Volquartsen 10/22 HP Action kit... Heads up!

scouter-rick

Training Counselor
NES Member
I finished installing the VQ HP Action kit in a 10/22 this weekend.

Instructions were wrong in a few areas, actually calling for parts to be installed that did not come with the kit and also the lack of pictures (Which is typical of other VQ products I have installed) make the need for other sources of data and pictures necessary.

After getting the discrepancies figured out and having the trigger assembly ready to go I reassembled the rifle and started to test the action with dummy loads. The bolt would not lock back on 1 in 3 or more attempts. Fortunately, when the failure to lock occurred it also did not reset the trigger assembly and so it was not possible to "fire" as the trigger was not reset.

Comparison to one of the other 10/22's with VQ parts identified the issue as the disconnector. The shape of the replacement disconnector is slightly different in the HP kit. Apparently, the new 10/22's which have the polymer trigger block have the hole for the trigger pivot in a slightly different location. As the result the disconnector does not depress properly and fails to reset the sear in it's upper position causing the hammer not to latch properly.

Speaking with VQ has confirmed these findings and they are sending a new disconnector to resolve the issue.

Searching the web has revealed that this has been a relatively common issue with these kits recently.

Heads up!

-Rick

I recently purchased and installed a volquartsen 10/22 action plus kit, installed easy but when finished I ended up with a worse trigger then the factory, after disassembly and inspection I found the hammer and sear were crap, surfaces were un polished and grainy looking, after calling Volquartsen and getting no response, I polished the surfaces (eventhough the package said it would void any warranty) and reassembled trigger, that brought the trigger pull down to 2.5 pounds which I'm sure I could have done with the factory trigger, also the take up with the Volquartsen trigger, plunger and spring supplied with the kit have a horrible chatter feel, I haven't disassembled again to work on that yet. I have purchased and installed many Volquartsen trigger parts and kits for Ruger mark pistols dating back to the 1980's and always been happy them but my experience with the 10/22 action plus kit has not been good.

Back
Top Bottom