• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

waiting period?

I am looking to buy a mass compliant ar-15 next saturday am an wondering if there is a waiting period to bring the firearm home. I have heard many different answers to this and couldn't find an exact answer on here or google. Thanks in advance!!

There are no waiting periods in MA. (or NH, VT, ME, for that matter).

The only thing remotely close to it is if you get a NICS delay, and that's impossible to know unless you've been through NICS before. Thankfully it doesn't happen to most people. Worst case that's usually 3 days tops.

Don't forget your PIN for the MIRCS system. (the PD should have given you this or you should have gotten it in the mail from CHSB).

Note- this is NOT the UPIN on the 4473, so don't fill it in there. (that's a whole other ballgame that doesn't apply to most people). This is ONLY if your fingerprint fails the scan on MIRCS.

-Mike

If you live in MA there is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm. Don't make things more difficult than they already are. You must have a LTC-A to purchase an AR. Weren't the laws covered in your Firearms Safety Class?

have a class a large capacity and use to be an LEO.. have few handguns and nvr been arrested nor speeding ticket so that won't be a problem...or so I hope lol....thanks for all the quick replies

If you live in MA there is no waiting period for purchasing a firearm. Don't make things more difficult than they already are. You must have a [STRIKE]LTC-A[/STRIKE] LTC (either Class A or B) to purchase an AR. Weren't the laws covered in your Firearms Safety Class?

FIFY [smile]

have a class a large capacity and use to be an LEO.. have few handguns and nvr been arrested nor speeding ticket so that won't be a problem...or so I hope lol....thanks for all the quick replies

It's not your "record" you have to worry about (assuming you got your LTC). If your name is common, like "John Smith" you are likely to get delayed . . . because on first pass if someone has the same name and close DOB AND has a record, it will have to be sorted out at FBI/NICS before they will give the dealer a "proceed".

Another poor soul lost in the BS which is MA gun laws and ignorant citizens...hopefully he will get involved with his local organizations..nudge nudge GOAL, COMM2A, ETC

Len,

Force of habit, I am so used to writing LTC-A that my fingers just flew. BTW I never had to take one of those Mass Firearms Safety Classes, like you I'm grandfathered [grin]

Mark, I know that you know the correct answer. It's just that many here read and believe and that can confuse an already confusing situation.

I recently learned that the 'optional' social security number on the NICS form can actually delay you if you leave it off. I have made same day purchases, and then when I decided not to put my SSN on the form, I was delayed for four days. And I do not have a common name.

To be safe, you should probably go ahead and give them your SSN.

Good luck

I recently learned that the 'optional' social security number on the NICS form can actually delay you if you leave it off. I have made same day purchases, and then when I decided not to put my SSN on the form, I was delayed for four days. And I do not have a common name.

To be safe, you should probably go ahead and give them your SSN.

Good luck

YMMV but I would never give them my SSN. Been buying guns since the mid-70s and never a problem. I would rather wait than hand out my SSN to every dealer, clerk, agency, company for "convenience"! As I said, YMMV. Remember the papers at the dealer only need one unscrupulous employee (think of places like Dick's, Wal-Mart in some areas, etc.) to pull some names/DOB/SSN and they could be off and running destroying you with credit and criminal activity . . . and this could be done years after a transaction too.

If it became a real problem to me, I would get a UPIN first . . . at least that can't easily be used to steal my identity.

Friend #1 has been delayed by NICS delay 6 days. Friend #2 went lastnight for his AR NICS delay will call you. Why so long? There is no waiting period law but is this the way to implement one?

Last edited:
Friend #1 has been delayed by NICS delay 6 days. Friend #2 went lastnight for his AR NICS delay will call you. Why so long? There is no waiting period law but is this the way to implement one?

No, just dealers not doing a default proceed if it drags out after 3 days. Depending on the shop, some have policies (not law) that they won't release a gun on a default proceed. If your friends keep getting delayed they should just apply for a UPIN sooner rather than later, it doesn't always get rid of the delay but it often reduces it.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom