Wasr 10 missing chuck of metal

Just picked up this AK last Friday. Shot 200 rounds. Took it apart to clean it, and discovered this chuck of missing metal. Any advice on how I would get this repaired? Appears to be the trunion.

Attachments

• 5F8110DB-9224-48EA-A2D5-3F0680B426E5.jpeg
    5F8110DB-9224-48EA-A2D5-3F0680B426E5.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 229
  • E92D7A3D-9C51-4180-A48E-40010A81AFFA.jpeg
    E92D7A3D-9C51-4180-A48E-40010A81AFFA.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 229
How much was this one listed for. Trying to remember what one this was from the classifieds.

1,500. Came with 2 preban mags. It popped up like last Wednesday.
yeah.. That one went pretty quick. I am looking at one of mine and its pretty close to what you have. Not as jagged not perfect in that area

Yeah honestly I think you'll be fine. The most important thing is the magazines feed and secure well in the magwell. If it really bothers you, I suppose you could fill it with JBWeld and file it smooth. But I think it's just a cosmetic defect. You have an AK that shoots. That's all it's meant to do.

check it with a headpsace gauge, maybe take a needle file and clean that jagged edge up a bit so it isn't a stress riser and it doesn't crack, clean it up and make sure there are no other cracks and move on. The barrel will probably be shot out before that fails. Long as the headspace is good I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on it. If you want to get it fixed send it to rifle dynamics and get it turned into something actually worth $1500.

I think it will be extremely difficult for you to find anyone that will put a stamp of approval that the rifle is 100% safe to shoot.
Will it go bang everytime you pull the trigger? Absolutely.
That area could have been there for some time and never had issues.
Did the seller dump it on your lap knowing there was an issue? Who knows.

You know there is an issue now, and if you want to reduce the chances of it ever blowing up, have that area worked on.
I'd call up Pullman arms in Worcester and see if they could take a look at it and see if any weld buildup in that are would help your cause.

That lug could come off at anytime. You, I, or a qualified gunsmith cannot answer as to if or when at all that could happen.

If it does fail, you are looking at much more in depth job and more expensive job to repair that (basically rebuild entire rifle) than trying to repair the area now.

If it were my rifle, I'd shoot it until it fails, keeping an eye on it from time to time to see if any stress cracks appear.

Some reading with pics.

Good luck. If you do have it worked on, post pics with results.

Screenshot_20210404-153853_Chrome.jpg

The area in red is where you want to inspect for any stress cracks.

Again, if you want to sleep better at night, Google non destructive inspection places near you. See if they will test a rifle with you there. (I'm not sure of any FFLs that offer this service.)

Probably is but that metal must be there for a reason.
I agree with @Picton but yes you want it a good usable gun. Get a repair and move on. Not sure i would gonafter the seller. Either you missed it during inspection when you bought it. Or it happened after you got it. Maybe a decent smith will tell you how it happened. And if that happens please share with us

Romanian parts are easy to come by. In an ideal world, you’d source a Romanian trunnion and bring it to a gunsmith familiar with AKs to repair; then the seller, while not obligated to, would offer to split the cost of the repair.

Or you could sink another couple of thousand dollars into your $500 WASR to have Jim Fuller’s old company work it over.

I know what I’d do.

Back
Top Bottom