We should be making plans

I just spent the last three hours reading the AMRRON site..
I've been a "member" of AMRRON for a number of years...there used to be an HF (80 or 40 meters depending on time of year) net on Sunday nights with net control coming out of Georgia. They also do digital nets which I have monitored but never actively participated in. Propagation for the 80/40 SSB nets was not so good though maybe it has or will get better with sunspots finally climbing.

How about one of these
$4k and your good to go!
In Stock! $2600, $275, $68
Power $408, $440
Base station ground rod $13.50 plus wire & rod clamp
Interesting range table

So after doing some reading on AMRRON I see there are numerous bands used for these nets...frs, gmrs, cb and so on. Given the relative ubiquity of marine vhf radios, particularly in coastal areas, why aren‘t they part of the net infrastructure? Am I missing something? I’ll probably take a class soon but just exploring this hobby..

I cant believe that this is working, I used MixW
You were good out to Wisconsin on 40 watts. Strong at my place too. I dialed back my power so I wouldnt annoy you.
Still trying to hit the PNW direct at times and I’m usually maxed at 100 watts.

Given the relative ubiquity of marine vhf radios, particularly in coastal areas, why aren‘t they part of the net infrastructure?
Because the Coast Guard will send an attack helicopter if they catch you
using Marine VHF for land comms?

They get loads of false MAYDAYs every summer,
and have taken to using LoJack and carrier fingerprint technology to track people down.

Because the Coast Guard will send an attack helicopter if they catch you
using Marine VHF for land comms?

They get loads of false MAYDAYs every summer,
and have taken to using LoJack and carrier fingerprint technology to track people down.

[thumbsup] Quite_Exasperated
BTW, I was kidding about the attack helicopter[rofl],
but not the tracking stuff.[shocked]

I should add that some deer hunters love them some Marine VHF,
because the mobile and base units have kickass power,
and so do the (probably waterproof) handhelds.

But a few have may have lived to regret being so happy with
how their gear performs in the Alleghenies
that the next year they take it to happy hunting grounds
facing the St. Lawrence Seaway.

I have been a nominal member of this for some years and they have some good information on their site...Sometimes I think they might be a bit tin foilish (perhaps not, now that we are where we are in time) but I used to participate in their 40 and 75 meter nets. I haven't for a while because of propagation issues but that seems to be getting better.

Seems that AMRRON has been bumped from their provider...every time I try to log in, I get this:

1611884299944.png

It's been like this for a few days now (at least)...I may have to email the site owner and ask what's up...

GMRS Repeaters? Considering GBRS to stay in touch with family members about 12 miles away. Would access to a GMRS Repeater get me there?
Repeater can go up to 50 watts, so if positioned appropriately, should work, assuming the repeater remains available.

If you have line-of-sight (no big hills in the path) to the family, could one or both of you put up a tower on your own property?

Last edited:
Repeater can go up to 50 watts, so if positioned appropriately, should work, assuming the repeater remains available.

If you have line-of-sight (no big hills in the path) to the family, could one or both of you put up a tower on your own property?
I'm not super up to date on GMRS rules, but if you used directional antennas on those repeaters, that might buy you some range as well. I think you need to register repeaters and they become somewhat public, but I don't know how much of a problem that would be in real life.

I'm not super up to date on GMRS rules, but if you used directional antennas on those repeaters, that might buy you some range as well. I think you need to register repeaters and they become somewhat public, but I don't know how much of a problem that would be in real life.
It's perfectly valid to deny any or all people access to a ham repeater,
so I bet private GMRS repeaters are OK (and could even be the norm).

There is a discord for Massachusetts gun owners but its heavily influenced by /k/ so they're type of humor might not jive with some of the boomers around here.

Time change... try 8pm est time , each night this week
So let's pick a frequency and get as many as we can on and check conditions.
75 M would be the way to go, never going to talk a hundred miles with a portable that the government enforced shut down of all repeaters,
So no more talk... who's up for trying?
3.855 mhz each night this week (4/11/2021 until 4/17/2021)
By doing over a week it gives everyone that can the ability to try and at the end of the week we can come up with once a week evening discussion.
NES net ?
Technicians this gives you a great reason to upgrade.... it's not hard and no code.
Better to be prepared now than try and get something going later when we have no means to pass this on,

Last edited:
So? 3.855MHz tomorrow night? 9pm?
I will see if I can reach. Temp g5rv location is only a few feet off the ground.
Similar setup here, I just tried to tune it in and it's pretty noisy. Could be the time of day. Could be the antenna being 20-25' off the ground. I'll give it a go this week though and see if I can hear anyone.

I was on 3.855 LSB at around 5:00 Monday afternoon, tons of noise, no contacts. I'm WFH today and have the radio on, much lower noise floor today / this time of day. I'll be monitoring until about 4:30 today (Tuesday).

Several of the world’s most trafficked websites were inaccessible or running unreliably Tuesday morning, with many impacted sites showing 503 errors.

Where did the backup comms discussion end up? In the terlet?

4chan? Are we using match.com as cover?

Several of the world’s most trafficked websites were inaccessible or running unreliably Tuesday morning, with many impacted sites showing 503 errors.

Where did the backup comms discussion end up? In the terlet?

4chan? Are we using match.com as cover?
It kind of went south. Only a few people wanted to be on the list and others wanted to use different bands or frequencies or modes. So we could never get more than a few people at a time to get on the air.

PSA from CMARA-- if you or anyone you know wants to take the test for their license or upgrade you can check out GLAARG VEC | Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group VEC. That’s the “Greater Los Angeles Amateur Radio Group”. They are doing virtual tests every day.
Good organization, very efficient. I took my Tech and General tests thru them this week. An hour or two study a day for a week and passed both.
KC1POY

Back
Top Bottom