wanting to apply for the RI non- resident LTC

carny2k

NES Member
Not sure if this is the right forum for this please move or delete if not allowed.
Also i'm not the brightest bulb in the world but i searched the forum a bit to try and find a similar thread but everyone i found was rather old and im sure things change. recently got my Mass LTC in attleboro and i'm looking for green towns in Rhode Island to apply for my non resident LTC because im am so close to the border and i work all over the state as an electrician. any help with recent personal success stories or threads or other sites for reference would be great. thank you

Last edited:
There is a RI equivalent to GOAL. Look in the RI Laws or orgs forum for info and read what you can on their forum

It's possible. I've run a few people thru the qualification and they received RI licenses.

There is a RI equivalent to GOAL. Look in the RI Laws or orgs forum for info and read what you can on their forum

It's possible. I've run a few people thru the qualification and they received RI licenses.
thank you. i know it's possible but i also know some towns are easier then others.

i looked in the RI laws forum but same as here all old threads. i was hoping to find some newer instances

ill have to see if i can find the RI version of GOAL

thank you. i know it's possible but i also know some towns are easier then others.

i looked in the RI laws forum but same as here all old threads. i was hoping to find some newer instances

ill have to see if i can find the RI version of GOAL
I have posted this before. I was successful through Narragansett two years ago but I own a house there and I have my C&R license. I think the C&R helped a lot. PM me if you want more details. This is the link to the RI firearms owners league. Rhode Island Firearm Owners' League

I have posted this before. I was successful through Narragansett two years ago but I own a house there and I have my C&R license. I think the C&R helped a lot. PM me if you want more details. This is the link to the RI firearms owners league. Rhode Island Firearm Owners' League

thanks i'll message you probably tomorrow about it.

Ah yeah i have been to the RIFOL site and while it does post a lot of info most of the ccw stuff is out dated and the registration page to their forums is all messed up.

There are basically two ways to get a RI non-res, via the AG’s office or from a town. The AG’s office will not happen unless you’re super connected so for just about everyone else, you have to apply at an individual town.

Some towns are like red towns in MA. don’t waste your time in The Bucket for example. I got mine in Johnston and am reapplying now. They don’t renew, every time it’s a new application. Some of the friendlier towns are East Greenwich, Cranston & Johnston. Unfortunately they’re all swamped.

East Greenwich operates on a shall issue basis for nonresidents but they’re only taking 20 applications per month. You need to call and leave a message on one specific day of the month at 9am and if you’re in the first 20 you’ll get it no problem. But there are like 500 people calling in at the same time so good luck w that.

My RI is expiring in January. I called Johnston last week (That’s where I got my original one) and they told me to come in person to get the application, they won’t mail/email it. There’s also a $300 processing fee. But when I went to pick up the application I had a nice conversation w the issuing officer who said they’re doing their best and that there’s 4-8week turnaround.

Wherever you go in RI you need 1. Three letters of recommendation which need to be notarized and 2. You need to do a qualifying shoot which is at 25 yards on an Army “L” target, slow shoot. You have to shoot 30 rounds in a max of 30 mins and
Score a minimum of 195 out of a possible 300 so you have to average 6 points per shot out of ten. You have to shoot at least the caliber you’re going to carry or larger. Most people go w .45ACP so they can carry anything smaller than that. Some do the cal they’re going to carry. Still not sure if 9mm will allow you to carry 38 or .357. Any NRA certified instructor can certify your qual. American firearms in North Attleboro will certify the qual for you for $50 (Members get one free qual per year). And Joe or Christian at AFS can assist you w the applications, which towns are friendly/available, etc.

And you need to provide a rationale, “all lawful purposes” won’t cut it. If you say you regularly carry in MA and drive in RI frequently that usually works. If you own a business or do business in RI it helps.

It’s a bit of a pain but by no means impossible, select towns tend to Operate shall issue for nonresidents. It’s a whole lot easier for nonresidents w an existing LTC to get a RI nonresident than it is for a RI
res to get a license.

Good luck

There are basically two ways to get a RI non-res, via the AG’s office or from a town. The AG’s office will not happen unless you’re super connected so for just about everyone else, you have to apply at an individual town.

