• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VT gun owner traveling to other states with guns?

I do not currently live in VT, but may move there. I know VT doesn't have any licenses, so how would I travel with guns to other states that do require licenses? Thanks

Blake

IIRC, Blake, you get the local PD to write you a letter certifying that you are legally allowed to own/carry guns and you can use that to apply for non-res permits in states that issue them (in place of sending them a copy of your LTC).

I don't remember all the details as I don't live there (as you well know! [wink]) but you can PM Nickle either here or on the Appleseed forum; as a VT FFL he knows the process.

Bear in mind in most of the US you only need permits/licenses for concealed carry. So depending on where you are going and what your needs are, you may not even need a permit. Places like MA/NJ/NY/DC are obvious exceptions, where you basically need permits to breathe.

-Mike

Okay Thanks. I know in MA, where I currently live :( , high cap mags have to be pre 94, but in VT they don't have to be. What if I was traveling to MA with high cap mags that weren't pre 94, would that be allowed?

Okay Thanks. I know in MA, where I currently live :( , high cap mags have to be pre 94, but in VT they don't have to be. What if I was traveling to MA with high cap mags that weren't pre 94, would that be allowed?

You can't (legally) come into MA with guns without a nonres LTC anyways so the point is somewhat moot, unless you're using one of the narrow exemptions built into the law. (EG, fudd guns are exempt if you have a hunting license, and there is also a competition exemption).

FOPA of course would let you pass through MA unimpeded, assuming of course you comply with the storage provisions.

ETA: I just realized you're already an MA resident and probably have an LTC here, but if you move to VT and dump your MA residency your MA LTC (supposedly) becomes invalid once you do this. You would have to get re licensed in MA as a nonresident to bring guns back into MA at that point.

Regardless, postban mags above 10 rounds aren't legal for ownership/use here unless you're exempt under the law (eg, LE/Mil use/MA FFLs (and most people aren't. )

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom