Want to buy manual transmission sports car before they're gone

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
*Caterham 7* Shipping is probably too expensive and you might have to go the "kit car" route to get around any track use only regulations and it's a just a two seater.
But its what defines a "sports car"

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the only way I wold own an Audi is if it had a bumper to bumper warranty for the entire time I owned it.

They are highly proprietary cars IMHO, almost everything you do to the car requires a trip to the dealer for some system reset.

Great cars, just too expensive to upkeep

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the only way I wold own an Audi is if it had a bumper to bumper warranty for the entire time I owned it.

They are highly proprietary cars IMHO, almost everything you do to the car requires a trip to the dealer for some system reset.

Great cars, just too expensive to upkeep
So true but they are so lux

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol no, you wouldn't.... maintenance nightmare shit. Alfa, Jag, Maserati, etc, all f***ing junk. Even Dodge is going to have better service life than that junk.
Its pretty tough to beat a cummins 6.7.....even if its attached to a dodge

the v8 diesels attached to Ford/Chevy are meh.......nothing like an inline 6.....in a sports car OR a truck

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Honestly, for an Eastern European sports sedan I think an A8L is a sleeper ride and you did want four doors, not four doors and 2 seats like my B5 S4 (No, there’s no room in my back seat). Maybe a 2018 or so. Ever since I watched Ronin I wanted an S8.

View attachment 388126
You have a B5 S4? Wow. When I used to do track days I would go with two buddies who had those. One put his up to like 500 hp before it went belly up. Yeah I love the S8 in Ronin and think it was a manual.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My understanding is that manual transmissions aren’t going away because they help the mpg ratings.

I know it’s silly. Because manual transmissions aren’t meant for mpg , they’re meant for reving the shit out of an engine and having fun.
Actually the opposite is true today: modern automatics are both quicker and get better gas mileage than their manual counterparts.

Now that I have a giant naturally aspirated V8, I find that there is not much opportunity to use the 485hp. Its tons of fun, but I really want a convertible next... either a naturally aspirated 6cyl porsche (used) or build a factory five cobra with a 5.0 mustang donor.

I tend to keep cars a while, so I have time to think it over. Some great recommendations here!

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've always wanted an S8 but pretty even Audi friends tell me that the A8/S8 make things like the A4/S4/TTS/TTRS look like reliable cars in comparison, and as soon as I hear that, I shudder a little bit.... [laugh]
If you can afford an S8 at $130k, I'm sure the cost of maintenance isn't really that much of a concern.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol you don't get engine braking in newer autos? Could have fooled me. Then again I dont know how the box in the mustang works.
My 2016 Caddy XTS has HORRIBLE engine braking. Every other manual selectable auto that Ive ever driven was great for engine braking. Its so bad in the Caddy that I never even use it, and I would use it all the time in my other cars and vans.

darrowj

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have family living in Sicily. For the first time in my life I had the opportunity to visit them a couple years ago. I rented a car. During that process I found that my only options were cars with a manual transmission. It had been two decades since I drove a manual transmission. My wife was a bit nervous to say the least. The airport parking lot was fine. Then came the Sicilian drivers and rotary a half a mile down the road. I was sweating by the time we got to the hotel. It was really bad. The second day was better. :)

Ended up driving a ALFA ROMEO GIULIA on that trip. I liked it.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have family living in Sicily. For the first time in my life I had the opportunity to visit them a couple years ago. I rented a car. During that process I found that my only options were cars with a manual transmission. It had been two decades since I drove a manual transmission. My wife was a bit nervous to say the least. The airport parking lot was fine. Then came the Sicilian drivers and rotary a half a mile down the road. I was sweating by the time we got to the hotel. It was really bad. The second day was better. :)

Ended up driving a ALFA ROMEO GIULIA on that trip. I liked it.
True, the few rentals I've had in Europe were all sticks. Fun, except wasn't a fan of the diesel Ford Mondeo in Germany. I did still get it to 130mph on the Autobahn though[grin]

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've always wanted an S8 but pretty even Audi friends tell me that the A8/S8 make things like the A4/S4/TTS/TTRS look like reliable cars in comparison, and as soon as I hear that, I shudder a little bit.... [laugh]
That shudder is due to the worm hole that forms inside your wallet that is preparing to suck every penny out of your bank acct to maintain that Audi.........

That car is a more effective hole to throw money into than a bitter ex wife getting alimony and child support for half a dozen rug rats

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, there's Camaro, Mustang and Challenger (that's the only Dodge that's still manual I think). I think the Camaro looks the best but hear the visibility sucks, and I suck at parking lol.
I've owned all 3 muscle cars now. Here's my 2 cents:
Mustang (I had a convertible GT) - It does sound very nice going down the road especially with the top down. What I didn't like is that the interior felt very small inside and to be honest a bit on the cheap side. It wasn't worth it for all the cheap plastic inside. This was about 8 years now so maybe things are different but to be honest it was the car I owned the least and couldn't wait to ditch it.

Challenger (I had the SRT/8 one) - It doesn't sound as nice at low speed but get that hemi going in the rev range and it sounds awesome. Probably the best of all 3 muscle cars. I loved the muscle car looks. It doesn't handle as good as a mustang or camaro, but inside it's spacious and of all 3 muscle cars I still feel it looks the best with the retro styling, although by 2020 standards it needs a serious refresh.

Camaro (I currently have the 2018 1/SS model). What I like about it. It sounds awesome. Chevrolet did a really good job tuning the exhaust. So much so that I feel that adding a magnaflow/borla/etc is unnecessary. It handles like my corvette. It's really impressive and sometimes I do love taking this for a long 'spirited driving' session when I just want to be left alone. But you definitely nailed it's weak spot, visibility and that goes in both directions. I've scraped the front spoiler a few times now parking because judging the front of the car is difficult with all of the angles to the front spoiler. Back up isn't bad because the rear view camera has the lines that show where to go with the red and yellow markings for when backing up gets too close.

If I had to take a long road trip and could only pick one I would probably pick the Challenger
If I wanted to go and do spirited driving runs on the weekends carving corners I would pick the Camaro.
If I wanted to take a leisurely cruise with the top down I would pick the Mustang. The mustang to me was kind of like the C6 grand sport corvette was, a great day tripping car although I think I would take the C6 on a long road trip.

So it depends on what you want to do.

A couple of other alternatives for you to consider:

BMW z-series, especially the zM series
Honda S2000
Maserati Cambiocorsa (can be had for dirt cheap these days and has gears to row)
Audi TT(?)
Porsche(?)

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
I've never bought a vehicle that didn't have a clutch. And I have to say, its getting harder and harder to do so.

One of the issues is the EPA. They require misfire detection in the OBDII standard. With a manual, it is harder to detect. Since most vehicles are sold as an automatic, many manufacturers simply dropped the manual and the misfire problems.

After that move didn't do much in reducing sales and just created some grumbling from a "fringe" market, more and more makers are dropping the manual. Even the high end sports cars are doing the dual-clutch because it's an automatic that people can justify. (Well, it shifts faster than any human can) This allows the rich jerks to have their high end sports cars and actually be able to drive them without leaving a trail of burning clutch.

Only time I drove a manual in a rental was in the UK. Biggest problem was the shifter being on the left. That really took some practice.

Right now, if I had to buy a vehicle (and yes, I know its not a sports car) I'd be looking at the Bronco. I really hope Ford did that vehicle right and they extend the offering of the manual to the 2.7 liter v6.

My current vehicle is a 2009 Volvo C30 (built when Ford owned Volvo and many many parts have ford markings) and it has been an absolute pleasure to own.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
No.

My 08 Mustang is an auto. For about 5 seconds a drive, I wish it was a std. The rest of the time, I'm glad it's automatic. I'm there to enjoy the RIDE, not pretend I'm playing Spyhunter.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Don't think that's true anymore, and they're dropping like flies. BMW dropped them from all but an M car or two. Hyundai and Mazda are dropping manuals from some models. Don't think Porsche GT cars come in manual anymore. :(
The fact that Acura no longer has any vehicle with an MT is the first sign of the Apocalypse.

DaveL.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that a 993? I'd love one but crazy expensive. I think a 997 is the best compromise between old school feel and price. A lot more were sold so don't think it's 993 money.

I believe that's a 930.

After 3 pages, anyone else lost on desired specs for this car outside of manual transmission? Can we get a summary...

If it were my coin, I'd be buying the likes of a 69 or 70 Mustang Mach 1 with a 351 4 barrel. Iconic car, sounds awesome, manual transmission and if you get sick of it in a couple years you can most likely sell it for around what you paid for it. Great driving condition examples can be had in the $30k-40k range.

dw617

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not sure what I am doing to do when it's time to replace my E46 BMW. 220k miles, mechanically 100% but in the next 2-3 years some rust issues will pop up. There are a few bubbles in the common problem spots now. I'd love to find an E46 330i wagon with a 6speed MT. The E46 BMW is the best 3 series ever made, prove me wrong.

Top Bottom