• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Waco Texas police "crime prevention and safety inspections"

Just glancing over the Crime Free Housing Program on the Waco website. This looks to be completely legal. It "appears" that these are rental units where the landlord has requested and paid for this program and I would "assume" the tenants would have had to agreed to somewhere in a contract.

Kind of like when you read about HOA's that say no pitbulls or guns are allowed in the condo's and the internet sets ablaze with "that's a violation of the Constistution!" threads.. No it's not, the HOA isn't the government and those people signed a contract saying they would happily pay a fee to have neutered rights.

Just glancing over the Crime Free Housing Program on the Waco website. This looks to be completely legal. It "appears" that these are rental units where the landlord has requested and paid for this program and I would "assume" the tenants would have had to agreed to somewhere in a contract.

Kind of like when you read about HOA's that say no pitbulls or guns are allowed in the condo's and the internet sets ablaze with "that's a violation of the Constistution!" threads.. No it's not, the HOA isn't the government and those people signed a contract saying they would happily pay a fee to have neutered rights.

Man, I'd be pissed if I didn't read that contract thoroughly and suddenly cops were in my house on an inspection(also why you always read the contract lol)

Man, I'd be pissed if I didn't read that contract thoroughly and suddenly cops were in my house on an inspection(also why you always read the contract lol)

You can't sign away a right. 4A and 5A always applies.

You can't sign away a right. 4A and 5A always applies.
Some folks are all to eager to do this, you know, that safety and security thing. Wait, breaking news, 55% of the population has signed their constitutional rights over to the .gov, in return for EBT cards and section 8 assistance. News at 11, stay tuned for more.

- - - Updated - - -

Would that hold up in court though? If someone signed it and say the cops came in and found some weed or something?
Only if the cops turned the weed in.

Would that hold up in court though? If someone signed it and say the cops came in and found some weed or something?

I seriously wonder if someone said, I'm not opening the door because I need privacy or they weren't warned that someone was coming and they said now isn't a good time if they would have good precedent to fight in court. If not, who is to say they couldn't barge in during an intimate moment, etc. There has to be some sort of stipulations involved.

Westfield also has this program. It appears as though they are doing things half ass backwards in Waco. Normally this would be conducted on vacant units and an exterior inspection of the property to give the landlord tips on bushes to eliminate, lighting spots, peep holes in doors, verifying that dead bolts use 3" screws that actually secure to a stud to prevent forced entry etc. They are only done at the owners request and as I said normally on vacant units. I guess if someone wanted it certified for whatever reason they could push the issue but I don't see why they just wouldn't skip the occupied units and then have them inspected upon a turnover.

As for 4A issues, we landlords have access to our property at anytime in emergency and with proper notice for maintenance/ procedural. If the tenant denies entry you can get a TRO against them and forcing entry. The key becomes what's reasonable and owner access with notice is widely accepted as reasonable. Now say the complex has had issues that peep holes, properly secured doors, lighting etc could prevent some stuff? It could come down to being in the owners best interest to stop having doors smashed in, property vandalized, windows broken etc all stuff they are responsible for and at that point I could see a push secure all units on the property (from an owners prospective) but proper notice still applies and is limited to the work areas (entryways etc)

Last edited:
They say you're not required to be home for this inspection. Does that mean if you aren't there to let them in, they don't come in? Or does it mean the landlord will open the door for them? My guess is the latter.

It would be fun to answer the door butt ass naked with a video camera and record the entire inspection. Fun, that is, after getting past the whole violation part.

I used to live in an apt where they would come in periodically to change the filter on the furnace or do some other routine maintenance and I hated it. I can't imagine how I'd feel if they invited the cops in.

Legally the owner of the building just has to notify the tenant about entering the apartment so many hours before hand unless it's an emergency. The cops doing an inspection is not an emergency and should not be a reason to enter without notice.

They say you're not required to be home for this inspection. Does that mean if you aren't there to let them in, they don't come in? Or does it mean the landlord will open the door for them? My guess is the latter.

The latter. There was a similar inspection at my apt building a while back...they said they said I didn't have to be there -- the Board of Directors for the building appointed a rep to walk around with a master key so they could let themselves in. You bet your sweet ass I made sure I was there.

The latter. There was a similar inspection at my apt building a while back...they said they said I didn't have to be there -- the Board of Directors for the building appointed a rep to walk around with a master key so they could let themselves in. You bet your sweet ass I made sure I was there.

I would think its a bit different if the police are inspecting vs the landlord. The police carry a very different legal environment.

It's one thing to have the right to inspect and/or maintain the apartment. It's quite another to invite the police in.

I wouldn't allow them in with the police. Period. They can hire a private consultant, but they may not bring into my apartment an on-duty officer unless that was SPECIFICALLY in the lease.

(and I have nothing to hide and have frequently had the police in my home as they show up with the EMTs)

These inspections are required by the state if your complex receives section 8 funds.

Its always 10% and random. It is not the complex management doing the inspection. The state is inspecting the complex for compliance with fire codes, health codes, and section 8 requirements. They are there to write up the complex. Cops go as legal protection. Inspector finds drugs on a table type things. The cops are also there for protection in the case ypu are not home and come back and find something missing. They are the second opionion that nothing was stolen during the inspection.

Also some violations can be so severe that criminal penalties can be invoked or condemning the property is required requireing the residents removed from the property.

Sent from outside the iron curtain.

X

It's one thing to have the right to inspect and/or maintain the apartment. It's quite another to invite the police in.

I wouldn't allow them in with the police. Period. They can hire a private consultant, but they may not bring into my apartment an on-duty officer unless that was SPECIFICALLY in the lease.

(and I have nothing to hide and have frequently had the police in my home as they show up with the EMTs)

I hope you actually read the lease before you signed it. If not, you probably signed away your right not to let anyone in that the building management wanted to bring in.

I hope you actually read the lease before you signed it. If not, you probably signed away your right not to let anyone in that the building management wanted to bring in.
Screw them, let'em go to court and get an order for me to open my door.

Good thing I'm neither a renter nor a section 8 leech.

Screw them, let'em go to court and get an order for me to open my door.

Good thing I'm neither a renter nor a section 8 leech.

That TRO is extremely easy to get if the landlord has a justified reason.

Not that I agree that this is maintenance or worthy of entering an occupied apartment for. When it's for things like section 8 they set those inspections up with the tenant not the landlord. If the landlord is lucky you are notified of when the inspection is. Cfmhp is totally different and a program that the landlord calls all the shots with the pd. If they don't don't want occupied units inspected that's their choice. The pd can't over ride them and this is a good tenant/landlord dispute that should be fought because there's no reason to bring Leo or any non maintenance personnel in to an occupied unit( except for showings for sale,renting,lender etc)

Well, that's the whole point, there's no reason for the police in my apartment, hence the "go get an order" attitude, the government isn't invited in as far as I'm concerned.

But like I said its not really my issue, thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom