• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Village Sports, No more transfers.

How can transfers not be "worth it"
$25 takes the 4 shops near me about 8 min to do it. Then the only wait is on the mircs.
Adam of ACME back when he was in ma did a estate for me 16 guns in short time about 40 minutes IIRC, I thought I would be there so long I brought water and snacks

How can transfers not be "worth it"
$25 takes the 4 shops near me about 8 min to do it. Then the only wait is on the mircs.
Adam of ACME back when he was in ma did a estate for me 16 guns in short time about 40 minutes IIRC, I thought I would be there so long I brought water and snacks
Didn't make sense to me either, I was a little dumfounded when the guy told me that. Shooting Supply and Armour Sports are less than 20 minutes away, probably a few others I'm forgetting. For some reason that shop has not that great a history, even years ago when it was Ron's.

Pullman Arms is Worcester does $20 dollar cash/ $35 dollar card transfers all day long.
R&R in Belchertown said the same this past Friday over the phone.

Richie too lazy sit behind his computer and have his sales guys to a transfer?? Not surprised.

R&R was one of the places I hated to go to, because of attitude, but he was the only thing somewhat local that carried stock.
Thank god for the internet I don't have to step foot in places like that again.

Time for a transfer
a) log gun into bound book - 2 minutes
b) run background check - 3 minutes
c) log gun out of bound book - 1 minute
d) MIRCS - 3 minutes
e) sign stuff, talk, etc - 2 minutes

What is that, 11 minutes? Now if there are duplicates like 2 guns being done at the same time, the second gun is only 1+0+1+3+0 or another 5 minutes per gun.

Yes, you can get delays like "researching" on the background check that will stretch it out for 20+ minutes, but you can do other work while waiting. You might also get a delay, but that adds at most another minute of work time as opposed to wall time. So assume everything is delayed and you get one gun at a time. 12 minutes. 5 per hour. $125/hr. cry me a river.

On busy days I can have 4-5 background checks queued up to do at once and it never takes 11 minutes per when busy. They go a lot faster. Then again, people are stupid/lazy.

If someone was smart, they would offer $20 transfers or even $15 transfers, but a scut monkey in the corner at $15/hr to do nothing but transfers and pocket the difference.

Village sports. The same shop that messed up and swapped my buddy’s pistol out with someone else’s when it was shipped back to the manufacturer to get something fixed. Then once my buddy realized he got back the wrong pistol and told them the shop wanted him to explain to the other owner what happened and played games about getting the original pistol back into his hands.

Shooting supply is a vastly superior shop anyways. They have great stock and good prices.

Maybe you're right. I have no personal experience with them, but it makes no sense at all to not do transfers.
Demand is greater than supply right now, the shelves are probably pretty thin, I can't imagine that they "don't have time" for a transfer. Doesn't make good business sense to turn away a transfer. If I owned the joint, I wouldn't.
Yeah, something strange is going on down there and it's more than just their refusal to do transfers when no one else is even in the shop. [thinking] My last two visits there were just plain weird. No stock and no other customers. Three disinterested clerks doing nothing and knowing nothing about guns they supposedly have for sale. I think Shooting Supply has hurt them to a near fatal degree. They are on life support now.

Yeah, something strange is going on down there and it's more than just their refusal to do transfers when no one else is even in the shop. [thinking] My last two visits there were just plain weird. No stock and no other customers. Three disinterested clerks doing nothing and knowing nothing about guns they supposedly have for sale. I think Shooting Supply has hurt them to a near fatal degree. They are on life support now.
I’ll bet Armour Sports has cut into their business quite a bit too.

no clue why anyone would go to Village before Shooting Supply. It's night and day.

In fact, i stopped going into VS completely when I lived in MA. Sad because i bought my first rifle there, mid 80s.

I’ll bet Armour Sports has cut into their business quite a bit too.
Maybe so, but that's a very limited part-time operation. I've yet to even catch them open. [thinking]

On the other hand Shooting Sports is a full-time operation 2 minutes away that's always busy. You need to watch the door going in just so you don't get smacked in the face by customers on their way out! [laugh]

Maybe so, but that's a very limited part-time operation. I've yet to even catch them open. [thinking]

On the other hand Shooting Sports is a full-time operation 2 minutes away that's always busy. You need to watch the door going in just so you don't get smacked in the face by customers on their way out! [laugh]
True but when I have been in Armour it's packed

If I’m down in that area I’ll go to shooting supply. I avoid places that won’t do transfers or charge stupid money. I was in one shop charging $60... they won’t get any of my money

True but when I have been in Armour it's packed
Oh, I will get there someday. I see on-line that it has possibilities. [thumbsup] Looks like a very nice shop. [cheers]

But those limited hours are killer for someone like me driving in from a distance. I have my choice of either fighting rush hour traffic on a Thursday night or giving up a chunk of my Saturday to join the crowd (which never works out well for me). [thinking]

The full-time shops generally work better for me. [dance]

Business must be good for them to turn away guaranteed money. I look at it this way. Every time someone comes into the shop to do a transfer they are looking around at other items. That increases the chances of selling something else. Retail 101 is to get them in the door. Seems odd for anyone to be turning away money especially considering you were there early and they were not busy with other customers. To each their own.

Too busy doing what? Selling the massive inventory of firearms and ammo that doesn't exist?

Just an FYI, went into Village Sports today to do a transfer with another member, I got there early so one of the people behind the counter asked what I needed, I said I was here to do a transfer and I was waiting for the other party to show up.

Well, they told me they do not do transfers anymore....at all...because they are too busy ( there were two other people in the shop) and it wasn't worth it money wise, which I kinda get but this is kind of an essential service for gun owners. So Just be aware if you go in there and try to do a transfer.

BTW, we went right down the road to shooting supply and they had no problem doing the transfer...and they were a lot busier!

Just an FYI, went into Village Sports today to do a transfer with another member, I got there early so one of the people behind the counter asked what I needed, I said I was here to do a transfer and I was waiting for the other party to show up.

Well, they told me they do not do transfers anymore....at all...because they are too busy ( there were two other people in the shop) and it wasn't worth it money wise, which I kinda get but this is kind of an essential service for gun owners. So Just be aware if you go in there and try to do a transfer.

BTW, we went right down the road to shooting supply and they had no problem doing the transfer...and they were a lot busier!
Those guys always had a lot of guns, but their prices were pretty high. I’m surprised they are still in business given Shooting supply is down the street.

It's an unprecedented time right now in terms of the country and gun sales. If they'd rather focus on selling guns instead of transfers right now, then that's their choice. When things are slower I'm sure they'll go back to doing transfers.

Sure when 90% of that biz heads down to Shooting Supply and "Takes a Village" can't feed the kids anymore. What a piece a work.

It's bullshit that we have to do any xfers through a dealer at all. They should be able to concentrate on new/used sales and estates.
Extend the limit to 12... or, 20 private sales per year and most of us would be very happy...

They have been know for the longest time to be the worst overpriced gun shop in the area. This comes at no surprise. Shooting supply moved in up the street and it's been the best thing that's happened for gun owners in the area. Mark is hands down the easiest to deal with and also makes Four Seasons a pointless drive for us here on the southcoast.

They have been know for the longest time to be the worst overpriced gun shop in the area. This comes at no surprise. Shooting supply moved in up the street and it's been the best thing that's happened for gun owners in the area. Mark is hands down the easiest to deal with and also makes Four Seasons a pointless drive for us here on the southcoast.
Good for you guys down there.

A few clicks north, Littleton is Gun Heaven.

Back
Top Bottom