Wayne County Worker Fired after Finding Gun on the Job

Click here.

John Chevilott found a gun, secured it, brought it back to the road yard in Westland, which is Wayne County property, before he turned it into police. That seems to be where the problem lies because right now in Wayne County there is not a policy describing what to do if an employee finds a gun on the job.

Well I think that there is more to this story. It sounds like someone was trying to "get' Mr. Chevilott and this incident was just a pretext for terminating him. Sometimes workplace grudges and feuds can last for decades, but when the opportune moment comes, then the person with the grudge or dislike towards another employee strikes. I have witnessed this. It may be too, that by terminating him just before he was going to retire, that there might be some fiscal reason. With so many municipalities and county governments hard pressed to pay pensions, this becomes an issue and perhaps there is an agenda to keep people from collecting a pension.

It may be too, that by terminating him just before he was going to retire, that there might be some fiscal reason. With so many municipalities and county governments hard pressed to pay pensions, this becomes an issue and perhaps there is an agenda to keep people from collecting a pension.
This.

My grandmother was all set to retire from her church as the youth coordinator after 20+ years, and the new priest fired her 6 months before her retirement. She took 70% of the congregation with her, but it just proves that this can happen anywhere.

Private sector - Shut up and take it like a man
Union - Wait a minute there is a problem here . Lets look into it

There is always the possibility that this is someone who would have been gone long ago in the private sector, but someone needed a reason and jumped on it when a chance appeared. The private sector is far less likely to keep someone they don't want around for years due to a "lack of justification".

Or, it could just be an idiot PC manager.

Private sector - Shut up and take it like a man
Union - Wait a minute there is a problem here . Lets look into it

Private sector - Fired at the whim of random idiot because... Oh well
Union - There IS a problem here. Made right... Innocent man gets livelihood back.

FIFY Rambo. Only a complete idiot "Takes it like a Man" when he didn't do anything wrong.

Private sector - Fired at the whim of random idiot because... Oh well
Union - There IS a problem here. Made right... Innocent man gets livelihood back.

Private sector - Person paying the bill gets to decide if (s)he wished to continue purchasing a service.

Public sector - Employees are entitled to "fairness", and the person paying the bill is not allowed to continuously re-evaluate the merits of the labor purchase decision.

Just think how you would feel if you hired a landscaper and found out that they they "owned" your account, and you could not discontinue their services if you got a better bid, or were not happy with the work - unless you proved their work was substandard (and you continued to pay the full fee while a determination of the quality of their work was made so you could be told if you were allowed to replace them). I can hear it now "Oh, but that's different - we're talking about my money, I'm only for "fairness" when it's the taxpayers money, and not mine, at stake".

Spouting the same old tired BS about entitlement vs whatever....has nothing to do with my point.
If you were THAT guy in the story you'd be singing a whole different tune....and you're a liar if you say otherwise.

Spouting the same old tired BS about entitlement vs whatever....has nothing to do with my point.
If you were THAT guy in the story you'd be singing a whole different tune....and you're a liar if you say otherwise.

Absolutely true.

The point is that we do not know from the story if the individual would have been let go long ago but for union protections, and if this firing is really for the specific offense cited or just something they are using it to justify something the employer wanted to do for a long time.

As is typical with media reports, you never know what additional material information is being omitted.

Chevilott also was let go for insubordination and unauthorized access to the road yard.

My guess is they were just looking for another reason to fire the guy. He would have been better off if he had just kept his mouth shut, taken the gun home, and then turned it in at the next gun "buy back." [wink]

Back
Top Bottom