• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VZ 58s back in stock at Atlantic Firearms

Thirwell1216

NES Member
Some VZ 58s have hit the shores and if you are looking for an alternative to the AK, you won't go wrong on this one. Maura can't rage on you with these. No AK parts are interchangable. They are going up in price, but well worth the coin. I have two and dont shoot any of my AKs now.:

View: https://youtu.be/MVKDtzv4Edw

I've heard that, how is the recoil impulse compared to an AK - these VZs are striker fired, right?

They're far smoother than an AK. They are tappet-operated, like an AR180 or an FAL, so you don't have to deal with the rifle jumping around from the long stroke of the piston.

Hopefully some members picked up one! If you did, grab a bonesteel arms muzzle brake for $25. It is a copy of the Slovak brake and worth every penny. I have bought more expensive brakes, but they dont really do much more than the Bonesteel arms brake.

Even in full auto the VZ is a sweet shooter:

View: https://youtu.be/0F9PzwcRVL0

Last edited:
*shrug*

Then don't. No skin off my nose.

It's the best x39 rifle available, IMO. And the opinion of many others.
i bet it is good. if i would still be around parts where i could get a fresh zink of 7.62 for a bottle of vodka - makes total sense. here - hardly any.

I went back and forth the day Atlantic sent the email out. I'm signed up for an in-stock notification since they said they will be getting more.

Import availability moving forward is going to be a question mark which is why I'm tempted to move now. I've wanted a vz58 for a while since I appreciate Czech arms, and Cold War rifles. It'd go well with my FALs, AUG, AKs, and the rest. That, and the vz58 is highly regarded as an excellent rifle (it crushed Rob Ski's 5000 round torture test, and he was very impressed with it).

Plus, x39 is still comparatively cheap and available, the last case of x39 I got a while back was still only like 32 cents PR shipped. I can reload 223 cheaper, but I've got several cases of x39 laying around still for my SKS and AKs.

$1560 isn't a terrible price for these all things considered these days. I wouldve thought they'd be more. They've been hovering around 1700-2k mark used. I've been wanting one as well, with the classic "beaver barf" furniture though.

I went back and forth the day Atlantic sent the email out. I'm signed up for an in-stock notification since they said they will be getting more.

Import availability moving forward is going to be a question mark which is why I'm tempted to move now. I've wanted a vz58 for a while since I appreciate Czech arms, and Cold War rifles. It'd go well with my FALs, AUG, AKs, and the rest. That, and the vz58 is highly regarded as an excellent rifle (it crushed Rob Ski's 5000 round torture test, and he was very impressed with it).

Plus, x39 is still comparatively cheap and available, the last case of x39 I got a while back was still only like 32 cents PR shipped. I can reload 223 cheaper, but I've got several cases of x39 laying around still for my SKS and AKs.

Right, the biggest thing under threat right now is imported guns. We've already lost ammo and guns from China and Russia. The most likely next thing on the chopping block is imported AK, CZ, HK, SIG, etc., pistols. Biden and Congress can't really do much to touch the domestic gun market, but they can absolutely kill imports.

Buying imports direct from the importers and distributors is a good investment because people loose their shit when imports get banned and buy up everything they can at inflated prices. Saigas used to be $200 to $500 and Veprs used to be $900 when I bought mine. Go look how much they cost now, used.

Love this gun. Great shooter. Lighter than an AK. Built like a tank. And unlike an AK the action stays open after the last round.

Only downsides I see are proprietary mags and it gets really hot. No biggie though.

$1560 isn't a terrible price for these all things considered these days. I wouldve thought they'd be more. They've been hovering around 1700-2k mark used. I've been wanting one as well, with the classic "beaver barf" furniture though.
Atlantic was selling the beaver barf ones for $1800 or so in the same batch.
It's what I'd go with.
I think I'd buy a folding stock as well since unlike an AK, no special trunnion is required:
1641312545727.png

For actually shooting though, the fixed stock is going to be more comfortable. But, I could swap them back and forth as desired.

I'll admit that i skinflinted into a couple vz2008s back when they were $350 each. My buddy got a vz58 from Czechpoint for 1000 about the same time. When compared side by side, there were very little differences that mattered. He immediately grabbed 5 more vz2008s.🤣🤘 Those are going for over a grand these days too.

Atlantic was selling the beaver barf ones for $1800 or so in the same batch.
It's what I'd go with.
I think I'd buy a folding stock as well since unlike an AK, no special trunnion is required:
View attachment 560108

For actually shooting though, the fixed stock is going to be more comfortable. But, I could swap them back and forth as desired.
Ill have to keep an eye out then. Yea thats cool feature I just learned of recently. Wasnt aware it was an easy swap like that. Definitely a nice touch, wouldn't mind one either.

Mine I bought used from a member here for about $1100; at the time, it was a stretch for me. But I'll never let it go. It had genuine wood furniture too, though I've also got most of a set of beaver barf.

Mags have always been pretty reasonable and easy to find, even new, even in MA. There are also some online tutorials for how to make your own heat shield out of a beer can to solve the overheating problem for those with beaver barf or plastic, and it's really easy to do.

Last edited:
at $1560, for a 7.62x39 plinker? i bet it is a good design, but, at $1560?
I remember catching shit for spending $1300 each on three of my veprs. "Those things were $800.. you are an idiot paying $1300". Fast forward to today. They are selling on gb... the ones actually selling for $2500+. I saw a x54r 20in sell for 2400 two weeks ago. I have no doubt this will also be the case with this rifle once they ban its importation.

I remember catching shit for spending $1300 each on three of my veprs. "Those things were $800.. you are an idiot paying $1300". Fast forward to today. They are selling on gb... the ones actually selling for $2500+. I saw a x54r 20in sell for 2400 two weeks ago. I have no doubt this will also be the case with this rifle once they ban its importation.
Purse-fighting over what other people pay for anything is pointless. Its a trade. You would rather have a Vepr than $1300. The guy you bought it from would rather have the money. Someone else only wants it more than the $800 in their pocket, but no more. Maybe someone else wouldnt want the Vepr for any price.

Back
Top Bottom