shooting sports again.

While I was sitting on my ass here at home, getting an education and working, these same Veterans were enabling me to do so. If I can give a few dollars to help them participate in the shooting sport that I enjoy so much, I'm very willing to do so. I hope others feel the same way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. More thanks if you can make a donation. [grin]

(BTW, I capitalize the "V" in Veterans deliberately, as a gesture of respect.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom