• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Virginia AG to end reciprocity with all other states.

Close, but no ceegar:

The State Police superintendent accepted Herring’s recommendation to sever agreements with those states, effective Feb. 1, according to Herring’s office.The states are: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Agreements will remain with West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

“To me, this is a commonsense step that can help make Virginians and our law enforcement officers safer by ensuring that Virginia’s laws on who can and cannot carry a concealed handgun are applied evenly, consistently, and fairly,”

There's that buzzword again. It's as overused as the race card

ironically, MA would qualify, if they'd go reciprocal

MA can't qualify with most states on reciprocity anyways because its permit term is actually too long. Not to mention there is dirty shit in MGL that wouldn't allow for true reciprocity, like that whole "have you ever been convicted of any drug BS". While other states ignore minor drug convictions MA uses it as a universal DQ (with the recent exceptions of the MJ issues because of the decrim law) So unless some other state is that ****ed up, you'd never see reciprocal with MA.

-Mike

Ok. So here's the revised post title: "Virginia AG to end reciprocity with FIVE-SIXTHS of all other states IT CURRENTLY HAS AGREEMENTS WITH".

What A-holes. I hope the VA voters are paying attention. Does anyone know whether the Virginia AG is an elected or appointed position?

Ok. So here's the revised post title: "Virginia AG to end reciprocity with FIVE-SIXTHS of all other states IT CURRENTLY HAS AGREEMENTS WITH".

What A-holes. I hope the VA voters are paying attention. Does anyone know whether the Virginia AG is an elected or appointed position?

I think the AG is being a douche but you also have to keep in mind what reciprocity actually means. If there's some state law that requires it in these agreements (rather than just simply recognizing the licenses) then those agreements are violating the law if the laws don't match up. That said, there's no reason the AG couldn't have just
left well enough alone.

My guess is VA law is polluted with a lot of garbage as to who is legally allowed to possess guns. It's probably not like VT or NH where the classes of state prohibited persons are pretty limited in scope. (or at least a lot simpler to understand).

-Mike

This leaves Utah and Florida as the "Multi-State" licenses.

I've got a Virginia non-resident pistol permit, it just lost almost all of its value to me.

(with the recent exceptions of the MJ issues because of the decrim law)
The decrim law only covers civil citations. The state continued to enforce the lifetime DQ for a MJ conviction until the second of two federal court victories on this issue.

This leaves Utah and Florida as the "Multi-State" licenses.
Except, curiously, NV which accepts some out of state licenses but neither UT or FL.

I can't help but wonder how many CCW permit holders must have been flocking to Virginia in order to commit firearms offences legally, that they had to go to such lengths to protect their citizens?

So, Virginia can also refuse to recognize driver's and marriage licenses from other states as well?

Drivers' licenses come under federal DOT somehow, someway - presumably because of the interstates. Not a lawyer, so don't really understand it, and certainly open for further explanation/correction. Marriage licenses, well, we've certainly seen the arguments taken up to the supreme court about them being recognized for non-hetero-sexual couples in other states; so the jury's still out on that one.

Getting back to gun permits - they're accepted by states based upon agreements between the states as determined by the Attorney Generals of the states. And depending upon the state the agreements are more or less "reasonable".

I live in Connecticut, (for another three weeks - fyvm Dannell Malloy). Connecticut does not recognize ANY OTHER STATE's permit. Period, full stop.

I currently have a CT permit, (my state of residence) and non-resident permits from Utah, Virginia, Florida, Maine and New Hampshire. That allows me to carry in roughly 33 states, but I *STILL* can't get out of CT carrying legally.

When I move to Georgia, I won't be able to carry in its neighboring state South Carolina, and I can't get a non-resident permit for SC until/unless I purchase property there... (saving my pennies already).

Governor McAuliffe of Virginia is another Democrat ahole, just like Malloy of CT, and he's just fcked up Virginia's multi-state reciprocity for no particularly good reason. Doosh.

For me, the 2nd and 14th amendments together make it obvious that everyone has a legal right to keep and bear arms anywhere in the country, but what do I know, right? I am just a citizen, not a lawyer or a corrupt, oath breaking neo-liberal politician.

The VA AG is an elected official. They said if we voted for Cucinelli that women's bodies would be controlled and they would be less safe... and they were right!

The reason this is coming from the AG through nonlegislative means is because the VA legislature is still solidly "Republican," and anti-2A legislature has a snowball's chance in hell of passing. The best comment I've seen in response was on Instapundit: "President Cruz could issue an executive order establishing a federal right to carry that overrides all state laws. He could really sweeten it by citing the plain language of the Second Amendment, "shall make no law" and declare any license or permit requirement forbidden under the Constitution. He'll have a pen and a phone, and we now know that is how the country is governed, right? Forward!"

Hmm. I'm a believer in states right too, over federal power, but individual rights trump all. Would you be in favor of another state censoring free speech?

Individual rights certainly do trump all, but in this case VA residents can still exercise their 2A rights.

And non-residents don't lose their rights either. They don't have to travel to VA, and if they really must go there they can get a non-resident permit.

In a perfect world there would be national reciprocity - or better yet, no permits required at all - but we don't live in a perfect world.

Why wouldn't states love this? It's more money in the coffers for out of state permit holders who had a free ride. Although I will admit it *should* be a free ride!

Individual rights certainly do trump all, but in this case VA residents can still exercise their 2A rights.

And non-residents don't lose their rights either. They don't have to travel to VA, and if they really must go there they can get a non-resident permit.

In a perfect world there would be national reciprocity - or better yet, no permits required at all - but we don't live in a perfect world.

If we agree that the 2nd Amendment gives me a constitutional right to bear arms, why is that right any different when I go from one state to another?

Would you grant me free speech in MA, but then deny that right in NH or CT? Hey, if I want free speech, I don't have to travel to NH or CT, right?

Nope. That doesn't make any sense at all.

This sucks but as a believer in states' rights, I can get behind it.

So, the Utah non-resident permit is still good in Virginia? Ok. States rights wins. Not the nicest move ever, but ok.

The right to bear arms is not a state's right. It is an individual right enumerated in the Constitution, one that neither the federal government nor state governments has any authority over. I feel like people who champion states rights don't even understand it.

The federal government has certain powers granted to it in the Constitution. The Constitution also list certain things no government has the power to do. All OTHER things that don't fall in these categories (bearing arms DOES fall in one), are delegated to the states or the people. It is not simply that the states have the right to do whatever they want.

Yes, that's why it says "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" instead of the right of the state to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately we have allowed our public servants to become our masters instead of keeping them within the constitutional limits they are supposed to abide by.

Hmm. I'm a believer in states right too, over federal power, but individual rights trump all. Would you be in favor of another state censoring free speech?

Back
Top Bottom