• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wanting to apply for the RI non- resident LTC

EG meaning east greenwich

Yes. EG = East Greenwich. AG = Attorney General’s office.

EG was the go to town a few mos ago but got so busy they went to a phone lottery. You have to call at 9am on one particular day of the month, first 20 get a call back and will get processed on Shall Issue basis.

Johnston also swamped but no phone call lottery.

Cranston is another friendly town.

EG was the go to town a few mos ago but got so busy they went to a phone lottery. You have to call at 9am on one particular day of the month, first 20 get a call back and will get processed on Shall Issue basis.

I got the interview for EG in October. Just curious on if i should proceed there or go Johnston route was hoping for some recent success stories to hear about time frames and maybe ideas on reasons for the chief. EG is cheaper, and the application is a lot easier. doesn't need notarized references like Johnston. and i haven't looked into Cranston

I got the interview for EG in October. Just curious on if i should proceed there or go Johnston route was hoping for some recent success stories to hear about time frames and maybe ideas on reasons for the chief. EG is cheaper, and the application is a lot easier. doesn't need notarized references like Johnston. and i haven't looked into Cranston

If you got an interview in EG for October stick w that. The hard part w EG is getting the appointment, otherwise it’s probably the easier she

Only reason I’m going back to Johnston is because I couldn’t get in to EG for October and the money doesn’t bother me. I called Johnston since that’s wheee my current one is from and they were very helpful. I’m also not in a hurry since I have some time left on mine.

If you got an interview in EG for October stick w that. The hard part w EG is getting the appointment, otherwise it’s probably the easier she

Only reason I’m going back to Johnston is because I couldn’t get in to EG for October and the money doesn’t bother me. I called Johnston since that’s wheee my current one is from and they were very helpful. I’m also not in a hurry since I have some time left on mine.

cool. yeah i got lucky Tuesday with the call in. money wasn't a big deal for me either if i didn't get the interview this time i would have went Johnston too. it is however another bonus

Last edited:
There are basically two ways to get a RI non-res, via the AG’s office or from a town. The AG’s office will not happen unless you’re super connected so for just about everyone else, you have to apply at an individual town.

Some towns are like red towns in MA. don’t waste your time in The Bucket for example. I got mine in Johnston and am reapplying now. They don’t renew, every time it’s a new application. Some of the friendlier towns are East Greenwich, Cranston & Johnston. Unfortunately they’re all swamped.

East Greenwich operates on a shall issue basis for nonresidents but they’re only taking 20 applications per month. You need to call and leave a message on one specific day of the month at 9am and if you’re in the first 20 you’ll get it no problem. But there are like 500 people calling in at the same time so good luck w that.

My RI is expiring in January. I called Johnston last week (That’s where I got my original one) and they told me to come in person to get the application, they won’t mail/email it. There’s also a $300 processing fee. But when I went to pick up the application I had a nice conversation w the issuing officer who said they’re doing their best and that there’s 4-8week turnaround.

Wherever you go in RI you need 1. Three letters of recommendation which need to be notarized and 2. You need to do a qualifying shoot which is at 25 yards on an Army “L” target, slow shoot. You have to shoot 30 rounds in a max of 30 mins and
Score a minimum of 195 out of a possible 300 so you have to average 6 points per shot out of ten. You have to shoot at least the caliber you’re going to carry or larger. Most people go w .45ACP so they can carry anything smaller than that. Some do the cal they’re going to carry. Still not sure if 9mm will allow you to carry 38 or .357. Any NRA certified instructor can certify your qual. American firearms in North Attleboro will certify the qual for you for $50 (Members get one free qual per year). And Joe or Christian at AFS can assist you w the applications, which towns are friendly/available, etc.

And you need to provide a rationale, “all lawful purposes” won’t cut it. If you say you regularly carry in MA and drive in RI frequently that usually works. If you own a business or do business in RI it helps.

It’s a bit of a pain but by no means impossible, select towns tend to Operate shall issue for nonresidents. It’s a whole lot easier for nonresidents w an existing LTC to get a RI nonresident than it is for a RI
res to get a license.

Good luck

Let me add a couple things to this well done post:

Start by !ooking up and reading the Mosby and Gadomski cases from the RI Supreme Court.

Get an 03 FFL if you don't already have one.

Go to East Greenwich PD and pick up application form. It will include the business card of the lady in charge of processing applications. She is very helpful, as much as she can be under the circumstances.

Fill out application. Note that EG does NOT required letters of recommendation, only names and contact info for three references. One of mine was called on the phone; don't actually know about the other two.

Application calls for a letter from you to Chief setting forth your "need." Write a letter describing you "other valid reasons," do not attempt to define "need," which has no application to permits under section 11.

You will (unless things have changed recently) have to play the phone lottery game; persistence will eventually pay off.

If you get an appointment, the lady will review application and attachments, roll prints, and take photo. Assuming no negative history, you'll get a phone call 4-8 weeks later to come in and pick up permit and pay $40. FWIW, my permit says "all lawful purposes."

Start by !ooking up and reading the Mosby and Gadomski cases from the RI Supreme Court.

Go to East Greenwich PD and pick up application form. It will include the business card of the lady in charge of processing applications. She is very helpful, as much as she can be under the circumstances.

Fill out application. Note that EG does NOT required letters of recommendation, only names and contact info for three references. One of mine was called on the phone; don't actually know about the other two.

Application calls for a letter from you to Chief setting forth your "need." Write a letter describing you "other valid reasons," do not attempt to define "need," which has no application to permits under section 11.

You will (unless things have changed recently) have to play the phone lottery game; persistence will eventually pay off.

If you get an appointment, the lady will review application and attachments, roll prints, and take photo. Assuming no negative history, you'll get a phone call 4-8 weeks later to come in and pick up permit and pay $40. FWIW, my permit says "all lawful purposes."

thanks. i won the phone lottery and got an interview for EG my only things i dont have done yet is the qualification and the letter of need. the letter of need is my biggest concern because i am terrible at things like that. so i am contemplating hiring someone to write it. a lawyer maybe?

One curious thing about the RI AG permit - making a photocopy or taking a picture of it is grounds for revocation - warning printed right on the back of the license.

thanks. i won the phone lottery and got an interview for EG my only things i dont have done yet is the qualification and the letter of need. the letter of need is my biggest concern because i am terrible at things like that. so i am contemplating hiring someone to write it. a lawyer maybe?

If you haven't already done so, check out the RIFOL forum. There's apparently someone there who has offered to help with those letters. Check out this thread to get contact info: The RIFOL forum • Login

The above link may only work if you're already a member there and logged in. But it's a link to a thread titled "Do you have problems writing your "letter of need"?

Frank

If you haven't already done so, check out the RIFOL forum. There's apparently someone there who has offered to help with those letters. Check out this thread to get contact info: The RIFOL forum • Login

The above link may only work if you're already a member there and logged in. But it's a link to a thread titled "Do you have problems writing your "letter of need"?

Frank

thanks for what ever reason i keep getting coding errors trying to register. its been like that for awhile and ive emailed the administrator so i cant register to that forum. but this is my biggest concern at the moment for applying

Just finished getting all my paperwork together & notarized, called Johnston PD and Lori said to mail it in. She was very kind and helpful. If this goes as smoothly as it did last time, it'll be worth the extra $300.

Just finished getting all my paperwork together & notarized, called Johnston PD and Lori said to mail it in. She was very kind and helpful. If this goes as smoothly as it did last time, it'll be worth the extra $300.

nice let me know how it goes. my EG interview isnt till october 22nd

Hey, @carny2k , drop me an email at the following email address, and I'll forward to you the name and contact info of the guy referenced over at the RIFOL who helps people with their statement of need. He was actually very helpful to me when I went through the process. I'll also forward to you a sample letter that I got from him. My email address is: [email protected]

Frank

Hey, @carny2k , drop me an email at the following email address, and I'll forward to you the name and contact info of the guy referenced over at the RIFOL who helps people with their statement of need. He was actually very helpful to me when I went through the process. I'll also forward to you a sample letter that I got from him. My email address is: [email protected]

Frank

I think the statement of need is more important for RI residents than for nonresidents. They’re treating nonresidents w home state LTCs mostly as shall issue. RI residents have to prove need.

My renewal application went to Johnston in yesterday's mail. This morning I got a nice voicemail from Lori letting me know it was received and is being processed.

If you go through the EG process and get fingerprints and photo taken, are you likely guaranteed to get your permit as long as federal comes back clean.

Also why does it take 8-12 weeks, I know someone who went through foster and got his in 5 days.

amount of applications? i did my EG interview 3 weeks ago and i was told roughly 90 days due to the backlog. i seen the pile of applications she slid mine under. there had to be 100 or more she said some go fast but others not so much. its only $40 there and no reference letters and it will be mailed to my house

amount of applications? i did my EG interview 3 weeks ago and i was told roughly 90 days due to the backlog. i seen the pile of applications she slid mine under. there had to be 100 or more she said some go fast but others not so much. its only $40 there and no reference letters and it will be mailed to my house
It’s been a little over 6 weeks for me, I’m hoping it comes by the 8th week. Any reason some go faster than others? Resident get priority I assume.

It’s been a little over 6 weeks for me, I’m hoping it comes by the 8th week. Any reason some go faster than others? Resident get priority I assume.

Actually it’s far easier for nonresidents to get a license than residents. The way they figure it, if you already have an LTC in your home state there’s little risk for them vs approving someone who doesn’t have an LTC.

Actually it’s far easier for nonresidents to get a license than residents. The way they figure it, if you already have an LTC in your home state there’s little risk for them vs approving someone who doesn’t have an LTC.
I have a CCW through New Hampshire but am a RI resident and went through the town of EG instead of my current town of EP who deny everyone. Any chance of getting declined? Haven’t heard of anyone not getting their CCW from EG.

I have a CCW through New Hampshire but am a RI resident and went through the town of EG instead of my current town of EP who deny everyone. Any chance of getting declined? Haven’t heard of anyone not getting their CCW from EG.

I have no idea how EG is processing things for RI residents. It was my understanding that RI residents either had to go through the town they live in or the AG’s office.

Just got a call yesterday from Johnston telling me they mailed my LTC. Considering all that is going on, not awful turnaround for something I submitted by mail in mid-September. No call, interview, etc. although I know they did try to contact one of my references about a month ago. Might also be because it's a renewal (even though they technically don't renew licenses, I imagine having gone through them before didn't hurt). Oh, and they told me to mail them the $40 check (I did submit the $300 processing fee check w/ the application, instructions say to bring the $40 check when you pick up). $300 worth every penny for the peace of mind & expedited service. They called me to let me know they received the application and also when they mailed it.

just got my packet from EG and they now "do" require, each reference must provide notarized reference letters.

Back
Top Bottom