Weapons Light (pistol)

I am thinking about making a home defense pistol, something I can leave locked next to the bed frame and open it if I have emergencies.

I am have a couple options for pistols, what I want to know before I go down this road is weapons lights.

I have seen there effectiveness online and in videos, but is their weight a concern. I am looking into the Streamlight because it aligns with my price range. I have seen/heard a varieties of options from everything to a strobe, solid, laser. My intention is to train, train and train with it, so my question is, is it worth getting the strobe and laser feature? I am leaning towards the TLR2s. Is this on anyone's duty firearm?

I have had a TLR-2 on my Sig P226 since October 2011. I like it. The 226 isn't the lightest gun as is, so a combo light/laser isn't going to tip the scales since it's already leaning in that direction. I haven't taken it off since I mounted it and the laser has stayed lined up for 5 yards even with 100s and 100s of rounds of ammo through the gun.

I'd only rely on the laser if firing from cover. Such when sticking my head up enough to effectively aim down the sights isn't the greatest idea, but that's just me.

Wasn't sure whether I was going to go Full or Compact, so I went with a TLR-3. Works fine.

That said, I consider it a backup to my flashlight.

Tony

I'll chime in for the TLR-1 too but check out the lumen level before you buy. I've got the HL version that's 600 lumens but I still see the older model, less lumen, models on websites.

I have the TLR1s, with the strobe. It's incredibly bright and the controls are right at the tip of my finger or thumb, depending on my grip and which weapon I put it on. It was like $103 on Amazon and well worth it. I can't really vouch for the effectiveness of the strobe except for trying it out on myself, which disoriented the hell out of me anyway lol.

What pistols did you have in mind?

Depending on what platform your mount the light on, be sure to thoroughly check the functional reliability of the firearm.

I know an LEO whose G22 malfunctions quite frequently when he mounts his light on it.

I have had a TLR1 on 3 duty weapons (sig 229, glock 23c and now a sig 1911 tacops carry) since 2008. Always works. More than enough light, extremely durable and reasonably priced.

I'm a big proponent of flashlight in one hand and pistol in the other.
Just my preference to have an option to shine a light without flagging something/someone.

Just my preference to have an option to shine a light without flagging something/someone.
This is my view also. I keep a separate surefire light beside my bedside gun. I just don't want someone shooting at the light and I'm behind it.

Strobes and lasers are gay and unnecessary. For a weapon mounted light, the only two functions you want are "on" and "off." Extra modes just complicate things under circumstances where you want things to be as simple as possible. Like everyone else has said, just get a TLR-1.

I have a TLR2 HL and it works great. I just leave it on the light/laser setting at all times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any decent light is good enough to light up a room bouncing the light off the floor or the ceiling. And the issue with pointing a gun at person while lighting up the area is just as much of an issue if you use Harries' (or similar) flashlight techniques.

+1 for TLR 1. I have the HL model on my gen 4 G21 and absolutely love it!! Good luck, happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to fiddle with a bunch at a Streamlight booth last week. I'll be grabbing a TLR-1 HL for my job gun. I like the controls and the brightness is solid. I carry a ProTac HL3 and FourSevens Preon in addition while working. lol

TLR1 is a great choice. I have a TLR1S and I actually have it mounted on my MSAR Aug clone and it is a great rifle light as well. Very low profile if you have a rail in a good place and it comes with the rail mounts.

TLR-1 here too. Love the strobe light, but 2 years ago when we had no power for a week it was a lifesaver. Turned it on, aimed at the ceiling every night and it lit up the living room enough where we could see.

Back
Top Bottom