Wal-Mart Can't Sell Ammo in MA?

FWIW I went looking for 40 S&W ammo today at Wal Mart in Dartmouth and found out they sold out of the value packs so I figured I'd try Fairhaven. I remembered a post here about someone saying their license expired and called first. The guy in sporting goods said they still couldn't sell ammo but that their new license should be in any day now and they would continue to sell once it comes in.

Northboro/Westboro store on Route 9 has a nice little selection of ammo...
You apparently ran into a knuckle head at that store

ammo

who voted in those ***polititions.the gun owners who did not vote and those who love the demos.get reloading and you wont have to worry.and by the way it appears that the rest of the country is going hog wild to get loading and casting equipment.all the mail order houses are back ordered.WW are getting scarce.[rofl]--[rolleyes]

Everytime the department head IE sporting goods manager position is changed they have to reaplly for the permit to sell ammo. Atleast thats what they did when I worked there in college.

Wal-Mart in Sturbridge has ammo in stock but have not been selling it in almost two years now. I have been told that the manger does not want to apply for a license. What an a$$.

Wal-Mart in Sturbridge has ammo in stock but have not been selling it in almost two years now. I have been told that the manger does not want to apply for a license. What an a$$.

WalMart in Sturbridge is selling ammo again, something about a "new manager from CT and trying to get a license to sell ammo in Mass problem". Also WalMarts in West Boylston and Leicester are selling ammo, though West Boylston was a little light in inventory.

Last edited:
Both Walmarts in Raynham sell ammo. But recently the Rt44 location stopped and put a sign up saying they temporarily can't sell ammo, I'm sure something happened or someone screwed up. Rt138 location still does but doesn't seem to be as large of a selection but has the common calibers.

Hi
Both Walmarts in Raynham sell ammo. But recently the Rt44 location stopped and put a sign up saying they temporarily can't sell ammo, I'm sure something happened or someone screwed up. Rt138 location still does but doesn't seem to be as large of a selection but has the common calibers.
This usually happens when a license lapses or a manger changes. Ammo sales license are issued by local PDs to an individual manger or employee.

The Hadley Wal-Mart still has a good selection of ammo, at least the last time I was there.

The Wal-Mart in Chicopee opened about 2-3 years ago and was in the process of stocking ammo for sale but (according to a clerk) they screwed up on their license application and were denied permission and decided not to pursue the issue.

Westfield as well.

Bob

Damn. Now I'm remembering ammo prices from 10 years ago. :(

I remember buying SA Milsurp 308 (well, 7.62 x 51 NATO) for $22 for a 140 round battlepack.... lol... how I screwed up so badly by not laying in like 5000 rounds of that stuff and an HK91 that I had my eyes on back then... friend of mine in CA got lucky and scored a case of that stuff when it was still cheap...

-Mike

When ever a thread gets resurrected, I find it interesting to click on the people who posted in it and see if they are still active or fell by the wayside. If they are gone, I wonder why they left... This thread had a few infamous members who got banned, a moderator that left, and few recognizable names that are gone. Then we have FPrice who was here at the start and the end... amazing. [thumbsup]

Each local store has to go through our states process. For some reason individual store screw it up or don't do it . It seems to coincide with new management.
Ive heard you cant phiscally go and do what need to be done, mail in only.
I have no idea of how accurate this info is being as its source was a Walmart employee..

Its somthing you would think corporate would handle and not a store manager.

Walmart definitely sells ammo in MA

Each local store has to go through our states process. For some reason individual store screw it up or don't do it . It seems to coincide with new management.
Ive heard you cant phiscally go and do what need to be done, mail in only.
I have no idea of how accurate this info is being as its source was a Walmart employee..

Its somthing you would think corporate would handle and not a store manager.

Walmart definitely sells ammo in MA
It can get complicated. For my last Mass dealer license renewal, the PD did a full set of prints and a picture. Probably the same for ammo and gunsmithing. I can see how Walmart can have a problem. Jack.

FYI:

EVERY FFL (and probably state license issued by local chief) MUST have the name of the PERSON RESPONSIBLE (store manager, department manager, etc.) on the license.

IF/WHEN the named person leaves that store, the FFL/License is NULL AND VOID. The next person must then file for a new/changed FFL/License and NO SALES are allowed until that new FFL/License is issued. Takes months!

This could well be the problem at many Wal-Marts, as turnover of help is probably reasonably high.
This is very much the case as one of the Wal-Marts near me that one of my friends works at had this issue. At the same time to the OP, a lot of Walmarts that have other ongoing issues such as higher crime levels don't always sell them. Neither the Chicopee Walmart or the Springfield have sold ammo as far as I can remember. But yet, the Hadley and Ware Walmarts both sell it.

Back
Top Bottom