Visit home ends with a stabbing/Woman outraged after attack

Visit home ends with a stabbing Woman outraged after attack

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
Visit home ends with a stabbing

Woman outraged after attack

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

[email protected]

WORCESTER— Marcy M. Kannan just came home for the weekend to visit her mother. The Unity College of Maine senior instead is heading back to school disgusted after she was attacked by two men Sunday night on Hale Street.

The attack left her with a gash on the right side of her ribs and a swollen face from being punched. Her assailants got away with her pocketbook and the $60 cash inside, but she refused to comply easily.

The Army National Guard sergeant had just finished parking her Jeep on Hale Street around 9 p.m. just outside her mother’s home when a man approached her.

“He said give me your money. I told him no,” the 24-year-old said. “He came at me and I fought back and we started scrapping at that point. He punched me in the face and I scratched him.”

Sometime during the fight, Ms. Kannan was stabbed. She didn’t feel the wound. Her training taught her to deal with shock, she said.

But the apple-sized blood mark on her white sweatshirt revealed what happened. She was treated at a city hospital and released.

“I’m outraged,” Ms. Kannan, a senior studying conservation law enforcement and hoping to be a state environmental police officer, said. “This is what I have to come back to? I really love beautiful Worcester and this is not what I wanted to come home to.”

She plans on moving back here, she said in a telephone interview yesterday, but she made it very clear the next robber could be in serious trouble if they come after her.

“It will never happen again. That’s for sure,” Ms. Kannan said. “I will be applying for a license to carry (a firearm).”

Her assailants are described as two black men between the ages of 18 and 25 and both wore dark-colored hooded sweatshirts. They took her tan pocketbook with the black DKNY-brand wallet inside. Police are investigating the incident, police spokesman Sgt. Kerry F. Hazelhurst said. Anyone with information is asked to call the Detective Bureau at (508) 799-8651.

Ms. Kannan is sure she scratched one of her assailants’ faces to the point it was gouged. As a five-year Army National Guardsman, she was a little disappointed she didn’t react quicker.

“These two ganged up on me,” she said. “I was definitely fighting back.”

Ms. Kannan said some of Hale Street is well-lighted, but not in the area where she parked. She wants people to be aware of their surroundings and people to look out for one another.

“I was real fortunate. It’s just a shame,” she said. “They’re lucky they got what they got.”

She'll probably have fun dealing with that douchebag Gemme,
although the fact that she was assaulted by thugs "might" be
enough to get her an unrestricted license, who knows.

-Mike

“I’m outraged,” Ms. Kannan, a senior studying conservation law enforcement and hoping to be a state environmental police officer, said. “This is what I have to come back to? I really love beautiful Worcester and this is not what I wanted to come home to.”

She plans on moving back here, she said in a telephone interview yesterday, but she made it very clear the next robber could be in serious trouble if they come after her.

“It will never happen again. That’s for sure,” Ms. Kannan said. “I will be applying for a license to carry (a firearm).”

I hate when people need something bad to happen to them before they open their eyes.

"She plans on moving back here, she said in a telephone interview yesterday, but she made it very clear the next robber could be in serious trouble if they come after her.

No doubt sufficient reason for denying her LTC-A (ALP) application...

they have her driver's license and other info. that tells where she lives. They just may go over there to take a little more revenge.....

She should move now and change all her charge cards and stuff....

I'm glad she's ok.

If denied...

she should raise suit if at all possible that the police after knowing that she was assaulted and now a likely target because they have her adress and info, should be held liable if a single hair is hurt on her head. This shit can not stand. People need to lose jobs, hell even pensions over these kind of decisions (assuming a denial of ALP and NOT expedited). I hope she carries a very large knife now and spills some guts if needs be. Shes got no fear of getting down an dirty it seems! Good for her... I hope she gets her A.

she should raise suit if at all possible that the police after knowing that she was assaulted and now a likely target because they have her adress and info, should be held liable if a single hair is hurt on her head....

One of the big reasons for demanding enforcement of the 2nd Amendment is that the police are not liable for anyone's safety.

[grin]

One of the big reasons for demanding enforcement of the 2nd Amendment is that the police are not liable for anyone's safety.

