Vz58 Build.

So to start this off, I have disliked this whole build from the get go. Mostly because I got into it because of a spur of the moment 2am purchase online without any research. That being said, here's the story.
I purchased a parts kit on FB about 2 years ago. It was $200 shipped and the pictures were taken with a potato, and the description was "rifle kit". I assumed it was labeled as such to avoid it being flagged. It was from a seller I had seen before and he had references, so I took a chance. To my untrained eye and mixed with terrible photos, the AK kit I thought I was buying ended up being a mix of about 3 firearms, with a VZ58 being the most complete out of the parts.
So I kept the parts and have been slowly trying to source all of the parts needed. If you do a quick search, there are about a dozen places that have VZ parts. The biggest problem I have found is that all of them call the parts by their own name and none of them matched the description to the build guide that I found and was following. It also didn't help that the guide uses full auto parts.
Another huge problem was finding a receiver. Shout out to @Nafets for giving me a heads up when he saw some hit the market.
So after all of this time, I have about 95% of the parts needed and started the build.

So from the parts kit, I was able to salvage a lot of parts. It was missing most of the small parts but the big stuff was in good condition.
I tried like hell to save the original barrel, but it just wouldn't budge. Heat and a 20 ton press did nothing. I called it a loss, and ended up buying a new one. Which in the long run, was a better idea because they come 16" and I dont have to worry welding on the brake now or going SBR route because the original barrel was 14.5" if memory serves me correct.
Price: I think with everything all together, I'm into this thing for like $1,200. The biggest hit was the receiver, which Assault Weapons of Ohio is now producing. That ran me $500. Expensive, but once I saw the amount of machining that went into it, I shrugged it off. Another thing that killed me was shipping on the small parts. Getting a few parts here and there with each vendor hitting me with $15 shipping to send a few pins racked up quick. Whatever, its only money, and I did it all so I didn't lose out on that original $200 late night purchase.

Last edited:
20200201_233831.jpg20200201_140452.jpg
Parts all together waiting for me to figure out how to put them all together.
20200201_160610.jpg
Pressing the new barrel in this manner turned out to be a terrible idea.
20200201_200216.jpg20200201_185803.jpg
Ended up making a small block to press the barrel on, so that I was applying pressure from the bottom of the barrel where there was a step in diameters rather than the muzzle.

20200201_201642.jpg20200201_201013.jpg20200201_205327.jpg20200201_205319.jpg20200201_201817.jpg
Drilling and pinning the barrel, front sight and gas block. The barrel also needed a gas port drilled.
20200201_233606.jpg20200201_232919.jpg20200201_232910.jpg20200201_232905.jpg20200201_233540.jpg
Some rough assembly pics as I'm dry fitting everything.

Last edited:
LOVE my Vz58. It's the gun I never knew I was looking for. It's difficult for me to think of a flaw, honestly.

With that said, I hope you're having a good time building yours because $1200 is about the going rate here in MA for a complete, finished rifle with extra mags. I paid slightly less, but mine has the wood furniture rather than the beaver barf.

The result will be well worth the pain you're going through. It's a sweet-shooting rifle.

I'm sure it's just an optical illusion, but your dry-fit pics where the whole rifle is put together looks a little sway-backed to me. Like the receiver and the barrel are not coplanar?

I'm sure it's just an optical illusion, but your dry-fit pics where the whole rifle is put together looks a little sway-backed to me. Like the receiver and the barrel are not coplanar?
The picture def mad emy heart jump a beat when I looked at it. But it must be the camera or something, because it looks good in real life. Lol.

Lighter than an AK47, proprietary magazines. Bolt stays open after last round. Solid rifle. Oh, and it gets hot as hell!

Picked this project back up today after a year of nothing. Looking to go to the range in the next few days to test some AKs out, figure take this one as well. Went to do final assembly today and had a dead trigger. I remember reading something about it at some point and telling myself "I should fix it before it happens to me". Well I'm glad I experienced it today in the garage and not the range. Basically cut a tiny spring and install it on the right side of the sear, forcing the sear to the left at all times.

Also, I spent about $500 last summer to build some really nice work benches. Today, I am using a $3 bucket because it is the perfect height when I sit on my rolling chair. Also also, playing with springs and small pins over a trash is a genius idea.

20210519_173127.jpg
20210519_173133.jpg

Been looking, not aggressively, for one of these for a while.
On the fence about trying to obtain one up here or waiting till next year when the circumstances are less communist pinko faggoty.
I might p.m. you to pick your brain a little.

Looks good!

I have a bayonet for you if you're set up for one. My Czechpoint was neutered. It'll give me an excuse for a road trip one of these days!

Looks good!

I have a bayonet for you if you're set up for one. My Czechpoint was neutered. It'll give me an excuse for a road trip one of these days!
I literally woke up this morning in a panic that I never replied to this message. Haha
Thanks for the offer, I have a bayo. But we should hook up for some range time. There's gotta be a DNR range between us.

Back
Top Bottom