Wal-Mart Can't Sell Ammo in MA?

Hi All,

Walked into my local Wal-Mart (Tewksbury) to buy some ammo, and was told by the sales person that MA does not allow Wal-Mart to sell ammo[angry]!! He told me that I can get ammo at the Wal-Mart in Salem, NH, but nowhere in MA. What's going on here? Gun shops sell ammo in MA, why not Wal-Mart. Also, is it legal for me to buy ammo in NH, and transport it in my car back to MA? It's getting to the point where it's difficult to know what the hell the regulations mean, and how they are enforced [rolleyes]

I buy ammo from the Plaistow Wal-mart all the time and transport back to MA.
Just do yourself a favor anyhow and spend the <MOD: typo-$20 not $100> on getting NH Non-resident permit - the turn around is about 10 days normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure some Walmarts in MA sell ammo. Chelmsford also does not. I was at the Hudson, NH walmart last night, and they seemed to have a decent selection of the common calibers. Also, if you buy in NH, you save the 5% sales tax.

If so, that's a very new development - I buy ammo in the Hudson, MA store all the time. Haven't bought for a month or so, so if it's true (which I doubt, as each store is licensed individually), it's only within the last month that it's happened.

More likely you met a clue-challenged store clerk. [rolleyes]

Oh, and you can bring as much ammo back from NH as you want and can fit in your car. No laws against it, and you DON'T need a NH CCW permit to buy it. Only if you want to carry concealed while you do so.

Ross

I think the person you talked to is spinning BS.

Ammo is for sale at the Wal-Marts in N. Attleboro, Bellingham and Walpole MA, been there bought there.

Each town issues the state permits to sell ammo . . . or not. Some places, the chief won't issue the permit and in others due to violation of MA laws, the chief has pulled their permits to sell ammo. But it is on an individual store basis that this happens.

It is legal for damn near anybody to buy ammo in a "free state", no ID required unless to verify age. You can transport it to MA only if you have the appropriate license, but that is on you due to MA anti-gun laws.

I think you ran into a moron...

I bought a case of CCI .45 from the Framingham Wal-Mart about two-three weeks ago.

The one on Route 9 in one of those boros between Framingham and Worcester also carries it.

I think the person you talked to is spinning BS.

Ammo is for sale at the Wal-Marts in N. Attleboro, Bellingham and Walpole MA, been there bought there.

Each town issues the state permits to sell ammo . . . or not. Some places, the chief won't issue the permit and in others due to violation of MA laws, the chief has pulled their permits to sell ammo. But it is on an individual store basis that this happens.

It is legal for damn near anybody to buy ammo in a "free state", no ID required unless to verify age. You can transport it to MA only if you have the appropriate license, but that is on you due to MA anti-gun laws.

+1 I buy in all my local Wal Mart but when i stopped at the one in Quincy they do not carry it because the town would not give them a permit to sell it. HERE WE GO AGAIN QUINCY!!!

Hi All,

Walked into my local Wal-Mart (Tewksbury) to buy some ammo, and was told by the sales person that MA does not allow Wal-Mart to sell ammo[angry]!!

No, this is more likely the reality:

Translation from salesdroid-ese: "We did something stupid and lost
our FFL and can't sell ammo, but I don't want to tell you that, so
I'm feeding you this bullshit instead."

[laugh2]

-Mike

The one on Route 9 in one of those boros between Framingham and Worcester also carries it.

Do they? I was there a month or two ago and they didn't have an ammo case. I walked down all the aisles near the Sporting Good area. I usually just buy at Hudson or Framingham.

I buy ammo from the Plaistow Wal-mart all the time and transport back to MA.
Just do yourself a favor anyhow and spend the <MOD: typo-$20 not $100> on getting NH Non-resident permit - the turn around is about 10 days normally.

While a NH NR permit is nice, you don't need it to purchase ammo in NH. MA is one of the few states that requires a license to purchase ammo.

The northboro walmart does carry it, but they don't have a dedicated case, it's under the counters at the sporting goods desk.

A while back WalMart decided that it wasn't profitable for most of the Massachusetts stores to stock and sell ammunition. They made a decision to drop their licenses and devote the floor space and personnel to more profitable lines. There's no reason to expect the people on the floor to know the real reason their store does or doesn't sell some particular item.

Ken

Many of the Wallmarts throughout the state can not sell ammo. I am not sure why this is however it could have something to do with City/Town regulations and lic.

Every Walmart I've visited in MA sold Ammo (4 or 5). I think this has already been brought up, but if a new manager takes over the store, then they have to apply for a new license to sell ammo.

The Hadley Wal-Mart still has a good selection of ammo, at least the last time I was there.

The Wal-Mart in Chicopee opened about 2-3 years ago and was in the process of stocking ammo for sale but (according to a clerk) they screwed up on their license application and were denied permission and decided not to pursue the issue.

New Walmart supercenter in Northbridge stocks ammo, although I've noticed that the only kind I'd buy would be .22lr bricks. The sale prices at Dick's for plinking stuff is far better, and anything in a JHP, or like 7.62x39, 7.63x54r, 9x18 etc. I'll get at my LGS.

The Raynham Super Walmart sells ammo, or did a few months ago when I was there. They don't sell rifles any longer, but the guy in Sporting Goods told me that was a corporate decision, not something local.

Gary

Hi All,

Walked into my local Wal-Mart (Tewksbury) to buy some ammo, and was told by the sales person that MA does not allow Wal-Mart to sell ammo[angry]!! He told me that I can get ammo at the Wal-Mart in Salem, NH, but nowhere in MA. What's going on here? Gun shops sell ammo in MA, why not Wal-Mart. Also, is it legal for me to buy ammo in NH, and transport it in my car back to MA? It's getting to the point where it's difficult to know what the hell the regulations mean, and how they are enforced [rolleyes]

Thats a Walmart choice. I buy my ammo all the time in Danvers. Anyway go to a Dicks Sporting Goods and they usually have better prices anyway.

I was at Wal Mart in Fairhaven, MA today to pick up a few bricks of federal .22lr. There is a cardboard sign behind the counter:
"ATTN: All associates. We can not sell ammo to any customers because our license has expired."

I wonder if it will be renewed.

FYI:

EVERY FFL (and probably state license issued by local chief) MUST have the name of the PERSON RESPONSIBLE (store manager, department manager, etc.) on the license.

IF/WHEN the named person leaves that store, the FFL/License is NULL AND VOID. The next person must then file for a new/changed FFL/License and NO SALES are allowed until that new FFL/License is issued. Takes months!

This could well be the problem at many Wal-Marts, as turnover of help is probably reasonably high.

Back
Top Bottom