• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

We should be making plans

I got my General a month after my Tech.,
but I was dawdling over my Extra study guide for over four months
(it externally looked like I was "savoring" the material,
but I was really just slow-walking it).
Then I woke up and decided to just Get Er Done.
I'm about four months into my ARRL Extra Study Guide. You made a previous post about not opening it and getting hit in the face with integral calculus, which is true, but there is some relatively heavy math. My approach has been to read, answer the questions as I come across them in the book (by going to the question pool in the back), make sure I understand, continue. Some chapters were very slow going and I already learned most of this stuff in college (awhile ago). But seeing the applications for the science and math is really interesting to me. Once I finish, I'll head to the question pool, highlight the correct answers and study that way a few times while I look for a localish test to take.

I put up a DxCommander a few weeks ago and am really impressed. It's effectively a 1/4 wave vertical fan. No tuner needed on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 10, 12. 15m is the only band that doesn't have its own element (it bootlegs off 40). You kind of have to pick your spots you tune it for on a few of the bands, but it definitely reaches places my POS G5RV Jr wouldn't reach. And I don't have to mess with a tuner!

Anyway, I came back to this thread because I'm thinking about an 80m NVIS setup, maybe just a dipole strung along/near the fence in the back yard. Yes, it would be pretty compromised at such a low height, but it sure would be easy to setup. Just something to play with in the winter.

For the techs out there, you do have some room on 10m (28.300 to 28.500 SSB) if you want to play around with HF. It's really not a useful NVIS band, but it'll get you farther than 2m/70cm. I'm not on 10 much, but when I am pretty much all the traffic is in that area, because it's available to the most people.

1660784241134.png

80m? Oh darn...I guess I’ll have to buy that new antenna I’ve been quietly socking cash away for now!!!

Let me know day(s) and time(s) - continuity of communication can’t be stopped.

80m? Oh darn...I guess I’ll have to buy that new antenna I’ve been quietly socking cash away for now!!!

Let me know day(s) and time(s) - continuity of communication can’t be stopped.
If you want to do beam, then you probably have to buy. But my favorite 80 or 160 meter, all band antenna is a Carolina Windom, which you can build yourself for cheap money. I have one, and unless there is an insane pileup, I can work anything I hear. I tune it from 6 to 160.

If you want to do beam, then you probably have to buy. But my favorite 80 or 160 meter, all band antenna is a Carolina Windom, which you can build yourself for cheap money. I have one, and unless there is an insane pileup, I can work anything I hear. I tune it from 6 to 160.
Is that a slightly modified off center fed dipole? Looks like the same basic construction just using a different off-center ratio.

When you say you tune it from 6-160, do you mean with a tuner or that you dial in the lengths and it's resonant (or damn near) on everything from 6-160? I've got a spot where I'm always setting up and taking down an antenna where I was considering a permanent 160m (or maybe just 80m) OFCD but I have heard that the 1/3, 2/3 ratio is good, but not optimal.

Is that a slightly modified off center fed dipole? Looks like the same basic construction just using a different off-center ratio.

When you say you tune it from 6-160, do you mean with a tuner or that you dial in the lengths and it's resonant (or damn near) on everything from 6-160? I've got a spot where I'm always setting up and taking down an antenna where I was considering a permanent 160m (or maybe just 80m) OFCD but I have heard that the 1/3, 2/3 ratio is good, but not optimal.
I use a tuner. It is off center fed, but with a vertical element and a choke.

The Nashua Ham Radio Club (N1FD) is doing their tech class ONLINE = on January 23rd and 24th, 2021.
(You do not have to be from Nashua or even from NH for this. People from all over New England can do this, especially because its done online with ZOOM).
They will also be doing a general class in March.

Nashua Area Radio Society Amateur Radio License Class Offerings (n1fd.org)

You take the exam on the second day at the end of class. 99.9% of students pass. And even if you flunk the first exam, you can re-take it right then and there (using a different set of questions).

View attachment 434891
I signed up last weekend for the tech class they’re offering 9/17-9/18. I have heard nothing from them yet. Are they typically slow to respond?

I signed up last weekend for the tech class they’re offering 9/17-9/18. I have heard nothing from them yet. Are they typically slow to respond?
Anita handles all the training. She and most of the NARS officers were down in Marlboro for HamXposition last weekend and are probably still unpacking everything (NARS exhibit was probably 1/4 of the large exhibit hall).

I would expect that you'll hear from her this week, but you had better have been studying the Gordon West book on Tech already. My Wife took that class this past Spring and is now studying for the General class that she wants to take next month. I'm going to start studying for the Extra class for November.

We ordered the books and audio CDs directly from Gordon West and the arrived in a couple of days. www.w5yi.org

Good luck.

Anita handles all the training. She and most of the NARS officers were down in Marlboro for HamXposition last weekend and are probably still unpacking everything (NARS exhibit was probably 1/4 of the large exhibit hall).

I would expect that you'll hear from her this week, but you had better have been studying the Gordon West book on Tech already. My Wife took that class this past Spring and is now studying for the General class that she wants to take next month. I'm going to start studying for the Extra class for November.

We ordered the books and audio CDs directly from Gordon West and the arrived in a couple of days. www.w5yi.org

Good luck.

Thanks Len.

I was contemplating to mention your name as someone that could be contacted, and that would be proactively helpful in providing info as an active N1FD member.

Where in Mass? If SE Mass, check the Whitman club (wa1npo.org).
Thanks I guess somewhere in Metro West ideally - but right now Nashua is closer for me than Whitman.

I looked here and everything in person is > 1 hour from me

Thanks Len.

I was contemplating to mention your name as someone that could be contacted, and that would be proactively helpful in providing info as an active N1FD member.
I'm not really very active in NARS since they went virtual once Covid hit and even now you need to show a vax card to attend their hybrid meetings (at Nashua Public Library). I don't show my vax card to anyone other than my PCP, so as I told the current president of NARS (who lobbied to drop the stupidity but was out-voted) they will never see my face at another meeting with that requirement. Additionally, Londonderry F&G has their meetings on the same night and they have been fielding candidates for governor, US senate and congress. It's more important for me to understand who our political people are (as a newbie to NH) than attend a NARS meeting plus they video them and post them on the website, so I can watch them anytime I want.

Thanks I guess somewhere in Metro West ideally - but right now Nashua is closer for me than Whitman.

I looked here and everything in person is > 1 hour from me
i did the nashua (n1fd.org) tech class last weekend. it's on zoom but was still very informative. they did several demos of using equipment and making contacts. i'm not certain that i would have learned more in person vs. watching them on zoom. the class was essentially going over the test questions. each chapter of the gordon west book was "taught" by different volunteers. some of them went into more detail than others but all answered any questions that were thrown at them. they really should be commended for their enthusiasm and friendliness. i can't say that i learned everything i was hoping to learn but i did learn things i didn't realize i needed to know.
others have said that hammering the practice tests is the best way to pass. i will agree with this. i used qrz.com and within a day was regularly scoring 85 or higher.
my call sign was issued this morning.[smile]

i did the nashua (n1fd.org) tech class last weekend. it's on zoom but was still very informative. they did several demos of using equipment and making contacts. i'm not certain that i would have learned more in person vs. watching them on zoom. the class was essentially going over the test questions. each chapter of the gordon west book was "taught" by different volunteers. some of them went into more detail than others but all answered any questions that were thrown at them. they really should be commended for their enthusiasm and friendliness. i can't say that i learned everything i was hoping to learn but i did learn things i didn't realize i needed to know.
others have said that hammering the practice tests is the best way to pass. i will agree with this. i used qrz.com and within a day was regularly scoring 85 or higher.
Congratulations.

My Wife took that class back in the Spring and she's studying now and planning on taking the General next month with NARS. n1fd.org

If I get time to study, I'm planning on taking the NARS course for Extra in a couple of months, if not, take it in the Spring.

Congratulations. Did you take the test online too?

The way I look at the tests is that they cover the basic understanding of important areas of the hobby/service. The nice thing is the test is there to be passed. Then you've been exposed to some things to go try. Hams want people to be hams, otherwise there's nobody to talk to.

Congratulations. Did you take the test online too?
Nashua Area Radio Society is doing everything online only (with a caveat). They just recently are allowing in-person attendance at meetings, but you have to contact an officer and provide a copy of your vax card in advance to attend. I suppose you have to wear a mask as well, but I didn't ask. I was speaking with the new club president about it a short while ago and he was outvoted (he wanted to follow CDC guidelines only - meaning no required proof or masks). I told him that they will never see me at another meeting as long as this stupid requirement exists.

It's a great club, but there are some people who are scared to death of Covid (and they do have personal health issues), so the mandate continues.

Nashua Area Radio Society is doing everything online only (with a caveat). They just recently are allowing in-person attendance at meetings, but you have to contact an officer and provide a copy of your vax card in advance to attend.... It's a great club, but there are some people who are scared to death of Covid (and they do have personal health issues), so the mandate continues.
Come on up to GSARA in Manchester.
There's a lot of elderly members so they are still into masking (not sure if mandatory for meetings, but was mandatory for the in-person ham exam last week) , but no "papers please" insistence on a vax card.

