• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visiting Philadelphia..non-resident, with MA LTC.. Carry in Philly?

The police can't even approach you in PA for showing a firearm, they can't even ask you for a permit. You can walk down Broad street in Philly open carrying and the police can't approach you until you jaywalk or commit some other crime. The Commonwealth court has repeatedly held that all firearms on a person must be considered legally possessed, they need to see an actual violation of the law to approach you.
Thats true for Pennsylvania but Philadelphia (a city of the first class) is an exception. You can be asked to show a CCL when open carrying and arrested without one. Even with a CCL depending on the cop and the circumstances of your interaction you may be looking at a disturbing the peace charge.

After Bruen, all restrictions on MA LTCs went away as they are invalid.

My first PA LTC was issued by Berks County in 2017. When it came time to "renew" last year they were no longer issuing to non county residents. As you know it's up to each sheriff to decide if he will issue to non county residents.

I researched the counties along both the NY and NJ borders and Wyoming County. I applied on line, received a call from them asking me when I wanted to come in. It's a five hour drive each way, but it's not a bad trip, just long. They were very nice and it took maybe 30 minutes for the whole process.

Pike, Lackawanna, and Wayne Counties no longer issues or renews non county resident LTCs. As I recall, none of the counties along the NY/NJ border issue them.

As others said she can only carry concealed or open in Philadelphia with an LTCF. In PA, we do not have a non-resident LTCF, you are issued the same permit as a resident and you pay the same amount, $20.00. You must apply in person or find a county that will allow you to apply online, most require in person. Some counties like Philadelphia don’t do non-residents at all.

I think in Mass you all have weird limitations like target and hunting. Those are not considered here, you will be issued a LTCF without any restrictions.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, retards will shit on Philly. In some ways it’s deserved, in most it’s just ignorance.

Edit: As to timing, she will walk out with her PA LTCF the same day. In and out of the sheriffs in 20 minutes.

Not true. There are a good number of southern states that will recognize a MA LTC. No reciprocity from MA, but the other states will recognize it. VA comes to mind, but they recognize all other states permits. Texas recognizes a MA LTC, or did before they adopted permitless carry.

People should know by now that a Ma LTC outside the confines of Massachusetts is a worthless piece of plastic.

Thats true for Pennsylvania but Philadelphia (a city of the first class) is an exception. You can be asked to show a CCL when open carrying and arrested without one. Even with a CCL depending on the cop and the circumstances of your interaction you may be looking at a disturbing the peace charge.

You’re wrong. I own a home in Philly and I’m here quite a bit. There are plenty of stories where police have asked about a visible gun and they are all tossed out of court.

You’re wrong. I own a home in Philly and I’m here quite a bit. There are plenty of stories where police have asked about a visible gun and they are all tossed out of court.
That also reads "There are plenty of stories where someone had to involve an attorney when the police took action against them for a visible gun".

The skank population seems to be thriving.

Ever play an RPG video game and all of the NPCs are just standing around, not doing anything, waiting for you to interact with them. I bet if you talk to one of those Philly folks, they will set you on a quest where you can gain rare loot.

No no no! They get the rare loot. You get an ass kicking and a big hospital bill.

Yeah, Philthydelphia is a very gun-unfriendly city and the city cops reflect that attitude as well.

Also, I grew up in Western PA. I've been conditioned from childhood to avoid going to Philly at all costs.

That also reads "There are plenty of stories where someone had to involve an attorney when the police took action against them for a visible gun".
Shit does tend to happen, you of all people are certainly aware that cops don't understand the law often times. The other way to look at this is, how many cops that understand the law never hassled somebody for displaying a firearm.

Yeah, Philthydelphia is a very gun-unfriendly city and the city cops reflect that attitude as well.

Also, I grew up in Western PA. I've been conditioned from childhood to avoid going to Philly at all costs.
I grew up in Western PA, still own a farm there. I make the best of Philly, I never claimed it was perfect in fact its down right nasty sometimes. My hood is great, good people and safe and I'm in the city. The police chief has stated many times that residents have a right to defend themselves with lethal force. Armed citizens have put down criminals at a record pace this year and none have resulted in charges. You are operating on a false narrative or an expired one

Not true. There are a good number of southern states that will recognize a MA LTC. No reciprocity from MA, but the other states will recognize it. VA comes to mind, but they recognize all other states permits. Texas recognizes a MA LTC, or did before they adopted permitless carry.
1660742535926.png

PS They have to be in Philadelphia from Oct 6 thru 10... Therefore maybe not enough time for a Non - resident application via online or mail??
Thanks everyone, as always, for the great advice.
Bob

The process is in person and takes 15-20 minutes from start to finish if you pick the right county to apply. This isn't like Mass where it can take months.

People should know by now that a Ma LTC outside the confines of Massachusetts is a worthless piece of plastic.

No states have reciprocity with MA however having a MA LTC allows you to carry in Constitutional Carry states since Constitutional Carry states allow anyone who can legally carry (with or without a license) in their home state to carry in their State. If it’s a CC State and you have a MA LTC, you can carry there, but that doesn’t mean they “recognize“ or have any type of reciprocity w MA.

No states have reciprocity with MA however having a MA LTC allows you to carry in Constitutional Carry states since Constitutional Carry states allow anyone who can legally carry (with or without a license) in their home state to carry in their State. If it’s a CC State and you have a MA LTC, you can carry there, but that doesn’t mean they “recognize“ or have any type of reciprocity w MA.
There are states that are not constitutional carry that consider a MA LTC valid for carrying, but do not have a reciprocity arrangement with MA.

If it is a non-CC state, and they accept your MA LTC as valid, they are "recognizing" it even though there is no reciprocity.

There are states that recognize a valid MA LTC that are not constitutional carry states. Don't confuse that with reciprocity, which simply means that MA recognizes those states' permits in return. MA barely recognizes it's own permits, and certainly no one else's.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ma-gun-laws/

There are states that recognize a valid MA LTC that are not constitutional carry states. Don't confuse that with reciprocity, which simply means that MA recognizes those states' permits in return. MA barely recognizes it's own permits, and certainly no one else's.

I wouldn’t trust a USCCA map as far as I could throw it, and I’m a USCCA member.

MA has no reciprocity with any state, however recognition is different than reciprocity. When Rick Perry was Governor of Texas he issued and executive order extending recognition to MA LTC holders. I know because I carried there from 2011 up until they went to permitless carry on my MA LTC.

AL before they extended their recognition to all states, also honored MA LTCs. Only FL and SC among the southern states do not now recognize a MA LTC. WV does not recognize a MA LTC, but technically it's not a southern state. ;)

They can mail the paper work in to Wyoming County and could drive there on the way to Philadelphia and pick it up.

That's assuming they are driving. If I had to drive to Philadelphia I'd take the long way through NY into PA than turn south. You don't want to be driving through NJ with firearms in you vehicle.

PS They have to be in Philadelphia from Oct 6 thru 10... Therefore maybe not enough time for a Non - resident application via online or mail??
Thanks everyone, as always, for the great advice.
Bob

For those interested, it looks like Berks County has started to accept out of state applications again. The process has changed and you have to mail in the application and once approved make an appointment to drive down to either the county courthouse or the sub station at Redding Airport to have your picture taken and license printed.

Back
Top Bottom