Waterfowl 2020/21

Nice. My upland pups' days in the field are over (osteosarcoma in the 12 y.o, pointer, collapsing trachea in the 14 y.o. cocker). More days for deer I suppose, so I'll be looking here for the bird reports.

If you don't have a dog you need a vessel of some type or a fishing pole with a treble hook to retrieve them. Unless you want to take a dip. Some smaller lead free shot is handy for dispatching cripples when they pop their heads up light them up.

Are dogs pretty much required for waterfowl, or do they just make it easier?
They make it easier. My lab is too old now to hunt so I either wear chest waders or if the water is too deep I bring a kayak. Having a good bird dog is a lot of fun though.

Great Job "Marine" If we teach them when they are young, we won't have to fight when they get older.

REM870 and I are heading tomorrow morning.

I missed out on the early coastal split since I was out on the boat but looking forward to sea duck opening Tuesday & the late split on Thanksgiving.
I hate the way the coastal season is the last 2 years, it seems like such a waste of 12 days with it open during shotgun deer season. Very limited on what you can do with the dog & wearing orange kills jump shooting if the blind doesn't pan out.
I love shooting GWT & woodies in the early season, that little annual cold snap in mid November usually drives out the majority of them by the time it opens back up

My first mallard this season. Hopefully not the last! Since starting a family I don’t get out for waterfowl like I used to and probably only average taking 3 ducks per year, but I savor it when I do get out. Nice healthy drake 15 minutes ago and first thing I did was check for a band. I’ve never shot a banded bird.
4ADA3FF1-928F-4B6A-BF32-317A85D94E92.jpeg

Nice job! Those things must have touched down hard

It was a wild time time to see a flock come so close, been doing this for years and never had a flock come this close before, our cover was perfect, calling them in was spot on and it was several splashes as I got two, ( I was in the middle ) guy on the right and left got one each.
10 Min later another set, they both picked up there limit to. Made for a kick azz season that's for sure.

Nice job... how do you like that SX4?
It's on my short list for a new hunting shotty but it kind of look like extra barrels are hard to find,

I love it. It took over the role of my waterfowl gun several years back after I decided to retire the 11-87 to a backup gun. My only gripe about the SX4 is the trigger pull but it’s really not that bad.

I have always wanted to try hunting ducks or geese. I know how to shoot a shotgun, but ID'ing the species, and knowing hunting methods/techniques is where I would need a "duck sensei" to follow for a while. Then, if I really liked it I'd have to buy all the waterproof and camo gear.

I have always wanted to try hunting ducks or geese. I know how to shoot a shotgun, but ID'ing the species, and knowing hunting methods/techniques is where I would need a "duck sensei" to follow for a while. Then, if I really liked it I'd have to buy all the waterproof and camo gear.
Agreed, I have done a lot of research and watched many how to videos on YouTube but most of those guys are in the Midwest. it seems like the Northeast is a whole different ball game.

Any time anyone wants to go I normally go out every afternoon. I carry my kayak in my truck most of the season and can be on the water by 2:30-3:00 the latest, but its the last 10-15 min is when he action starts.

I hunt in the Sturbridge area, few key points. 1, if you don't have a hunting Lic you can go and watch but can not help in anyway, 2, your CCW will need to stay in the truck, as a game warden might say we used it to shoot a duck. 3, If you do get a Lic and decide to hunt, A, make sure you complete your HIP info, B, you have a your FEDERAL duck stamp, C, you have your plug in place in your shotgun to only fire 3 rounds ( one in the chamber two in the pipe )

After all that at least try to know some limit laws, so if asked you kinda sound like you know what you are talking about. Ducks in general are easy to spot over other birds, and yes its good to know limits but to limit out in one afternoon ( although its been done millions of times ) its not something pulled off every time out.

Mallards and wood ducks are easy to ID after a few times out, so if you limit on one type of bird I just sit and enjoy them flying by, tells me my cover is still good if they are still flying by me lol. Geese, ( aka rib eye in the sky ) are so easy to spot and ID, they are huge and grey, make enough noise to let you know what they are.

Gear, good boots that are warm and waterproof up to your knees or so, you will be standing in some shallow water ( 2-3"s most of the time ). Some camo, or gear that matches the area you hunt in. I went in my work pants one time, tan Carhart pants, got two ducks that day so I guess they didn't spot my non camo pants lol.
Waterproof jacket or good rain gear that's black, ducks have a keen eyes, but if your cover is good they might spot you at the last second, buy then your shooting at them anyways.

Over cast days are the best, at sunset its all over, no more hunting not worth even tying to take a duck after that time, if the warden see's you its not going to be good for you.
But when its a over cast evening the ducks start flying in early than normal and you end up with maybe 15 min of better hunting than if it was sunny. Sun set time is still the time to stop just with over cast the ducks start flying early cause they can't tell time lol.

Back
Top Bottom