Come on up to GSARA in Manchester.
There's a lot of elderly members so they are still into masking (not sure if mandatory for meetings, but was mandatory for the in-person ham exam last week) , but no "papers please" insistence on a vax card.
Good to know of another local group. Thanks.

NARS meetings are the same night and time as my Londonderry F&G meetings, so I've been going to LF&G those nights. NARS records all meetings and posts them to their website for members access anytime we want to watch them.

Thanks all for the assistance. Just got my callsign on Thursday!

I didn't end up doing a training in person after all

First I read
  • Technician Class 2018-2022: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technician Class Test - The Easy Way
Then realized it was out of date - ha ha then I read
  • The Gordon West "2022-2026 Technician Class"
Took a bunch of notes (I find writing helps me remember).

Then I did practice exams on HamExam.org: Technician Practice Exam until I was regularly scoring 90%+
Did the test at MIT on Wednesday and scored 35/35

Now looking for a club or other ways to get some "reps" in and learn more - I see the recommendations above - a pity so many are still worried about the Coof
and still insist on vaccinations.
Maybe I'll just do online for now. Appreciate any suggestions on next steps to practice what I am licensed for :)

Thanks!

Thanks all for the assistance. Just got my callsign on Thursday!

I didn't end up doing a training in person after all

First I read
  • Technician Class 2018-2022: Pass Your Amateur Radio Technician Class Test - The Easy Way
Then realized it was out of date - ha ha then I read
  • The Gordon West "2022-2026 Technician Class"
Took a bunch of notes (I find writing helps me remember).

Then I did practice exams on HamExam.org: Technician Practice Exam until I was regularly scoring 90%+
Did the test at MIT on Wednesday and scored 35/35

Now looking for a club or other ways to get some "reps" in and learn more - I see the recommendations above - a pity so many are still worried about the Coof
and still insist on vaccinations.
Maybe I'll just do online for now. Appreciate any suggestions on next steps to practice what I am licensed for :)

Thanks!
Congrats.

ARRL lists all affiliated clubs (not all are affiliated) and you can search by state or town here: Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

I recommend going to the websites for clubs near you, see what they do for activities that might interest you, etc. Check for Covid paranoia and perhaps pay a visit to one or two on their meeting nights to see if it fits your interest before deciding where to join up.

Nashua Area Radio Society is doing everything online only (with a caveat). They just recently are allowing in-person attendance at meetings, but you have to contact an officer and provide a copy of your vax card in advance to attend. I suppose you have to wear a mask as well, but I didn't ask. I was speaking with the new club president about it a short while ago and he was outvoted (he wanted to follow CDC guidelines only - meaning no required proof or masks). I told him that they will never see me at another meeting as long as this stupid requirement exists.

It's a great club, but there are some people who are scared to death of Covid (and they do have personal health issues), so the mandate continues.
This is a good example of what was running through my head in regards to the Elmers in the HAM world. Any comms plan should incorporate ham radio, the problem is getting EVERYONE in your circle to study, take the exam, and pass it. Realistically it's not going to happen, unless your circle is a small one.

I imagine if there was a major civil disturbance the .gov will shut down cell towers and the internet almost immediately to prevent their rivals from closing and destroying them. This leaves radio frequencies. I am certain there are plenty of Karen Elmers that will be more than happy to help the feds locate transmitting repeaters and stations that are helping the good guys. Licensed or not licensed, it will depend on who you are helping. I can guarantee it.

So remember kids if the S does hit the F and the feds still have a head on the snake, make your transmissions quick, and if you have to transmit in the same location somewhat often use the minimal power necessary. Test how much juice you need to reach each one of your lads and don't bank on repeaters being there.

This is a good example of what was running through my head in regards to the Elmers in the HAM world. Any comms plan should incorporate ham radio, the problem is getting EVERYONE in your circle to study, take the exam, and pass it. Realistically it's not going to happen, unless your circle is a small one.

I imagine if there was a major civil disturbance the .gov will shut down cell towers and the internet almost immediately to prevent their rivals from closing and destroying them. This leaves radio frequencies. I am certain there are plenty of Karen Elmers that will be more than happy to help the feds locate transmitting repeaters and stations that are helping the good guys. Licensed or not licensed, it will depend on who you are helping. I can guarantee it.

So remember kids if the S does hit the F and the feds still have a head on the snake, make your transmissions quick, and if you have to transmit in the same location somewhat often use the minimal power necessary. Test how much juice you need to reach each one of your lads and don't bank on repeaters being there.
The Tech Prepper does a lot of videos on comms prepping. Lately he's been doing a series called "No Random Contacts" where he has a sked with a couple of people and they try to make contact. They'll have a primary band/mode, with backups. Only once have I seen him use a repeater as part of that. The repeater might be part of the plan, but only once have they had to go to it. He's huge into training like he fights, heading out into the desert with radio gear to try things out. He's got his neighborhood all scoped out to see what kinds of range he gets with various radios/antennas/etc.