[grin]

So... if we can't equip ourselves, and they aren't liable OR RESPONSIBLE.... who then? The moral muck of this whole thing makes me sick, its IMMORAL to refuse someone the right to life and their preservation of it, nothing is more disgusting or degrading than someone telling you you don't have that right to be safe. [angry]

I would love to see the News follow her application...to see if Douchbag will give it his blessing!!!! Hope she does need to come back to see mom in the next...ummm 20 weeks or so it will take to get her LTC..if Blessings are given!

she should raise suit if at all possible that the police after knowing that she was assaulted and now a likely target because they have her adress and info, should be held liable if a single hair is hurt on her head. This shit can not stand. People need to lose jobs, hell even pensions over these kind of decisions (assuming a denial of ALP and NOT expedited). I hope she carries a very large knife now and spills some guts if needs be. Shes got no fear of getting down an dirty it seems! Good for her... I hope she gets her A.
Uh... Guys? She hasn't even applied yet, much less been denied. Let's not go nuts here, OK? Who knows? The pig may sing, and Gemme may give her an unrestricted LTC-A.

So... if we can't equip ourselves, and they aren't liable OR RESPONSIBLE.... who then?
Exactly! This is why we need the freedom to arm and defend ourselves.
The moral muck of this whole thing makes me sick, its IMMORAL to refuse someone the right to life and their preservation of it, nothing is more disgusting or degrading than someone telling you you don't have that right to be safe. [angry]
We're in total agreement. But we want to watch ourselves when we say things like suing the police because someone was harmed. So far, the courts have always sided with the 2nd Amendment (inadvertently) by denying that law enforcement has any liability. If a decision ever came back saying the police are liable, then we're in for a raft of shit like you've never seen. We would need at least ten times the current police funding in order for the police to protect themselves from lawsuits! We'd have police everywhere, because how else would they be able to defend themselves in court if anyone is harmed by a criminal?

But for clarity, I agree with you that the police shouldn't have the right to deny - or delay - anyone their right to self defense. If God forbid her LTC is delayed or neutered, and something happens to her as a result, then I think the police are naturally at fault, but it was because of the LTC shit, and not because they were liable for her safety.

[smile]

Uh... Guys? She hasn't even applied yet, much less been denied. Let's not go nuts here, OK? Who knows? The pig may sing, and Gemme may give her an unrestricted LTC-A.

So does that mean we change Worcester to yellow if it
happens? [laugh] "Can get A/ALP w/stab wounds + police report"

-Mike

Years ago - and I do mean many years - I lived in Braintree while attending public junior and high schools. There was a known troublemaker who had been in and out of Bridgewater State Hospital several times, and had a regular habit when home of wandering around with a shotgun in the crook of his elbow through some wooded areas behind my neighborhood.

One day, he decided he wanted to hang out w/me after school; my mom is a single parent and worked full time and I was one of those latchkey kids.

I called the police and my mother to tell them that he was beating on the door with a 2x4 because I wouldn't let him in.

The police denied my mother's request for a license, stating that she wanted it "for revenge purposes only" and was likely to be more of a danger than the neighborhood thug.

As this CLEO seems to have a history of ALP denials, I'm not sure her newspaper quote will help her cause [angry]

The police denied my mother's request for a license, stating that she wanted it "for revenge purposes only" and was likely to be more of a danger than the neighborhood thug.
Isn't it so nice to know that these morons are looking out for the welfare of the neighborhood thugs? [angry]

The police denied my mother's request for a license, stating that she wanted it "for revenge purposes only" and was likely to be more of a danger than the neighborhood thug....[angry]
Oh my f***ing god. They...err, I don't want to be arrested so I'll stop right here.

[grin]

I'm pretty sure that Chief Polio was in charge when Karen's Mother went thru this. Polio was a thorn in everyone's side who wanted a gun permit. I used to hear stories about him in this regard when I was Legislative Chairman at Sharon F&G years ago. [Historical note: Not sure if I ever met him, but his Brother was one of my High School teachers.]

The attitude of many chiefs was (and still is, but they choose their words carefully to avoid lawsuit) that women couldn't be trusted with a gun. Irks me no end, but that is reality . . . at least in their narrow-eyed view.

Back
Top Bottom