Weapons upgrade set to make US Special Operations even more deadly

Reptile

NES Member
U.S. Special Operations are a remarkable, formidable fighting force who are admired and feared throughout the world. Now, the military’s elite warriors are set to become even more deadly with a new addition to their arsenal.

About $48 million-worth of new, cutting-edge suppressors will be in the hands of America’s top military personnel, enhancing their capabilities on the battlefield.

For several years, Special Operations Command has been hunting for the best suppressed upper receivers for their M4A1 carbines.

They’ve chosen the Sig Sauer MCX SURG System to upgrade these weapons. The new Sig suppressor will deliver accuracy, speed and reliability.

Continues...

Weapons upgrade set to make US Special Operations even more deadly

FIRST LOOK: SOCOM’s New Suppressed Upper Receiver Group

FIRST LOOK: SOCOM’s New Suppressed Upper Receiver Group - The Firearm Blog

EEFF537A-1498-4229-9E74-5BF62BB072A2.jpeg

I'm pretty sure that thing is just a cover.

It's cool and all, but an MCX with a can is one gassy bitch. Not sure it's something I'd want to shoot full auto.

Good for SIG and Im sure the SURG will provide the capability theyre asking.. whatever that is.. that isnt already in the inventory. With thay said, this is a case of money needing to be spent just because it was allotted and everyone was out of ideas.

Fake News Alert! The rifle in the OP is not the rifle in the article at FoxNews. I read that article yesterday and it specifically says that the Sig upper does not use a "can", but uses a different system.

Then again, the article also says that the M4A1 is fully automatic, unlike the earlier M4 Carbine.

Read carefully, be an informed consumer of new stories.

It's either a bacon cooker or a cheese grater...

iu

That said...I like it.

looks good to me. The suppressor cover looks like it would do a good job of protecting the user. To successfully complete that firing schedule with a suppressor is not easy. A normal suppressor cover would not survive it.

Looks like a very light heat shield for gripping to control muzzle climb. I'm sure that Spec-Ops had some say in the design... or not.

Imagine the size of the pigeon-hole you would need to put that thing through a wall or fence.

Fake News Alert! The rifle in the OP is not the rifle in the article at FoxNews. I read that article yesterday and it specifically says that the Sig upper does not use a "can", but uses a different system.

Then again, the article also says that the M4A1 is fully automatic, unlike the earlier M4 Carbine.

Read carefully, be an informed consumer of new stories.
I double checked my sources...

The second link from the Firearm Blog had the photo:

The Firearm Blog is a reputable source.

Check them again. The original story on Fox News notes that there is no can on the gun. From the video, that's less clear. Of course the guns shown in the video may be prototypes, not the final production configuration.

Sig Sauer has a distinctive looking, revolutionary approach to suppressors. They look nothing like the suppressors you see in movies and TV shows – these rifle suppressors are tubeless. They’ve eliminated the outer tube typically seen with suppressors.

There is also a video at the Fox News site that shows a gun that is nothing like the one the Firearms Blog shows. I've read that blog often and they are fairly reliable. In this case, despite my not thinking much of the Fox "expert", that story is more accurate.

I double checked my sources...

The second link from the Firearm Blog had the photo:

The Firearm Blog is a reputable source.

Check them again. The original story on Fox News notes that there is no can on the gun. From the video, that's less clear. Of course the guns shown in the video may be prototypes, not the final production configuration.

There is also a video at the Fox News site that shows a gun that is nothing like the one the Firearms Blog shows. I've read that blog often and they are fairly reliable. In this case, despite my not thinking much of the Fox "expert", that story is more accurate.

I can't imagine a more quite gun without some sort of suppressor.

Maybe by "tubeless" they mean that crazy looking mesh around the suppressor.

We all need more info.

I think the Firearm Blog is a better source than FoxNews.

I started with FoxNews since that article is will be more widely read and discussed.

Back
Top Bottom