One of the ways he puts his equipment and planning to use is volunteering for races/events. He was involved with the Javelina Jundred, a 100 mile desert race, as the comms guy at an aid station. I don't think he ended up needing it, but he was all ready to go with a cross band repeater in the vehicle, which is something I could see being very useful. HT on UHF to the vehicle, then cross band repeating on VHF.

He gets pretty heavy into packet stuff which is interesting to me, but is far more software-y than I can to go. No matter how dumbed down someone puts it, I get lost in the 58 layers of software and whatnot needed to get it to work. I'll be happy if I can get winlink going.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-ky0iE1c8&list=PLZpc6PnzmzmHfXxqeluz6q-rYCElhMuZa

My buddy Rob doesn't post here anymore, he moved out to the midwest. He's a pretty smart dude. He told me he studied for a few days then took and passed all three exams. And he told it to me like everybody does it that way. [rofl]

My buddy Rob doesn't post here anymore, he moved out to the midwest. He's a pretty smart dude. He told me he studied for a few days then took and passed all three exams. And he told it to me like everybody does it that way. [rofl]
You could pass, but you might not learn much. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I forgot to mention the traffic nets might be worth tuning into on your local repeater (or regional nets on HF). I've been listening and trying to copy the messages being passed. It's tough but I think part of it is the jargon, part is they take shortcuts and don't pass all the parts of the radiogram form (so I lose track of where they are), and part is because they link a bunch of repeaters together and if people don't key up, wait a few seconds, then talk you might miss some of what they say.

For non-SHTF emergencies, it could be valuable. Or at least to be involved enough to know how to do it.

You could pass, but you might not learn much. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I forgot to mention the traffic nets might be worth tuning into on your local repeater (or regional nets on HF). I've been listening and trying to copy the messages being passed. It's tough but I think part of it is the jargon, part is they take shortcuts and don't pass all the parts of the radiogram form (so I lose track of where they are), and part is because they link a bunch of repeaters together and if people don't key up, wait a few seconds, then talk you might miss some of what they say.

For non-SHTF emergencies, it could be valuable. Or at least to be involved enough to know how to do it.
Yeah, I lose that linked repeater stuff too. With some focused effort, I’m sure I could figure it out, but now that I’m retired I don’t have that kind of time 😅

But seriously, I’ve learned that stuff that doesn’t come to me pretty quickly is stuff I can learn but will lose without regular practice. Like shooting - with weekly practice I’m quick and accurate. When I don’t practice frequently, I know I have to be relatively slow to be accurate. That’s about knowing your limitations.

With EmComms, I think I’ll have to settle for lesser roles. There’s enough guys that can do it well, so I don’t mind slipping down the utility ladder to simple nets and P2P work.

The weak link in the process is the served services - they have become so tech reliant that if it fails, odds are slim that anybody on site can make use of the EmComms. If one of the ARES folks can’t set up at their site to run their end, they’d be SOL.

Yeah, I lose that linked repeater stuff too. With some focused effort, I’m sure I could figure it out, but now that I’m retired I don’t have that kind of time 😅

But seriously, I’ve learned that stuff that doesn’t come to me pretty quickly is stuff I can learn but will lose without regular practice. Like shooting - with weekly practice I’m quick and accurate. When I don’t practice frequently, I know I have to be relatively slow to be accurate. That’s about knowing your limitations.

With EmComms, I think I’ll have to settle for lesser roles. There’s enough guys that can do it well, so I don’t mind slipping down the utility ladder to simple nets and P2P work.

The weak link in the process is the served services - they have become so tech reliant that if it fails, odds are slim that anybody on site can make use of the EmComms. If one of the ARES folks can’t set up at their site to run their end, they’d be SOL.
You simply can't rely on served services. You gotta be able to reach a few members in your group simplex, that message can be repeated if necessary.

NVIS on HF

Now looking for a club or other ways to get some "reps" in and learn more
Not sure where you are but we have a pretty active club in Natick that focuses on new hams and education. The club is run out of a nonprofit makerspace so there is a shack with radios to use also. Meetings are every Tuesday evening.

Not sure where you are but we have a pretty active club in Natick that focuses on new hams and education. The club is run out of a nonprofit makerspace so there is a shack with radios to use also. Meetings are every Tuesday evening.
I was licensed through these guys at the beginning of the plandemic. Bob is the head man and I really enjoyed his class. Too bad they’re in natic and I’m on the northshore.

Back
Top Bottom