VP9 or P30L

cfbackrow

NES Member
I was offered several different trades this week. One is the VP9 non night sights model and another was the P30L decocker model...anyone have both..I've never shot either one but have always wanted an HK...which one is a better quality? trigger? thanks

I don't like the P30's trigger, or the decocker on the back. I would go with a USPc (better trigger and decocker on the side) if you want DA/SA, otherwise the VP9 if you're ok with striker fired.

Also not sure why a P30L, since the P30 doesn't seem like the most accurate gun to start with for target shooting due to the trigger.

I've tried both. Both are well made pistols.
First off I only own and prefer hammer fired guns. Never liked Glocks. Was disappointed with the m&p pistols. But after trying out the VP9 I was very surprised. Extremely well balance. For the hand perfectly. Great trigger. That is gun I would buy myself.

Neither usp or bust lol hate the trigger on the p30 for what it costs and the vp9 blows if you have sausage fingers. The groove for the mag release put a nice blister on my index finger after a hundred rounds

Two different roles really, the P30L is really a competition gun capable of the 4.1 LEM or match DA/SA.

VP9 is amazing IMO, can't go wrong. Some Glock fanboys will knock it but it's a great gun at a great value and really raises your level of shooting. HKparts trigger upgrade makes it even better. Best striker on the market.

If it didn't have that one issue with the trigger guard I'd have been higher on the gun but you can race gun the $hit out of the vp9 if you so chose. Personally I just prefer a usp trigger. Very well made mags are tough to find in ma tho.

I have both, and both are great guns. P30 decocker is useless if you're a lefty. PPQ trigger beats the VP9 trigger, though.

my two cents. I had a P30 and currently have a VP9. I do prefer the VP9. Not a huge DA/SA fan. Both nice guns of course. Get the VP9 and a few more mags and a bunch of 9mm and you'll be right at the price of a P30 HAHA...Best of luck

both guns are excellent. build quality on the P30 is a bit higher, but it's irrelevant with respect to function or accuracy.

personally i kept my P30L and sold my VP9 because i find striker fired stuff boring, but i could see keeping the VP9 just as easily since it's such a great machine. note the VP9 trigger does pinch my finger ever so slightly. after 100ish rounds became noticable. had similar issues w walther PPS nothing major just annoying. The P30 doesn't have trigger blade safety so non-issue.

I LOVE my VP9 and the only thing I would change about it is caliber. (.45) I also lust for a P30L just to have it. And I have the HK45, it is carried and brought to the range more than anything else I own. I am now an HK fanboy.
38da33841c609e1cad4ef0885dd6acba.jpg

Last edited:
I expect with walther having the PPQ .45 already on the market it will happen soon.

Also i would like to see a VP9SK,

Between a p30, and a vp9.. id probably tell you to go buy the p30sk

I had a VP9, traded it for a virtually new G19 Gen 4. I still have sellers remorse.....
You could always sell the G19 for sa,e or more than you paid for it. Buy the Vp9 again and still have money left over.
My opinion is that the VP9 is the best striker fired I have ever tried. And I can get any Glock gen4 new if I wanted.
I'm thinking a VP9 is gonna be my first striker fired pistol to add to my collection in the near future.

I was interested in the P30L 9mm as my old eyes focus better at slightly longer distances and the longer slide would place the front sight in a more favorable location. I tried one at 4S with the intent to buy on the spot. Unfortunately the pistol I dry fired had the infamous "SIG creep" on each press. I gave up on the P30L at that point. I purchased a VP9 at Mass Firearms School (nice folks) and found the trigger to be superior to the P30L, ergonomics to be excellent and the sights to be typical OEM crap that I replaced with a black Dawson rear and fiber optic front. My only disappointments are the shorter sight radius and the fact that the VP9 generates more recoil and muzzle flip than a comparable Glock. Since I intend to use this pistol for IDPA and USPSA matches, I may be swapping the VP9 for a G34.

Back
Top Bottom