walther p22?

I've read a lot of reviews I'm thinking its at 65/35 yay and nay. I know "or atleast have read" its picky with ammo or ftf/fte alott, also slide issues etc, the other factor is a lot of the reviews are old like 4 or 5 years old or more! Which makes me think some of the issues must have been adressed by now anyone who has one please share your story wich this firearm. I love .22's cheap to shoot etc I have a colt challenger that I absolutely love so much fun

I've got a new P22, the new ones don't have the built in trigger lock, and i believe they only come in black now..... I've fed mine cheap walmart federal bulk with no problems....

Anything high velocity should be fine, i try to stick with CCI stingers.... i had an FTE that got caught up and scratched the inside of the slide up a bit....

It's not terribly accurate, or maybe i'm not accurate with it (3" barrel version) but it is fun and cheap to shoot...

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

Cool I found somewhere that makes a pressure booster for the p22 that increases the blow back pressure in lower velocity ammo so I don't know I guees buy gun buy assortment of ammo and run with what works best I suppose but thanks for insight

Not sure where you are (using tapatalk cuts a lot of info out) but if you're near south eastern MA i'll let you try mine out....

From my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I've seen a couple at my range recently. I was mostly focused on my own shooting but I didn't notice these fellows having any problems. My fiance is interested in getting one once her license comes in.

I have had mine, since Feb. New, but it has the trigger lock. I just use the CCI ammo with it, and it shoots just fine so far. I only get to the range about twice a month and take it with me every time.

I used to have one, sold it about a year ago. Besides being picky on ammo, I never had any issues. I'll probably pick up another one eventually.....

i don't know what else (besides the trigger lock) they changed, but i do remember reading older posts online about problems people have... haven't really had any problems.....

after 850 round through it (440 stinger, 50 velocitor, 30 remington gold, 40 fed lightning, 290 fed bulk)
i've had 8 FTF, 3 FTE with federal bulk
2 FTF and 2 FTE with stingers

(i've been keeping track simply because i read about so many problems...)

I have one that is about 2 years old. It has the 5" extended barrel. It is finicky about ammo, but, high velocity stuff functions well. I don't use it a lot, It's more for the bug out bag. Shooting 22's is cheaper than drinking beer and it doesn't make you fart quite so much either.

I've had one for about five years and I like it. It doesn't like lead ammo, so I use at least copper washed ammo, but copper plated is better. It's not tremendously accurate with the 3" barrel, but is very good with the 5" barrel. I haven't had the durability problems that others have complained about.

I have one that my kids shoot occasionally. Works fine with good ammo (CCI) but the American Eagle bulk pack stuff doesn't always cycle the slide completely.

It's physically very small. It fits my 11 year old's hands just about perfectly. If your hands are much bigger than that you'll probably find it too small.

I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one....

I love mine. I have over 1000 rounds through it with no problems. It doesn't like Federal bulk pack but every other brand of high velocity ammo has worked flawlessly.

I have had mine since they came out. A few friends and I have a .22 night once a week so it gets used quite often. Probably has seen a couple thousand rounds though it. Any high velocity ammo works well. I have had quite a few ftf but you will get that with any .22 and bulk ammo. For the money its a fun little gun and have no regrets.

I've had mine for about 4 or 5 years as well. I've put thousands upon thousands of rounds through mine. It's ran on everything that I put through it...and hardly had any problems. I also did an experiment with mine because people said that it was so finiky. I said I wasn't going to clean it until it stopped working. I was only using cheap-o .22 from Walmart...I think that it was around 12-15 buck for 500 rounds. I think that I went just about a year shooting about a 200 rounds or more rounds through it every other Saturday before it starting acting up. I just cleaned it and it was back to running like it did.

I do know that LenS had one that he had nothing but issues...so I guess it depends on when it was made. But all I can say is that mine runs damn good.

i had one for a while. the only problem i had was it wasnt very accurate. no matter which front sight we used it just didnt help. this gun had the short barrel on it so that was probably part of the accuracy problem. out to about 15 yards or less it was fairly accurate but nothing spectacular. mine shot a steady diet of the federal bulk packs and i didnt have any ftf or fte with that brand. i finally traded it in on a smith 22A. love the smith. fun shooter.

bob

Do new ones still use a zinc-alloy slide? If so I would pass on it. Too many issues with galling.

When the slide cracks in half you just send it in to S&W and get a new one. It takes over 20,000 rounds or so before that happens. (No, I'm not kidding).

There are plenty of reasons to pass on the P22, but that really isn't one of them. The biggest problem I have with the gun is that the grip was designed for like a 5 year old with premature baby midget hands. It sucks.

-Mike

When the slide cracks in half you just send it in to S&W and get a new one. It takes over 20,000 rounds or so before that happens. (No, I'm not kidding).

There are plenty of reasons to pass on the P22, but that really isn't one of them. The biggest problem I have with the gun is that the grip was designed for like a 5 year old with premature baby midget hands. It sucks.

-Mike

Ok Mike, I have to say that line is almost signature line worthy![laugh2]

-Mike

That being said, it is the perfect first pistol for my daughter. Also, I run federal bulk through it and it runs flawlessly. I find federal to be the best bulk "milk carton" .22 ammo.

This thread is helpful. My 13 YO is jonesing for one like there's no tomorrow. Sounds like it is a good fit for younger paws, and can be used (somewhat) reliably.

That being said, it is the perfect first pistol for my daughter. Also, I run federal bulk through it and it runs flawlessly. I find federal to be the best bulk "milk carton" .22 ammo.

Yes, if you get one that works I would agree it's a good pistol to train kids to shoot with.

-Mike

I got one and I like it, i've put about 200 rounds through it with one stovepipe and one jam.. 2 jams out of 200 ain't too horrible I like it for a .22 plinker

I use mine to teach new shooters basics : Safe handling , operation of a semi auto and lots & lots of Tap & Rack practice.

... and I am on my second slide. S&W repaired ( replaced it ) it for free. 20,000 rounds sounds like a lot until you think of it as 40 boxes of 500. It took me a bit under two years.

Back
Top Bottom