• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vision issues

1903Collector

NES Member
So I have reached that wonderful point in life where the front sight is a friggin blur, I can see the target just fine but my sight picture is shit. If I put my readers on I can see the front sight but then the target is a blur. Got an eye doc appt in March but was wondering what others have done because this really sucks!

Walt

I had 20/20 until 3 weeks after taking the jansen “vaccine”. Now everything is blurry on a dime. I thought maybe it was a small side effect however it has been 4 months and not getting better. Even when my sight was good I always pointed and shot. Not really looked at the sights anyways.
Yikes that’s pretty scary.

So I have reached that wonderful point in life where the front sight is a friggin blur, I can see the target just fine but my sight picture is shit. If I put my readers on I can see the front sight but then the target is a blur. Got an eye doc appt in March but was wondering what others have done because this really sucks!

Walt
An Appleseed instructor told me a tale once, of this creaky old, clearly half blind man that made rifleman.

The old man told the guy his secret.

He just pointed the sights at the center of the blur.

On guns that will work with one, try red dots.
Got'em on some guns and they do help but its just not practical, I'd be buying red dots by the case lol
I had 20/20 until 3 weeks after taking the jansen “vaccine”. Now everything is blurry on a dime. I thought maybe it was a small side effect however it has been 4 months and not getting better. Even when my sight was good I always pointed and shot. Not really looked at the sights anyways.
No vax yet, I'm still a pure blood...lol

On guns that will work with one, try red dots.
^ This. For ringing steel or shooting silhouettes at 10 yds,"the blur" is plenty adequate for me. For anything more precise or at longer distances the red dot is my answer (short of scope range). If you haven't tried them, do. Since you would be focusing on the target, red dots would probably work just fine for you.

^ This. For ringing steel or shooting silhouettes at 10 yds,"the blur" is plenty adequate for me. For anything more precise or at longer distances the red dot is my answer (short of scope range). If you haven't tried them, do. Since you would be focusing on the target, red dots would probably work just fine for you.
I was always taught to focus on the front sight and mostly concerned with my CCW handguns, most of my long guns have scopes or RDS's on them. I guess at close range 7-10 yds it wouldn't be so much an issue.

See a good ophthalmologist and have a conversation with them about what your visual needs are. I have progressive bi-focals. I've been very clear with the people who make my glasses that I spend a lot of time in front of monitors, (software developer by trade), I ride motorcycles and I shoot - and that I need glasses that will accommodate this lifestyle.

As a sidenote, I don't recommend transition lenses, (light to dark). Get two pairs of glasses, clears and sunglasses and carry the pair with you that you aren't wearing.

Got'em on some guns and they do help but its just not practical, I'd be buying red dots by the case lol

No vax yet, I'm still a pure blood...lol
They are becoming practical on carry guns. A small percentage of PDs are now issuing red dot sighted handguns.

I was always taught to focus on the front sight and mostly concerned with my CCW handguns most of my long guns have scopes or RDS's on them. I guess at close range 7-10 yds it wouldn't be so much an issue.
Takes training (like everything else), but creating the habit of focusing on the target and then moving the red dot to desired POI takes less time than you probably expect. The other advantage I've realized is that red dots have encouraged me to shoot with both eyes open. Better awareness (for me), and faster target transitions. I know many already shoot iron sights with both eyes open, I always struggled with that and was also taught to intensely focus on the front sight. That became comical in my 50s with progressive glasses. Gun was in the same position by my head was squirreling around while I tried to find the middle of the lenses where the front sight was in focus. Sigh...🤓

I've gone through several cycles of adjusting my shooting glasses to accommodate increasingly bad near vision. Get an optometrist who understands the needs of shooters. The prescription in the dominant eye will not be your standard distance setting, nor your reading setting, but will have the focal point brought in just far enough to allow you to see the front sight clearly. If your vision is not too bad yet, you will still be able to see the target relatively clearly.

Another thing you can do, if you have aperture iron sights, is switch the rear aperture to a smaller diameter. This increases depth of field so that you can see the front sight sharply. I have an article here about how it works on my personal favorite 10/22: My Target Sights

Walt
Try readers at less strength
If you tell your eye doc what you need he can help.
I started with a +.25 lens in the hood of my rear sight. That worked well for years.
Then it was +.50 Rx lense in my shooting glasses.
Now for 300 yards and closer I use a +.75 if I actually get out to 600 I need to go back to the +.50 or down range is tough to look at and I get that sea sick feeling

I have learned to fudge it by using readers with the power of 1.00. (My normal reading glasses are 1.75 to 2.00) It allows me to see the front sight well enough while not completely screwing up my distance vision, which is still very decent. As others have said focusing on the front sight is key anyway so it works for me. I have been thinking about seeing one of the eye doctors who are shooting sport friendly and getting their recommendations.

The guy we see in Topsfield MA is a shooter. My girlfriend and I wear prescription glasses and everything recommended to date by him has not failed us. We both are using progressive lens. Good luck.

Last edited:
Try readers at less strength
If you tell your eye doc what you need he can help.
I started with a +.25 lens in the hood of my rear sight. That worked well for years.
Then it was +.50 Rx lense in my shooting glasses.
Now for 300 yards and closer I use a +.75 if I actually get out to 600 I need to go back to the +.50 or down range is tough to look at and I get that sea sick feeling

I have learned to fudge it by using readers with the power of 1.00. (My normal reading glasses are 1.75 to 2.00) It allows me to see the front sight well enough while not completely screwing up my distance vision, which is still very decent. As others have said focusing on the front sight is key anyway so it works for me. I have been thinking about seeing one of the eye doctors who are shooting sport friendly and getting their recommendations.

Measure the distance from your eye to the front sight post in meters. Take the reciprocal of that measurement and you end up with the reading glasses power you need.
Assuming you distance prescription is corrected to zero (plano).

Example:
0.5 meters to my pistol front sight.
1/0.5 = 2
Buy +2.00 reading glasses.

Walt
At 67 I have struggled greatly with this. I became far sighted first, got away with cheap reader. Then near sightedness rears its ugly head. I tried adjusting the eyepiece on my scopes but it was pointless, I still couldn't see a damn thing downfield. So I need to wear my distance glasses in the field and most days it's OK. Cold, rainy, snow and such the damn things fog up and on really cold days it feels like the frames are freezing to my face. It's an on-going battle.

There is no perfect solution, especially for carry.
If you are target shooing you have more options. The best of which is monovision which has one lens focused on your front sight and the other on the target. Takes a few minutes to get used to.

For defensive shooting, learn to shoot with the blur. The only other option is a red dot, but those have issues themselves. Personally, I much prefer mechanical sights on handguns--100% reliable, no fogging with extreme temp changes and never have to find the dot when off screen

I wear progressives from my regular optometrist. I took my prescription to the Walmart eyeglass location in Dartmouth. The optometrist there had made shooting glasses for others. He took my close prescription and my distance prescription and made me a pair of single prescription safety glasses with a prescription in the middle of both. Works pretty well.

Keep this in mind if you are planning to use special glasses on the range. While they will help, you won't have them on the street. If its for carry, practice with the glass you will wear every day

I’m seeing floaters now in my eyes. Left eye has a blurry floater in the middle of my vision. I think I’m screwed. Cataracts?
IDK, I think they can do a lot with those today. My last eye exam the doctor told me I had very tiny ones and not to worry about it....I said then you shouldn't have said anything!

Back
Top Bottom