Well, post some military pics.

I just wanted to say thanks to all my brothers and sisters, past and present service. I thought it would be cool to post some pics of different military scenes, friends in the field, just to show those that didn't serve what we are so proud of doing. You know the good stuff, something somebody wouldn't mind showing off to other people. I will start, I hope somebody follows.

This is a scene of the NY skyline from aboard my previous ship, the USS George Washington, CVN-73. THe date stamp is correct, it was the morning of Sept 12 2001.

untitled1.jpg

Here is an aerial photo taken from a US Navy helicopter, showing the same scene, with the ship in the foreground.

GW_n_NYC.jpg

Don't have any pics that aren't buried in the attic, but I have this one of me and my pop a couple of years ago. We were in a Veterans Day parade. It was windy and about 25 degrees and COLD! I wore my old (1960's) uniform (altered considerably) and he wore his. He was at Normandy and is holding up pretty good at 80.

Web%20pop%26me_nov1999.jpg

All right, I confess, I had to get another uniform as I couldn't get into my old one. I was 159 lbs then. I'm only 50 pounds heavier now.

My pop is wearing his original.

Last edited:
Nice pictures.

Is that the remains of the twin towers burning in the background?

Mod Hat on!

I'm moving this thread to the Military forum, as a more appropriate location. I'm leaving a pointer here so others can follow it from GD.

LenS said:
Nice pictures.

Is that the remains of the twin towers burning in the background?

Mod Hat on!

I'm moving this thread to the Military forum, as a more appropriate location. I'm leaving a pointer here so others can follow it from GD.

That smoke trail you see is from ground zero. The smoke rising and being carried by the wind.

Heres a shot displaying bravery that I always liked. Looks like toilet paper in the landing craft and for good reason, I know i'd have needed it.

34661da9.jpg

This one makes me cry. I'd like to say they're rifles getting their "handling marks" before they get to Century Arms, but I know all these Mausers and AKs were destroyed instead of imported to the US. [cry]

19337731.jpg

This is me in front of one of the greatest places in the country.

3e07364e.jpg

Awesome pics everyone.

Man...that had to be something to be onboard the Washington when the towers were hit and to see the smoke billowing up. To be so close on a battle ship and unable to do anything to the ba$tards that did that....that had to be REALLY difficult.

militarypicofmartin.jpg

pic of my grandfather.

only thing i know about him is that he was stationed at pearl harbor and was injured there.

yup,it's a pic of a pic.that would explain the bad pic.don't have a scanner yet.

This one makes me cry. I'd like to say they're rifles getting their "handling marks" before they get to Century Arms, but I know all these Mausers and AKs were destroyed instead of imported to the US.

My brother in law worked for the Embassy service all around the world. The last post he had was in New Zealand. One of his jobs there was to give away ~100 M1911's that were being put out to pasture, but the military would not allow to come back to the US. Now, these had spent their lives in a crate, never fired, for ~50years... It makes me want to cry...

Matt

Heres a shot of some Finn soldiers that a friend of mine from the Parallax forums sent me.

276aeef4.jpg

The next two are of some Russian gals who know their stuff. The second one is reversed though, I just haven't flipped it back to make the bolts on the right side.

ad85786e.jpg

d97a6274.jpg

And last but not least heres a great one that I think was used as morale boost for British troops. To me it looks like a long night at the armory in the UK. :D

e610dd44.jpg

There is new ones on there too. Alan is in the background of some of the boxing ones, but can't see real good. We talked with him tonight. I'll take it to Im and fill you in on the rest.

Nice pics.

I hope they thoroughly deloused James after getting off the camel. Flies, fleas and G_d knows what else are constantly buzzing around camels (hosts for the filth that they eat) in the desert!

I've never seen a filthier, smellier animal in my life! Had the opportunity to ride one in Israel and just getting close enough was a convincer not to get on it! I would have been scratching myself for the rest of the day!

Took this shot from shore as the boat left Port Canaveral to make her 1st Poseidon launch. (She was a Polaris boat prior to overhaul)
CAPE1.jpg

I rode the telemetry ship, and got a few pictures of the bird starting her run to the south Atlantic, but the professional shot looks better. So:
"One Away!"
LAUNCH.jpg

Communication at a distance. Wonderful.

(one edit for typos)

Ray, my wife says thanks for the pix, and she says that she can one-up you: she got to ride the telemetry ship for a Trident II DASO. (Been there, done that, and she brought me a t-shirt! :))

What did you do that you got to see the shot? (Kathy is wondering.)

dwarven1 said:
Ray, my wife says thanks for the pix, and she says that she can one-up you: she got to ride the telemetry ship for a Trident II DASO. (Been there, done that, and she brought me a t-shirt! :))

What did you do that you got to see the shot? (Kathy is wondering.)

Kathy is quite welcome! I was a crewman of the sub making the launch. That was my second time at sea on a sub; I reported to the SSBN 620 in '75 at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard where she was being converted from a Polaris boat to Poseidon-capable. This was kinda like converting a shotgun from 20 ga to 12.

It was luck of the draw that I had liberty the day of our post-overhaul missile launch. I took the opportunity to ride the telemetry ship & watch the launch.

My shipboard duties were Machinist Mate Auxiliaryman; maintenance & repair of everything that wasn't steam- or electrically powered.

This one always chokes me up.

Pearl Harbor survivor Houston James of Dallas embraces Marine Staff Sgt. Mark Graunke Jr. during a Veterans Day commemoration in Dallas. Graunke lost a hand, a leg and and eye when he defused a bomb in Iraq last year.

valor.jpg

This is my buddy and "Brother" Laz AKA the Mad Russian. He's actually Bulgarian. Last month was his 40th anniversary of escaping the Bloc.

barbershop.jpg

C Co. 75th Infantry based out of Ahn Khe. Circa '69

Head over to militaryphotos.net for some great pictures. Here are a few that I have:

crossingtherhine4ye.jpg

US soldiers crossing the Rhine river in WWII.

dday23pm.jpg

US soldiers on D-Day

friend3cc.jpg

Beautiful drawing one of the guys at MilitaryPhotos.net drew.

tankandtroops6yq.jpg

Rushing into battle

These are downsized to 800x600, if they're still to large, I can get even lower.

Back
Top Bottom