Washington Post settles $250M suit with Covington teen Nick Sandmann

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is great. I hope they all settle. It would be nice to know how much he is getting on each settlement.

I couldn't find the thread about this kid.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Good, the kid deserves it for the shit they put him through.
And it also sets a nice precedent. I hope more will sue. News stories like that can ruin a person's life.

Imagine if the kid didn't sue, and is applying to colleges, every college would Google his name and see that he is a radical/racist/Trump supporter that attacks Native Americans. Then later on when trying to get a job, HR will Google his name and see the same thing.

So, I hope others in similar situations will start suing.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sadly, the terms of most of these settlements have gag orders and shit attached to them, although I doubt he wants people to know how much cake he got, but still.... if the world knew, these shitty publications would have to cut back on their bullshit.
I will guess that on a $250M lawsuit, he got at a minimum $2-5M on the low end and $10-20M on the higher end. I hope I am way off and he got $100M.

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I will guess that on a $250M lawsuit, he got at a minimum $2-5M on the low end and $10-20M on the higher end. I hope I am way off and he got $100M.
This. And his legal team probably took most of that. But he cleared his name in a public way, likely did not go out of pocket, and exposed the BS of main stream media. That is priceless.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
This. And his legal team probably took most of that. But he cleared his name in a public way, likely did not go out of pocket, and exposed the BS of main stream media. That is priceless.
True - the legal team probably took most of that. But - the kid probably still walked away with a few mil in his pocket - and if the whole thing was settled for even half of the $250mil amount they wanted - then it means that the NYT is just that much poorer now. It also means that they're just that much more likely to win some of the other suits as well.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
And it also sets a nice precedent. I hope more will sue. News stories like that can ruin a person's life.

Imagine if the kid didn't sue, and is applying to colleges, every college would Google his name and see that he is a radical/racist/Trump supporter that attacks Native Americans. Then later on when trying to get a job, HR will Google his name and see the same thing.

So, I hope others in similar situations will start suing.
Given the crap going on in colleges these days - why bother to go in the first place?

Traditionally "college" was supposed to give you a "liberal" education that made you a more well rounded person and one who was educated in the finer things of the Western civilization that you lived in. That all started changing after WW2 when the GI bill shoved a whole bunch of people in to the system - and also shoved a bunch of government money into the system as well. Then college became something you went to - to get a better job. Even that didn't go full retard until maybe sometime in the mid 80's to 90's - that's when every parent started thinking "got to send my kid to college no matter what!!". And you also started seeing all sorts of media coverage about the fact that college graduates had much higher life time earnings. It also coincided somewhat with when we started shipping jobs out of the country thru NAFTA. Now we're seeing what happens when you shove a bunch of people into university level education - who should never have been there in the first place. They take "easy" classes - like "Theory of Gender Queerness" and shit like that because it sounds like an easy A for an elective - and end up screwed in the head for life - because they're too stupid to understand what is going on.

I took Sociology classes in university from a guy who I later realized was an outright communist. I took the guy twice - and passed the class with an A both times. That's because I understood exactly what the guy was talking about, could reiterate it back to him in a way he liked to hear , and because I could give him back exactly the bullshit he was looking to hear whenever there was test or we had to write a paper. The class didn't really screw with my head at all - but I had friends who hated the guy. They got shit grades - because they just couldn't tolerate the crap the guy was spewing.

But seriously - if you had say $5million dollars and you were 18 years old - WhyTF go to college? What's the REAL point of it? You already have $5 million dollars - unless you're some sort of superstar you're unlikely to ever earn that much thru your day job. Better to take the money - buy yourself a decent house (something most college graduates are still trying to do in their 30's) - and then start a company with the rest of the money - or invest it. Plus it's pretty apparent by the products they've been putting out (Antifah and BLM members) - that there's a lot of colleges these days are just a really poor investment. You go there for four years - and come out with your head phucked up for life.

Many years ago now I remember hearing a radio show on my way to work where they interviewed that Frankie Muniz kid from Malcolm in the Middle. They were asking him what he was going to do now that the show was over. The kid actually sounded pretty smart - he was like " well I have enough money that I don't have to ever work again if I don't want to ( I looked it up - he's worth something like $40mil now) - so as long as I don't do something stupid or get hooked on drugs - I'm pretty much set for life"

I actually thought he sounded pretty smart. He said he was just going to spend some time concentrating on getting his life setup nicely - and figure out what he wanted to do next.

