• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Well , Illinois sucks now more than MA.

whoops , love reading late night articles.. false alarm someone posted it onto my facebook. thought it was current

Anti-Gunner's Law passed .. they have more restrictions now than any other state i think correct? since in CA you can transfer at least

Last edited:
It is step one. The full senate needs to vote on it.
"While the measures were approved by the committee, supporters will have a tougher sell in the full Senate, where downstate Democrats as well as Republicans are more pro-gun."

It passed committee, which I think is just prep shit. It hasn't been voted on yet.

"are seeking restrictions in the wake of the school massacre in Connecticut last month and mass shootings in Wisconsin and Colorado last year. While the measures were approved by the committee, supporters will have a tougher sell in the full Senate, where downstate Democrats as well as Republicans are more pro-gun"

""For everyone that says that we're taking away their rights, well then go to the range," the Chicago Democrat told members of the Senate Public Health Committee."

"We CAN'T! You took away everything we would have gone to the range with, you jackass!" SMDH

If this passes fully, Illinois will be the crime capital of the country, and what little faith I have in humanity will finally wither and die.

It passed committee, that means it was sent onto the senate floor for an actual vote. No vote was taken because there wasn't enough support for the bill. That article is from yesterday, the bills were shelved today.

You might want to look into the legislative system in the US and find out how a bill actually becomes law.

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-r...cle_32f17fc4-55db-11e2-a7a7-001a4bcf887a.html

this.

most of us don't... sadly, but it is a process... thankfully. Double edge sword really.

Not quite. The bill was reported out by a senate committee. The bill has to be voted on by the senate, and then a corresponding bill has to be introduced and passed by the house. If there are differences between the two bills they normally go to a conference committee to try to iron out the differences.

Many bills die in committee. It is often used by legislators who want to avoid having to actually vote on a bill, particularly one that is unpopular with a big segment of voters. Having a bill die in committee takes them off the hook. Citizens who support the bill can honestly be told that the bill died in committee; citizens who oppose the bill are told that the bill never made it out of committee so there's no need to be concerned.

If the senate passes the bill it still has to be passed by the house and then signed by the governor. If the governor vetoes the bill the legislature can still pass it over the governor's veto, usually by a 2/3 vote instead of a simple majority. As long as you don't have a single party with an overwhelming majority (like MA) it is possible to stop bad bills at several points along the way...without having to actually take a stand.

There's an old saying about how making laws is a lot like making sausages. I came up with this version, which is very appropriate:

"Some twenty years ago, as I was sitting in the House of Representatives of the Illinois legislature, watching its closing hours, a member who had never spoken during the entire session arose to address the House... He said: '...I have come to the conclusion that the making of laws is like the making of sausages—the less you know about the process the more you respect the result.'"

ETA: Once again several people beat me at the keyboard. [laugh]

It's not your fault at all, but they really need to focus on teaching civics in school. There are so many people who have NO idea how the legislative branch works on a state level, never mind a federal level.

Back
Top Bottom