Vz 24/47

KMM696

NES Member
Picked up a Vz 24/47, and I'm looking for more info on it. I'm not real familiar with Mausers. My impression of it is that it's a variation/modification on the Vz24 (guess, based on a beat up Vz24 I have). It has that rearsenalled look about it, and looks like some of the parts were reassigned to this rifle after being modified.

Vz_Model.JPG

Vz_SN.JPG

Vz_Crest.JPG

Vz_Floorplate.JPG

Vz_Stock1.JPG

Vz_Stock2.JPG

Vz_Stock3.JPG

The bolt doesn't match, which is unfortunate, but it headspaces just fine. Wasn't advertised as matching, so no gripes - just hoping.

Vz_Bolt.JPG

Did whatever military had this tell soldiers to use the bayonet to take the bolt apart?? [rofl]

Vz_Bayonet.JPG

Finished my first run at getting the cosmoline out, cleaned up the outside of the stock a bit, started getting the bore clean. Lands look great, but there's gunk in the grooves which is still coming out. No signs of rust, yet. Picked this one up because the Vz24 I have has what I can only describe as a divot in the chamber. If you fire a round out of it, the brass (once you get it out) has a 1/4" diameter wart on the side of it where the brass formed into the whole. Can't find the brass from the one shot I fired, but it's scary. I've got a replacement barrel for it, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. The Vz24 was a 'good, cracked stock' from back when they were selling them in 5-for's, so it's not like I've got a lot into it.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me anymore about the 24/47, I'd appreciate it. I bought it as a shooter, but I like knowing what I've got when I can. Hope the pics work - still looking for a good hosting site that isn't annoying to use.

The VZ 24 is a Czech model that was made for export and used domestically. it is known to have many different crests depending on who it was made for or who was reigning in Czechoslavakia (King Carol vs King Michael). The 24/47 is a Yugoslavian rifle. Many were reworked/ refurbed after WWII . A lot of 24/47s look brand new. I had one but sold it. Nothing wrong with it. it is a great rifle, i just needed room in the safe.

I prefer the crests of VZ 24.

IMG_0850.jpg

The M24/47 IS NOT a VZ24. The M24/47 started life as a Model 1924 produced for Yugoslavia by FN in Belgium. After the war, they were rearsenaled and designated the 24/47. The 24/47 is known as an "intermediate Mauser." This designation comes about because the action is slightly shorter than that of a M98 type action. This means that the bolt will not swap with any 98k, G98, Argie Mauser, VZ24, etc.

While they are not overly rare by any means, they are valued as very good shooters due to their not being heavily used, if at all, and having exceptionally good bores.

Back
Top Bottom