Veterans Day Tombstone question....

Stevireno

NES Member
My 6 yr old out of the blue told me he wants to "Do something nice for the soldiers that died." By that he means he wanted to put some of his little collectible pokemon cards on the tombstones of veterans, these cards are very valuable to him, so I think he figures they would appreciate it. We have been talking about how important soldiers are and he knows what Veterans day is all about...

I changed his mind about the cards, and we settled on little American Flags with little flagpoles the size of toothpicks. My question is: does anyone know if I'll get it trouble by placing these on the tombstones? I figured we would just stick them in the ground near the flag that should already be there if the fallen is a vet, but he wanted to put them on the stone...

Thanks, silly question, but this is Mass....

-Steve

If I caught a kid doing that to a family member's grave I'd make him shake my hand. Kids these days.

I'm sure there's somehow a law against that but anyone who is offended by a kid placing an American flag on a veteran's marker needs a knuckle sandwich.

P.S. Where are you getting the flags?

P.P.S. It sure beats the guys around here who stole the bronze flag holders from the cemetery.

Last edited:
Legally I wouldn't worry about it.

Ethically, the flag shouldn't touch the ground.

And last/least my thoughts as a veteran: Thank you - that's a very kind act your son wants to do, and you're a great dad for helping him make it happen.

What would stop them from blowing away (and ending up on the ground)? Toothpickflag.com has stands for $0.59 apiece but they're adhesive backed, which is not a good solution.

Go for it.

A few years back, my kids jumped off the school bus, all wound up: "We have to go to the cemetery, right now!!"

It seems that on the way past, the kids saw some of the flags on the graves had fallen. We hopped in the car, drove over, and they fixed the issue.

It may be from the Simpsons, but: A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Go for it.

My 6 yr old out of the blue told me he wants to "Do something nice for the soldiers that died." By that he means he wanted to put some of his little collectible pokemon cards on the tombstones of veterans, these cards are very valuable to him, so I think he figures they would appreciate it. We have been talking about how important soldiers are and he knows what Veterans day is all about...

I changed his mind about the cards, and we settled on little American Flags with little flagpoles the size of toothpicks. My question is: does anyone know if I'll get it trouble by placing these on the tombstones? I figured we would just stick them in the ground near the flag that should already be there if the fallen is a vet, but he wanted to put them on the stone...

Thanks, silly question, but this is Mass....

-Steve

I know a 6 year old and he loves his Pokemon cards too, they're very special to him and it says a lot that your little guy wants to give them away. My Father is in the National Military Cemetery in Bourne and here is their policy:

FLORAL/GROUNDS POLICY

Cemetery policies are conspicuously posted and readily visible to the public.

Floral arrangements accompanying the casket or urn at the time of burial will be placed on the completed grave. Natural cut flowers may be placed on graves at any time of the year. They will be removed when they become unsightly or when it becomes necessary to facilitate cemetery operations such as mowing. Water will be available at outside faucets from April 15 to Oct. 10.

Containers such as pots, baskets, etc. are not authorized. Privately owned, permanent in-ground flower containers are not allowed.

Artificial flowers will be permitted on graves from Oct. 10 through April 15 and may be removed when their presence interferes with grounds maintenance. Potted plants will be allowed on graves for a period extending 10 days before through 10 days after Easter Sunday.

Christmas wreaths, grave pillows (3x2) and other seasonal adornments may be placed on graves from Dec. 1 through Jan. 20. They may not be secured to headstones or markers.

Flags and flag holders are not permitted on graves at any time. The Avenue of Flags, which consists of donated casket flags, is displayed on Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and other special occasions in lieu of individual grave flags.

Permanent plantings, statues, vigil lights, wind chimes, breakable objects and similar items are not permitted on cemetery grounds. The Department of Veterans Affairs does not permit adornments that are considered offensive, inconsistent with the dignity of the cemetery or considered hazardous to cemetery personnel. For example, items incorporating beads or wires may become entangled in mowers or other equipment and cause injury.

Unauthorized items removed from graves and surrounding areas will be disposed of in a proper manner.

