weed & LTC

Is it legal for you to have your LTC and Gun in your home if a spose or roommate has marijuana plants or weed with a medical card and for recreational use? (weed is recreational and medical in your state) (Massachusetts)

I'm going to guess and say yes,as long as you dont use the pot needles for your own enjoyment. Although in MA,if your COP finds out he can pull pull your LTC if he wants,because he can,for any reason.

Go ahead and get rip roaring drunk though..puke all over the place, pass out for 2 days ,then go out and buy a gun,totally legal.

Somebody will correct me though, I'm usually wrong.

Cannabis is illegal (at the moment) under federal law & Massachusetts feel firearms are illegal no matter what unless you have a badge

I'm going to guess and say yes,as long as you dont use the pot needles for your own enjoyment. Although in MA,if your COP finds out he can pull pull your LTC if he wants,because he can,for any reason.
The new standard is a danger to self or public safety, but the courts have been verrrry slow to recognize that, with some even citing the old Moyer standard. Some have recognized the new standard, but it is few and far between.

Are you sure he has a gun? I mean what if he’s just really creative when he gets the munchies?

2ug1kw2.jpg

Go ahead and get rip roaring drunk though..puke all over the place, pass out for 2 days ,then go out and buy a gun,totally legal.

Somebody will correct me though, I'm usually wrong.
yep that's why I'm wondering how it works with marijuana, have a friend with this issue !
Thanks for the help!

Technically, I would say it is not illegal, as long as you were not partaking in the devil's cabbage.

However, if the cops were called to the house, and found your gun along with a bunch of weed/ plants, they are almost definitely taking the guns. Yeah, they might drop the charges, but by the time it get sorted out you could have storage fees that far exceed the cost of the guns.
In most towns, it would be a miracle if your ltc was renewed, especially if you lived inside 128.

I asked an attorney I see at a local range about weed and ltc issues recently. He said recent cases show examples of the weed being ignored if everything is within legal limits. They seem to be going after dealers and impaired drivers but as far as legal possession and growing it seems fine. Of course any other chief could take action and revoke a license tomorrow.

A few years back, at Town Meeting in our Very Green town,
someone stepped up to the mic and asked the Board of Selectmen
how they would react to a pot dispensary opening in town.

The chair deferred to the police chief.

The Chief pries himself out of his chair at the departmental table,
jangles up to the mic, and sez...

What do you think?​

Unquote.

When the ensuring hilarity simmered down to a dull roar,
he went back to his seat.

When I say our town is Very Green, I mean that there was maybe one LTC-B
(could have been One Weird Legacy from a prior administration),
maybe two FIDs (and those could have been youts below age 21),
and no one had restrictions.

Either they don't trust you with guns, or you get the full license.

Yet the police wanted absolutely nothing to do with
the mega hairball of a pot dispensary inside town lines.

Now, OP writes:
... spose or roommate has marijuana plants or weed with a medical card and for recreational use?

So on the above thin facts it's at least debatable whether our police want the risk
of someone getting in to guns, at the same time that their roommate is such a stoner
that they've contracted a case of Recreational Cataracts.

And who the hell says,
"I was down at the shop today and bought some marijuana plants" -
Stacy Keach running an undercover sting?

So OP has dumped a scenario on us where
the household has a growing operation.

Time has passed since that town meeting,
but if our police put two and two together,
no one in that household might pass as "suitable".

Just an anecdote here but I've heard that Northampton is a very green town in terms of issuing unrestricted LTCs and of course they have a large recreational marijuana dispensary. Cops and pols there seem friendly to both.

So to OP, the answer is: Only if you live in Northampton ;)

But really this is part of the broader issue of conflict between state/fed law on this issue and why the STATES Act is a great idea, if for no other reason than to get Liz Warren and Trump in the same room together.

Back
Top Bottom