Some towns are like red towns in MA. don’t waste your time in The Bucket for example. I got mine in Johnston and am reapplying now. They don’t renew, every time it’s a new application. Some of the friendlier towns are East Greenwich, Cranston & Johnston. Unfortunately they’re all swamped.

East Greenwich operates on a shall issue basis for nonresidents but they’re only taking 20 applications per month. You need to call and leave a message on one specific day of the month at 9am and if you’re in the first 20 you’ll get it no problem. But there are like 500 people calling in at the same time so good luck w that.

My RI is expiring in January. I called Johnston last week (That’s where I got my original one) and they told me to come in person to get the application, they won’t mail/email it. There’s also a $300 processing fee. But when I went to pick up the application I had a nice conversation w the issuing officer who said they’re doing their best and that there’s 4-8week turnaround.

Wherever you go in RI you need 1. Three letters of recommendation which need to be notarized and 2. You need to do a qualifying shoot which is at 25 yards on an Army “L” target, slow shoot. You have to shoot 30 rounds in a max of 30 mins and
Score a minimum of 195 out of a possible 300 so you have to average 6 points per shot out of ten. You have to shoot at least the caliber you’re going to carry or larger. Most people go w .45ACP so they can carry anything smaller than that. Some do the cal they’re going to carry. Still not sure if 9mm will allow you to carry 38 or .357. Any NRA certified instructor can certify your qual. American firearms in North Attleboro will certify the qual for you for $50 (Members get one free qual per year). And Joe or Christian at AFS can assist you w the applications, which towns are friendly/available, etc.

And you need to provide a rationale, “all lawful purposes” won’t cut it. If you say you regularly carry in MA and drive in RI frequently that usually works. If you own a business or do business in RI it helps.

It’s a bit of a pain but by no means impossible, select towns tend to Operate shall issue for nonresidents. It’s a whole lot easier for nonresidents w an existing LTC to get a RI nonresident than it is for a RI
res to get a license.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Funny you say that. I actually attempted the eg lottery last month for the first attempt.(missed of course) and yesterday I stopped at the johnston pd and grabbed there application. Those are the 2 town I've also heard are green i wasnt sure if there were others like cranston. Ive also jeard foster and burriville mentioned but not aure.

The shooting right now is probably the Achilles heel just because I don't have any range time with my 45 yet. But that will come.

I'm a union electrician in rhode island so all of my work is in the state so from what your saying that should suffice.

I appreciate the post for help

Last edited:
I applied for my non resident license in Westerly since I have a second home there. It was very similar to the process in MA. I honestly didn't have any problems with RI.

Once you go to RI to apply, you will have to quarantine for 14 days when returning to MA.
I
I work there everyday.
The MA regulations say that if you don’t sleep overnight in RI, or any other high covid risk state, you don’t have to quarantine.

Look under the regulations for dropping kids off at college in a high risk state.

11. I am dropping my child off at college in another state that is not considered lower risk. Do I need to quarantine when I come home?

• It depends. If a parent/guardian/family member is entering a non-lower-risk state only to drop off the student and then immediately leaves the campus and the state, then they would meet the exemption of transitory travel. If they are staying overnight, then they are subject to the quarantine requirement upon return or must meet the testing rule.

There’s also stuff about critical infrastructure workers that might apply.

@1776 just don’t sleep over in RI and you’re OK!

I

The MA regulations say that if you don’t sleep overnight in RI, or any other high covid risk state, you don’t have to quarantine.

Look under the regulations for dropping kids off at college in a high risk state.

11. I am dropping my child off at college in another state that is not considered lower risk. Do I need to quarantine when I come home?

• It depends. If a parent/guardian/family member is entering a non-lower-risk state only to drop off the student and then immediately leaves the campus and the state, then they would meet the exemption of transitory travel. If they are staying overnight, then they are subject to the quarantine requirement upon return or must meet the testing rule.

There’s also stuff about critical infrastructure workers that might apply.

@1776 just don’t sleep over in RI and you’re OK!

Yeah we went through this at my hall. I can come here to work. Being an electrician I work all over the state

Last edited:
Does RI still have those hotels that you can rent by the hour? [laugh2]

Motels, but yes. ;)

I personally know a very prominent firearms attorney who has 50 cal (or similar) printed on his R.I. non-res license. He borrowed my S&W 500 Mag for his "qualification".

Eddie Coyle supplied the bullets and I created a light target load. He scored exceptionally well on the Army-L target. (not hard) [grin]

Last edited:
to piggy back off this post. any of you ever go through EG? i got the call today for the interview and i have a couple questions

to piggy back off this post. any of you ever go through EG? i got the call today for the interview and i have a couple questions

I have never heard of anyone who got it going through the AG. Perhaps if you’re connected but most people go through towns for non-res since they act on more of a shall issue basis than the AG

Golly, I never knew I was super connected.
have never heard of anyone who got it going through the AG. Perhaps if you’re connected but most people go through towns for non-res since they act on more of a shall issue basis than the AG
That is no longer true.
I personally know a very prominent firearms attorney who has 50 cal (or similar) printed on his R.I. non-res license. He borrowed my S&W 500 Mag for his "qualification".
I was there the day he did his qual. He has one up on me since I am limited to 45 cal or smaller. (it's "or smaller", not "or similar")

I can do qualifications on weekends in Hopkinton if you are a Comm2A donor. The amount doesn't matter; even a $10 check to Comm2a or your word that you donated will suffice. I have an ample supply of the Army-L targets. Outdoors only; 25 yards; you get two tries before I get bored and conclude I am wasting my time [crying]

Golly, I never knew I was super connected.

That is no longer true.

I was there the day he did his qual. He has one up on me since I am limited to 45 cal or smaller. (it's "or smaller", not "or similar")

Awesome. It’s great that the AG is now also operating on a shall issue basis. It will alleviate the burden on the town PDs.

Awesome. It’s great that the AG is now also operating on a shall issue basis. It will alleviate the burden on the town PDs.

If memory serves a C&R is considered a “proper“ reason for the permit in RI.

I have been back and forth about getting an RI permit. I usually stay in a state campground when we go and firearms aren’t permitted. If I start spending more time there I will apply.

Good luck to the OP. Please keep us posted.

Bob

If memory serves a C&R is considered a “proper“ reason for the permit in RI.

I have been back and forth about getting an RI permit. I usually stay in a state campground when we go and firearms aren’t permitted. If I start spending more time there I will apply.

Good luck to the OP. Please keep us posted.

Bob

Interesting re the C&R. There are a few towns where simply having an out of state LTC is sufficient. Johnston, Cranston & E Greenwich come to mind although EG is limiting the number of applications they're taking, but if you get one in you’ll most likely get approved. There are a few other towns but don’t recall them right now. I’m in the process of renewing w Johnston right now and they couldn’t be more accommodating (technically I’m applying for a new one because they don’t actually renew but the fact that I still have an active one from them isn’t hurting the process)

I never said it was "shall issue" - far from it.

Things might have been a bit different back in 1992 when I got my first RI one. Plus, I did have a justification that one cannot just fabricate from thin air.

Last edited:
I can do qualifications on weekends in Hopkinton if you are a Comm2A donor. The amount doesn't matter; even a $10 check to Comm2a or your word that you donated will suffice. I have an ample supply of the Army-L targets. Outdoors only; 25 yards; you get two tries before I get bored and conclude I am wasting my time [crying]

Safe to assume there are no rules around what type of .45 I can use? Revolver, optic, etc? Been mostly shooting/carrying my 9mm's, need to get out and do a dry run with the gun I am going to use to qualify.

Haven't read the application in RI in years since I lived there, forgot about needing 3 reference letters. Is there any guidance on what needs to be in them?

Safe to assume there are no rules around what type of .45 I can use? Revolver, optic, etc? Been mostly shooting/carrying my 9mm's, need to get out and do a dry run with the gun I am going to use to qualify.
I believe it has to be a handgun; no regs as to shooting stance; optics; etc. The RI test is easy enough that if you can't pass it you should seriously consider more training and practice. As an independently administered test, there is no "ding" on your record for failing, and no time limit before you can try again.

When I give the test, I let the person check their hits after a mag or cylinder full to see if it is worth continuing, or if they need to do a bit of work to get their weapon sighted in first.

Last edited:
I have never heard of anyone who got it going through the AG. Perhaps if you’re connected but most people go through towns for non-res since they act on more of a shall issue basis than the AG
EG meaning east greenwich

where in hopkinton? i am currently working down there. its fun getting called names and flipped off daily going to work

Back
Top Bottom