• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Walther P99QA or P99AS

I am looking in to getting my first pistol and I was wondering if someone could explain the difference in the triggers between the Walther P99QA and the P99AS?

DownWind Outdoors

I believe the AS version is the DA/SA version and the QA is the DA only (much like a Glock). They both have the decocker button on top of the slide to disengage the striker (so you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip).

AS - is a traditional double action with a decocker. The single action trigger is one of the nicest I have used and has a very short reset.
QA is similar to Glock. However, the decocker button is made smaller because if you were to press it, the gun would be decocked, and you would need to rack the slide to be able to fire. This button remains there only to allow disassembly without pulling the trigger.

The AS trigger is DA/SA. It is called Anti-Stress (AS) because there are two SA pulls - long and short. The long pull SA pull is much easier than the DA pull and is supposed to reduce the change of and accidental discharge in a stress situation. The trigger will "Stick" in the short pull state by pulling it that position and releasing or by resetting it to that position after a shot. I'm told the trigger reset is very similar in feel to a 1911. All of this takes some getting used to, but it is not as complicated as it sounds. The QA trigger is much simpler. Personally, I like the AS features but your mileage might vary.

I had an AS version for a while and liked it a lot. I've heard horror stories about the .40 versions having problems with frames cracking so I'd probably go with the 9mm if I was buying another.

I have a sw99c AS in .40 and love it.
Trigger pull in single action mode feels great and you just decock it for carry.
First shot is a long, heavy DA pull, all followups are single action.
Pistol is accurate and reset is very short.
Haven't fired a QA model, but I handled one in a shop while deciding on which model and it was no contest in favor of the AS.
The .40 is pretty snappy since all the weight is up top but I have no complaints and love shooting it.

I actually got it as my 1st handgun. I wasnt trilled about my p99 and sold it very quickly. no regrets.
I got Beretta FS92 instead and love it.

The QA has this gay button on the top of it that turns your gun into a paperweight once it is depressed. Avoid it. (When you "decock" the QA , it disables the striker/trigger. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the button is far too easy to press, IMO. )

-Mike

I was told, The QA version is not MA-compliant even though it's on the approved list because of the trigger weight.

Handgun compliance doesn't matter to buyers. I can find a QA in MA probably in 2 hours or less. It's not worth buying anyways.

-Mike

I have a few AS and just bought a QA recently for $440 (including transfer cost). I took the QA to the range today and compared it to the AS. I can say accuracy from QA is definitely on par with AS and I actually liked the consistency of each trigger pull. Mike has a good point about the gay button. IMO it's not likely that you depress the decocker while the gun is holstered but why take a chance.

Waltherforums.com had this discussion many times over, polls usually favored AS two to one.

My vote is the PPS, because I have one for sale.

I'd buy a PPS in a heartbeat if it comes with an AS trigger. Kahr PM9 would be a better CCW though.

Looking at the picture of your PPS, I couldn't help but wonder why would someone molest a perfectly good stock frame like that.

Back
Top Bottom