Back when my daughter was in Kindergarten (she is 15 now, so 10 years ago) we saw some soldiers preparing for a drill at our local armory. (Hudson, MA)

She had been afraid of anyone in uniform (not sure why) but the wife and I had talked with her and said that soldiers like these ones were learning to keep themselves safe while they made sure we were safe. So when we are home safe and warm in our beds, there are soldiers who are in the cold and rain watching out for us.

She asked me to stop at the armory. She then asked to get out of the car so we got out. She walked up to the meanest looking guy (the gentleman holding the clipboard and barking at people) and stood in front of him, said "excuse me" He bent down and said hello, she said "Thank you for being brave to stand in the cold so I can be warm and safe in my bed at night" That "mean looking guy" started getting misty eyed and manged to choke out a "you're welcome" before he shook our hands, composed himself, and went back to yelling at people (including the young man who stood next to him and watched him just about cry with a huge grin on his face)

It was a magical moment that I will always remember.

If I caught a kid doing that to a family member's grave I'd make him shake my hand. Kids these days.

I'm sure there's somehow a law against that but anyone who is offended by a kid placing an American flag on a veteran's marker needs a knuckle sandwich.

P.S. Where are you getting the flags?

P.P.S. It sure beats the guys around here who stole the bronze flag holders from the cemetery.

Flags sold at a little pharmacy in town. There like 4 inches tall with plastic red white and blue, I dont know if it is considered a flag, as it is only plastic, but we'll be respectful when we place them

Back when my daughter was in Kindergarten (she is 15 now, so 10 years ago) we saw some soldiers preparing for a drill at our local armory. (Hudson, MA)

She had been afraid of anyone in uniform (not sure why) but the wife and I had talked with her and said that soldiers like these ones were learning to keep themselves safe while they made sure we were safe. So when we are home safe and warm in our beds, there are soldiers who are in the cold and rain watching out for us.

She asked me to stop at the armory. She then asked to get out of the car so we got out. She walked up to the meanest looking guy (the gentleman holding the clipboard and barking at people) and stood in front of him, said "excuse me" He bent down and said hello, she said "Thank you for being brave to stand in the cold so I can be warm and safe in my bed at night" That "mean looking guy" started getting misty eyed and manged to choke out a "you're welcome" before he shook our hands, composed himself, and went back to yelling at people (including the young man who stood next to him and watched him just about cry with a huge grin on his face)

It was a magical moment that I will always remember.

Wow, that is a great story. I'll bet he still tells people about your little girl.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, we're going first thing tomorrow morning, 06:30. If we get in trouble it will be a good lesson that sometimes doing something good can come with a price. I know it will mean a lot to him, we read books on the wars the US has fought in and he gets the sacrifices that vets make. We watch videos of how kids and wives/husbands totally break down when they are surprised by a visit from their loved one in the military.

Last edited:
You have an amazing young son...Keep up the good work dad...tell him my dad would be proud to know a young boy such as yours thought enough to place a small memento of remembrance on a soldiers grave.

I remember as a child I could not wait until the time of the year to buy that poppy from the solider that would stand outside our local grocery store...I would save every penny I had to donate...I think I made my father pull over every time I saw a solider in front of a store...... Years passed and my dad stood out in front of that store colleting donations.... standing ever so humble...Now as I have served my time I now stand ever so humble outside that store selling poppies....

It is nice to know some youths are inclined to do such simple things that mean so much....again one great little kid you have sir....I salute your son.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, we're going first thing tomorrow morning, 06:30. If we get in trouble it will be a good lesson that sometimes doing something good can come with a price. I know it will mean a lot to him, we read books on the wars the US has fought in and he gets the sacrifices that vets make. We watch videos of how kids and wives/husbands totally break down when they are surprised by a visit from their loved one in the military.

Sounds like you have a great young man on your hands.

As a vet, thank you for your (and your son´s) recognition. We didn't do for that, but we really appreciate it. Anyone who would complain does not understand. Thank you.

This turned into a thread about my little guy, I didn't intend it to, but thanks for your kind words. We ended up getting some lager flags, they should stick in the ground, we'll put them near the graves of the VIP's tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom