War vet, home early, kills burglar

The Associated Press
Posted : Friday May 4, 2007 6:25:32 EDT

AUGUSTA, Ga. — A man authorities say had broken into an Army officer’s home to steal guns was shot to death by the Iraq war veteran, who had come home early.

Capt. Barre Bollinger told police he returned from work around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday and found his house had been ransacked, Richmond County sheriff’s investigator Thomas Johnson said.

Bollinger, who is stationed at Fort Gordon, entered his bedroom and noticed that guns were missing.

He grabbed his SKS rifle — a weapon similar to an AK47 assault rifle — and called 911, Johnson said.

“While on the phone with 911, he sees the suspect approaching his back door,” Johnson said. “Because he believes the man now is armed with his stolen weapons, Mr. Bollinger fires at him three times.”

Errol Lavar Royal, 29, was shot at least twice in the stomach area. He was later pronounced dead at Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

Royal lived with his parents near the home that was burglarized, police said. A search of his home turned up two guns taken from Bollinger’s house and marijuana, Johnson said.

Police had no immediate plans to charge Bollinger in the shooting.

If he'd done that here, he'd be calling Cross-X or Scrivener right about now... [angry] As it is, he deserves an award for cleaning up the neighborhood.

If you did that in boston they would take all your firearms away and say your the bad guy for shooting him. And you would see the Gov on TV saying so, its said we live in a state like Mass to were if you shot someone in your home you have to be worried about going to jail.

If this new one gun a month bill passes I my move to NH or get address up there so I can buy. Man this state is just sad over taxed lack of jobs shit roads becoming more and more like Engalnd lol

Good shoot.

Bad idea to mess with a guy that most likely has already personally dropped several others trying to kill him

And don't forget the obligatory "assault weapon" fearmongering. An SKS is similar to an AK 47 in that both are chambered for the same cartridge and little else. G-D newspaper butt-wipes........

Yeah, but note that they did not call the SKS and assault rifle, and they did call the AK an asault rifle. Amazingly factual and correct!

Good on him, I hope he doesn't get any flack from the family or neighborhood.

having to endure multiple acts of vandalism and such are different. I hope he doesn't have to endure that stuff.
What are you talking about?

The last man I would mess with (were I a vandal) is one who has proven more than once that he is willing to kill.

And don't forget the obligatory "assault weapon" fearmongering. An SKS is similar to an AK 47 in that both are chambered for the same cartridge and little else.
Well... they ARE both Soviet bloc weapons, so they do have that in common.

The last man I would mess with (were I a vandal) is one who has proven more than once that he is willing to kill.
That guy in Cincinnati (I think?) whose dealing with all his neighbors being pissed at him for dropping the 15-y-o thug armed with a pistol. I think he's been getting threats and such.

Like I said, not smart to threaten someone who has demostrated the willingness to kill in self defense.

[cheers] [cheers]

Good thing the scumbag missed the SKS when he took the other firearms.

Could have been coming back for another arm load. Bad timing in any case. With luck, he didn't have a chance to reproduce before he shuffled off this mortal coil. It's much better when they are eliminated before passing along the stupid gene.

True, but sadly we aren't exactly dealing with MENSA candidates here.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom