• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video and audio recording the police.

I'm Massachusetts do you have the right to audio and video record a police officer with his knowledge but no consent. Do you have to get his permission to record him whether your just a citizen recording some police activity or interacting with them your self? I thought the supreme court had ruled that it's constitutional but what does the state supreme court say on the question. I wonder how much it would cost you to find out. I have my phone set up to stream right to a secure location so if the situation warrants it I'm going to record.

Not sure why you care since your last sentence states you have your mind made up.

It is legal for you to record the police during your interactions and in the performance of their duties (as long as you don’t get in the way of them performing their duties when you do it).

That being said, you may still get your skull/phone cracked depending on the officer you run into.

Perfectly legal but it doesn’t mean some dirtbag cop won’t react irrationally.

See the first circuit rulings
Glick v. Cunniffe
Gericke v. Begin

and the recent district court joint ruling of
Martin v. Gross
Project Veritas Action Fund v. Conley

As pointed out above, perfectly legal to video tape police officers performing their duties in public areas.
If you're observing an incident, I would say maintain a distance which clearly shows your not interfering with an arrest or investigation.
Additionally, use common sense and don't impede traffic or otherwise act in a manner that impacts public safety.

It was recently declared to be legal, but in the past MA cops have jammed people up on this. Check out this vintage MA police propaganda on this subject:

Back
Top Bottom