If Covington kid is smart - he'll do the same. Plus given who he is - college might be really bad. He'd probably get attacked by SJWs on a constant basis.

Last edited:

Baby Billy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - the legal team probably took most of that. But - the kid probably still walked away with a few mil in his pocket - and if the whole thing was settled for even half of the $250mil amount they wanted - then it means that the NYT is just that much poorer now. It also means that they're just that much more likely to win some of the other suits as well.
WashPoo<>NYT. Or does it?

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
50/50 odds the kid will get decent professional advice from someone not trying to rip him off and be set for life, vs either be cheated out of it; spend like it is bottomless; or get too generous with all the people coming out of the woodwork.

If i ever came into that kind of money my first rule would be "I'll make some donations, but if you ask, you or your org will not make the list".

That kid could get a Ferrari, set himself up as a real BC Eagle Ace, have all the not-guilty women he wanted, and need a great attorney to set up the proper mechanisms to protect his assets.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True, but how many MSM outlets are going to give this any significant coverage, if they cover it at all?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
True, but how many MSM outlets are going to give this any significant coverage, if they cover it at all?
The lawyers will find out, those are the ones that matter. They will find people and offer their services every time there is a controversial news piece. Like ambulance chasers.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember their being a very long list of companies his lawyer said they would be going after. I hope this is still true. Anybodyknow if they can legally go after the celebs who were calling for this kids head on twitter? I hope so, even if he doesn't see a dime from someone like Chris Evans or Mark Rufalo. It would teach Hollywood a lesson (maybe) if some of them went broke from lawyer fees as a result of their own stupidity if Sandman's lawyers come after them. Karma can be real bitch, and then sometimes it can make you into one.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I sent my 2 sons to college (state schools living in dorms/apartments) for them to train for their chosen professions, Exercise Science for one and PE for the other. The ES guy is training to be a mason (thanks to Covid) and the PE guy is working with troubled yoots. So why college? Because it broadened their universe, encouraged independence, and largely formed their current social circle. They are definitely not indoctrinated, as they have a firm grasp of critical thinking, thanks to that being the focus of the Charter School they attended. They're diligently paying back the $27K in federal loans they took, i covered the rest. Very good trade, IMO.

If they each had $3M Trust Fund, I'd still want them to do it. Hell, i'm hoping to go to (audit) Law School when i retire in 5 years. Not to practice, cause that'd be ghey, but just for the fun, understanding, and intellectual stimulation of it. Know the enemy, right? This young man hit the jackpot, I'd love to see him at Harvard or UC-Berkeley!

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The colleges are going to have a real problem in a couple of years once the get done milking (bilking might be a better term) students who have a sunk cost of a couple of years of tuition already paid for. Prospective new students are not going to be fooled by "The education is as good, and worth the same $$, because it is taught by our professors who are world class despite this not being a world class school".

My wife got a doctorate from a accredited school that is mainly on-campus and her on-line degree (with a bit of time at the actual campus) is identical in every respect to those earned taking the courses in person.

Last edited:

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Why is that?
So his parents would not control the money on his behalf. The last thing a kid about to turn 18 needs is to have a windfall in a custodial account where another party can make any decision or use of the money the claim is in the kids best interest.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
So his parents would not control the money on his behalf. The last thing a kid about to turn 18 needs is to have a windfall in a custodial account where another party can make any decision or use of the money the claim is in the kids best interest.
Lol, 18 year old kid? You have more confidence than me that he won't spend it all on cars, chick's, and probably blow.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'd to see this concept crumble.

I'm not saying I believe this, but I hope he's right:
For example, they could hire world-class professors to create online courses for, say, $200,000/year. Each professor might teach 250 students per school year, which works out to roughly $800 per student. Tack on the cost of running the online course, plus a profit for the college, and you could probably charge each student $3,000/year
So, $3K*10 classes per year = $30K*4 = $120K.
Kids can go to State schools for less than that today.

But good try Forbes, good try.

Top Bottom